PDA

View Full Version : Differences in the 225415 boolits

Charlie Sometimes
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Got me another "new" mold- it's an old version of the 225415, an Ideal, single cavity, without vent lines. [smilie=w:

Somebody here once commented on the differences over the years in the manufacture of various molds, and the changes in cherries, etc.- this is a good example. I don't know how old the Ideal is (before Lyman bought them?), but the Lyman was made under 20 years ago (educated guess).

Cast from my mix of Lyman #2, which is about 12 BHN, and throws very close to the factory specs-
The new version weighs 56 gr. with the gas check and lube.
The old version weighs 51 gr. with gas check and lube.
Diameters were very close in comparison, too- both cast at 225 to 227 in overall roundness. :smile:

There is an obvious difference in the length and nose shape- the older is shorter by the length of the gas check, and more truncated.
I think I like the looks of the older version better, and it should do well in my 22 Hornet- this will fit the clip much better also. No need to seat as deeply, and is more near to the 225438 mold I have in final weight. The 225438 did very good this past summer in accuracy tests. :smile:
Don't know how good it shoots yet- that won't happen until spring now. Next break in weather temperatures will have me in the shop casting lots of the older version! [smilie=p:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/225415sides.jpg

Jack Stanley
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Wow ! if those are the same mold number I guess I'd be safe to say things have changed over the years . I'm starting to nose around for a mold in that caliber and that looks like it would work well for the small critters .

Jack

beagle
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Looks like you got a gem there. Should shoot well in the Hornet.

I once read that a fellow was shooying Nosler Ballistic Tips in his Hornet and was having accuracy/stability problems and when he removed the exposed plastic, that much difference cured his problems so a gas checks worth of length may do wonders for that bullet in a marginal twist./beagle

DLCTEX
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
What is the difference in weights?

35remington
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
My, that's quite a difference with the new one on the left. My 225415 is closer to the one on the right....no wonder we've had past arguments here over just what the 225415 weighs.

I'd prefer the shorter one too, given what I normally shoot it in.

Charlie Sometimes
01-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I just got done checking seating depth for it in my Ruger 77/22-

From the point of rifling engagment, I like seating depth to be at least 0.100 under that.
That point looks like it will be right at the top grease groove or on the top driving band- which would be perfect! :smile:

All of the other boolits I have tried shot best when seated out to this point, but once seated to work in the clip, accuracy suffers. Profile really makes the difference. The 225438 seats below this point, but shoots good in the 1:14 twist (weighs less), the heavier boolits didn't always do so well seated deeper. The longer jump gets them. This one covers all the bases! [smilie=w:

Charlie Sometimes
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
What is the difference in weights?

Cast from my mix of Lyman #2, which is about 12 BHN, and throws very close to the factory specs-
The new version weighs 56 gr. with the gas check and lube.
The old version weighs 51 gr. with gas check and lube.

That would be 5 gr. difference.

Charlie Sometimes
01-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Looks like you got a gem there. Should shoot well in the Hornet.

I once read that a fellow was shooying Nosler Ballistic Tips in his Hornet and was having accuracy/stability problems and when he removed the exposed plastic, that much difference cured his problems so a gas checks worth of length may do wonders for that bullet in a marginal twist./beagle

Got this mold off E-Bay (cheap, compared to the abnormal prices that exist there)- came with handles, too! :bigsmyl2:

Speaking of removing the tip of a jacketed bullet-
I loaded a box of Hornady 55 gr. FMJ's and filed the nose off in a die I made specifically for that. An SGB modification of sorts- exposes lead, gives it a small meplat, and shortens the length. Haven't shot many butwhat I have shoots well, and you can seat them out and still function in the magazine! :smile:

DLCTEX
01-27-2010, 03:29 AM
I guess I was just looking at the pictures.:groner:

Bad Water Bill
01-27-2010, 04:45 AM
Since Ideal goes back to around 1900 or so is it any wonder that some # actually have 3 or 4 different real world results. Somewhere I read that the 224415 has 5 different boolits. Since I am not a millionair watching Ebay I can not show you the different ones in my collection. Someone else here will have to do that

Firebird
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Ideal started in the late 1880's; Marlin bought Ideal right before WWI, then sold it to Lyman about 1920. Lyman used just the Ideal name on the molds until the 1950's when they added the Lyman name also.