PDA

View Full Version : Lubing 54 cal boolits

dddddmorgan
01-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Okay, so maybe I'm just dumber than a post... :idea:

I've gotten back into the casting business and I came into some soft lead. So I used my TC mold that cast a 54 caliber bullet. The lube grooves look like the commercial ones, the lower one is smaller and the top one is HUGE.

Anyway, the boolits look lovely but I realized something. I don't know how to lube them. I have some SPG I intend to use, how to apply? Fingers?

Sorry to be such a noob.

docone31
01-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Fingers! Yes it makes a mess!
Take along an extra rag.

waksupi
01-27-2010, 12:14 AM
I think Dixie Gunworks sells a gizmo for the purpose.

winelover
01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
I use Bore Butter for lubing maxi's. They made a nylon T- shaped adapter that screws on to the tube in place of the cap. Works great. No Fuss, no Muss.

Winelover

Charlie Sometimes
01-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Put them in a small flat bottom shallow pan, melt and pour the lube around them until the last groove is full, let them cool, and then with a tube slightly oversize of the Maxi-Ball, cut them out (cookie cutter style). Put them in a bullet box and chill until ready to use. Ta-Da, you have just pan lubed your new boolits!

357maximum
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
I gently heat the soft lube and the boolits in a shallow pan..add lube until it looks right.....swirl em around while cooling...........then dump the whole mess into a zipper bag. I just dig em out as I need them.

PS. I carry a rag on my belt loop when shooting.

Geraldo
01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I've got a TC lube gizmo that screws onto the Bore Butter tube for lubing .54s (might also have a .45) that I'd be willing to sell.

dddddmorgan
01-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the great input folks. I think I'll just find the right tubing and pan lube em.

Odinbreaker
01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
I use liquid allox from Lee roll in and let dry, than roll in motor mica. It sure reduces leading.

Lead Fred
01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
I use a patched roundball with T/C 1000+ bore butter @ 2010fps
Cant lead, Hits the 10 inch gong at 100 yards all day long.

Bullshop
01-31-2010, 02:38 PM
When we started offering conicals in 54 cal we just had Buckshot make us a set of dies for the lubrisizer. He made us about 5 dies at .001" intervals so we could offer a veriety of sizes. Works good and they come out clean. The die walls are rather thin but since we are talking pure lead we have had no problems with that.
BIC/BS

runnin lead
02-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Put your lube in a double boiler to melt, set your bullets base down in a cake pan spaced about 3/8-1/2'' apart,pour in lube ,let cool well,dump cake out of pan & grasp cake with fingers near base of bullets & push on nose with thumb .
most of them will punch out near perfect a few will end up as do overs.
I had someone with a lathe make me lube cutters for .50 & .54 , cost me breakfast , don't need to use them , just more time consuming & more work .
Here is my lube , a Dan T lube
32 oz bee's wax,16 oz lanolin,8oz canola oil & 8 oz jojoba oil.
the jojoba may be ommited by doubling the canola ,the jojoba was my change to the Dan Theodore recepie , a very good BPCR lube . I chose these quantities to use a whole pound of lanolin in one batch.

Or you can make 1/2 of that & use the rest of the lanolin to make up some Ed's Red