PDA

View Full Version : help me decide

hoss-noogy
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Want to order me a new single action revolver. Help me decide which one

1. super blackhawk 44 mag-- 5.5 inch

2. blackhawk 44 special-- 5.5 inch

Already cast the Keith bullet for my Redhawk so I have the moulds,dies ect.
Would just have to buy 44 special cases if I go that route

Redhawk is just to big to carry around casually- Fishing ,walking in the woods, that kind of stuff

EDK
01-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Get the Super Black Hawk...and a high end belt and holster. I have MERNICKLE Cowboy Action rigs for 5.5 inch 44 VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS/BLACKHAWKS that I use woodswalking. You can load the magnum down in magnum brass; the special is good...I have a S&W 624...but is a little more limited. Two types of very similar brass is a PITA at times.

If you can find a shop that has both (lots of luck on that!) see which one feels better in your hands. The plastic grips on the 44 special leave a lot to be desired also.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

targetshootr
01-25-2010, 10:31 PM
44 spl with holly grips. ThasswhatI'mtalkinbout.

theperfessor
01-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Both! Then keep the one that shoots best and sell the other one. Sometimes this takes a few years to be sure...

softpoint
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Unless they've changed, the .44 magnums all have steel grip frames, whether they are round or squarebacked triggerguard. The standard Blackhawks have alloy grip frames(unless the .44 Special is different), making the Special a good deal lighter if packing weight is a concern.:coffee:

Firebricker
01-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Since you already have the RH I'd go with the .44spl but then again a .44 mag SBH in a good holster is comfortable and you would have the same brass. Tough choice to make good luck.
FB

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2010, 07:41 AM
i like the round trigger guard on the blackhawk. the dragoon frame on the super tears up my nuckle.

Bass Ackward
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Redhawk is just to big to carry around casually- Fishing ,walking in the woods, that kind of stuff

The only real way to shed weight is steel and smaller lead and I don't think that either of those choices are going to help really if Ol Red is simply too much.

Maybe you simply don't have the right holster rig .... for you.

Bucks Owin
01-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Both ideally! If only one, I'd go with a SBH...(Or a .45 LC)...JMO, Dennis (Who loves REAL Flattops sans transfer bar!) :bigsmyl2:

Throckmorton
01-26-2010, 02:00 PM
If only shot occasionaly,the .44 for lighter weight,and nickel plated brass for ez ID.
Actually I'd go the .44 even if I ddin't care for nickel brass,it's not that big a deal to keep the brass ID'd and seperate