PDA

View Full Version : Price check S&W 65

Johnch
01-26-2010, 01:07 AM
At least I think it is a 65 , I don't mess with Smith's much
4" stainless L frame , fixed sights 357 mag

Used , in decent shape
But Packmeyer gripper on it that have turned hard

A local dealer has it and wants to move it , as it has sat in the case for a while
He is willing to sell it to me for $ 275 + tax

I had a chance to shoot it and it has had a sweet trigger job done on it

Is that a deal or should I pass

John

9.3X62AL
01-26-2010, 01:44 AM
If it's an L-frame (has barrel underlug similar to a Colt Python, and fixed sights), $275 is a screamin' deal. If it's a Model 65, still a very good price. 65 has bare extractor rod and fixed sights, K-frame.

Johnch
01-26-2010, 01:49 AM
If it's an L-frame (has barrel underlug similar to a Colt Python, and fixed sights), $275 is a screamin' deal. If it's a Model 65, still a very good price. 65 has bare extractor rod and fixed sights, K-frame.

Errrr
I had L frame on the mind
I think you are right it is a K frame

I will have to see how many hours I am suposed to work this week
I may have to buy it

Thanks
John

jt1
01-26-2010, 02:52 AM
It sounds like a reasonable price if it's in decent shape. Two places to look are the underside of the topstrap next to the forcing cone to see if there is excessive flame cutting, and note if the cylinder stop notches have any peening. These are sometimes a problem on high round count guns.

The Model 65's are fine guns, and one of my favorites.

John

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2010, 07:39 AM
if its something you like for that price id buy it.

HATCH
01-26-2010, 07:50 AM
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/154892000/154892950/pix2063957953.jpg
Thats a good price if that is what you are looking for.
Unless its a J-Frame, I prefer s&w's adjustable sight models myself.

Johnch
01-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I thought and thought about it
After thinking till my head hurt

I told the dealer I would have to pass

:groner: As I have taxs due in a few weeks :groner:

Oh well I didn't need another revolver ..........yea right :evil:

John

wonderwolf
01-27-2010, 01:00 AM
Should have seen about a layaway I snagged a S&W 65 for $264 to go with my S&W 10 I paid just a bit more for at $277

http://wonderwolfs.blogspot.com/2009/08/good-enough-for-them-good-enough-for-me.html

Don't feel bad, pay the taxes and see whats left over then go back and put it on layaway if he'll let you.

Wait a sec....where in ohio was this??? maybe I'll go put it on layaway :)

leadman
01-27-2010, 01:24 AM
I bought one of those a couple years ago. First load I put in it shot to point of aim and small group size.

Sure like the Smiths.

S.R.Custom
01-27-2010, 02:05 AM
I thought and thought about it
After thinking till my head hurt

I told the dealer I would have to pass

:groner:

Don't sweat it. Without the original grips that's actually a very average price for that gun.

MtGun44
01-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Lots of them out there, they are decent guns but I strongly prefer the
adjustable sights for my 'fiddling' guns. Fixed need a load built to fit the
sights and then leave it alone. Doesn't fit my nature very well, I want to
FIDDLE with the loads - different boolit, different powder, etc. This means
I need to adjust the sights to match the load once I find one that does
what I want, usually accuracy is the desire.

Look for end shake (axial movement) of the cylinder and see if there are
any cracks in the barrel just ahead of the cylinder face. Heavy loads in these
guns can do these things. Almost certainly an old police gun, the good news
is that most of them have been carried and externally beat up a bit but are
shot rarely and nearly new inside.

I picked one up at a gun show for $150 a few years back - now THAT is a bargain
to be jumped on with both feet. $275 is a fair price, but not extremely low.

Bill

machinisttx
01-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Don't sweat it. Without the original grips that's actually a very average price for that gun.

The last batch of PD trade in guns went for $330ish for a rough one up to about $370 for a nice one--none had original stocks. $275 is on the low side.

machinisttx
01-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Lots of them out there, they are decent guns but I strongly prefer the
adjustable sights for my 'fiddling' guns. Fixed need a load built to fit the
sights and then leave it alone. Doesn't fit my nature very well, I want to
FIDDLE with the loads - different boolit, different powder, etc. This means
I need to adjust the sights to match the load once I find one that does
what I want, usually accuracy is the desire.

Look for end shake (axial movement) of the cylinder and see if there are
any cracks in the barrel just ahead of the cylinder face. Heavy loads in these
guns can do these things. Almost certainly an old police gun, the good news
is that most of them have been carried and externally beat up a bit but are
shot rarely and nearly new inside.

I picked one up at a gun show for $150 a few years back - now THAT is a bargain
to be jumped on with both feet. $275 is a fair price, but not extremely low.

Bill

Never heard of the forcing cone cracking except when used with 125 grain magnum loads.

9.3X62AL
01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Never heard of the forcing cone cracking except when used with 125 grain magnum loads.

The 125 grain @ 1450 FPS load was the rationale for the L-frame's creation, and the concept worked well. Unfortunately, autopistols flattened the police revolver market soon thereafter--and the 40 S&W buried it. The fixed-sight service-based L-frames died early accordingly, and remain scarce. The adjustable-sighted L-frames made the transition as field revolvers. I retain a 686 x 4" on my CCW listing, though a Model 65 would do as well with our current carry loads (WW 158 JHP @ 1200 FPS).

wonderwolf
01-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Understandable that some may like to mess with different loads and bullet weights but with my 10 and 65 I havn't noticed extreme shifts in zero's when either using a 92gr RN or a 160gr Fullwadcutter, I want to say these guns are regulated to the 125gr bullet but it may be the 158gr. not 100% sure on that and to me it doesn't really seem to matter. I havn't been able to shoot my new 158gr round nose flat point bullet from my newest lee mold but I suspect it will be a staple in their diet.

machinisttx
01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
The 125 grain @ 1450 FPS load was the rationale for the L-frame's creation, and the concept worked well. Unfortunately, autopistols flattened the police revolver market soon thereafter--and the 40 S&W buried it. The fixed-sight service-based L-frames died early accordingly, and remain scarce. The adjustable-sighted L-frames made the transition as field revolvers. I retain a 686 x 4" on my CCW listing, though a Model 65 would do as well with our current carry loads (WW 158 JHP @ 1200 FPS).

Not sure exactly what you're saying, the 65 is a K frame, not an L.

9.3X62AL
01-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Just a comment on the L-frame's history and genesis, in the context of your comments concerning the effects of 125 grain 357 ammo on K-frame/M-65 examples--and that a K-frame 357 Magnum would serve me well given the loads I'm administratively obliged to carry. That's it.

machinisttx
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I see. Your post sort of confused me....I thought you were saying the 65 was an L frame.

Mumblypeg
01-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Just me but I would have bought it in a min. I have several, they are had to beat for a good old beat around gun. I've seen them go for more.

KCSO
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
I have an old M10 bull barrel that I use for a woods gun. I milled off the front sight and put in a dovetail mounted ivory bead sight and put a dovetail mounted blade in the back. This gives me plenty of windage and I can change the height of the front sight for elevation and the best part is when sighted and staked the sights are as sturdy as fixed sights.

dubber123
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I have an old M10 bull barrel that I use for a woods gun. I milled off the front sight and put in a dovetail mounted ivory bead sight and put a dovetail mounted blade in the back. This gives me plenty of windage and I can change the height of the front sight for elevation and the best part is when sighted and staked the sights are as sturdy as fixed sights.

Any chance you could post a pic of that? I have a 2" Mod 64 that I was contemplating doing something similar to.

9.3X62AL
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Sorry for the lack of clarity, TX. I can see how that got misunderstood.

Model 64 x 2", eh? Those K-frame 38s just WORK, and the 2" variants shoot VERY well for me.

dubber123
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Sorry for the lack of clarity, TX. I can see how that got misunderstood.

Model 64 x 2", eh? Those K-frame 38s just WORK, and the 2" variants shoot VERY well for me.

I paid a whopping $200 for this one. I was thinking with maybe a 3/32" gold bead and a low profile V-notch rear this would make a dandy trail gun. I guess the 2-1/2" Mod 19 would be easier, but what fun is easy?

klcarroll
01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I used to have a three inch M65.

It's one of those guns that I simply cannot explain why I ever parted with it.

I loaded a 200 grain lead load for it that chronographed at 800 fps. It had a "thump" like a .45, the reliability of a mid sized revolver, and I could roll beer cans around with it at 100 yards!!

God!! ....I was stupid back in my "fast-and-free" gun trading days!!

Kent (MUCH older and wiser!!)