PDA

View Full Version : Nick In Crown

cabezaverde
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I have a cheap 38 revolver (Rossi) that has a pretty deep nick in the crown.

Can I just file the muzzle flat (I know, check it with a square), and then recrown it with a ball bearing and valve compound?

Not a gun I want to put money into.

Wally
01-26-2010, 12:23 PM
You can buy a round abrasive ball from a hardware store that has a 1/4" rod inserted into it--you place on a drill and spin it on the crown/muzzle edge of the barrel--filing would be difficult to do IMHO and not something that I'd consider.

dragonrider
01-26-2010, 12:31 PM
If it is not affecting how the gun shoots I would not do anything.

Char-Gar
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Shoot it first and find out what you have. If that nick has moved any metal into or in front of the bore accuracy will be nil. I have had sixguns like that.

I guess you can do it with a file etc., but I use tools from Brownell. They sell a flat face cutter with a pilot that goes down into the bore to keep the cut flat and at a 90 degree angle to the bore. Once the old crown is removed and the muzzle flat, you can then use a chamfer took and the same pilot to cut the recess.

Once you have these tools, you will be suprised how often you can use them.

Rodfac
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
+1 on Dragonriders post... Rodfac

Shiloh
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
If it is not affecting how the gun shoots I would not do anything.

Hear Hear!!

Definitely not a desirable attribute, but what is done is done.

If it shoots okay, leave it. You could take it to a gunsmith and see what a re-crown would run. Crowns are particular. If you do it yourself and don't get it just right, you may really foul up how it shoots.

Shiloh

cabezaverde
01-26-2010, 06:54 PM
It is shooting consistently left, and the crown is off center.

DLCTEX
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Sounds as if you couldn't hurt it much. If you mess up you still need a crown job. If you're handy, go for it, many here do with good results. Of course, we don't often hear of the goofs.:veryconfu