PDA

View Full Version : Day of shopping....

Hitman
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok so I spent the last few hours looking for free lead. Aparently I am not the only one in the area that is doing this.[smilie=b:
I found a half bucket but he wanted 30$ got it for 15$
Another half bucket he said "what will you give me?" I said 5$ he said "OK"
So I ended up with 88.5lbs of wheel weights for 20$

I went over to a guy I know who seems to think he is a salvager. I asked if he had any wheel weights, and he said he melts all his lead together. I asked what all he melts together and he showed me some lead pipe, and roof flashing and the wheel weights, oh and bygolly he found a bucket of wheel weights he did not melt yet.

he said he has around 400lbs of the melted stuff that he would take .75 a pound for.:bigsmyl2:
the bucket of wheel weights he is gonna sell me for .50 a pound and there is 70lbs[smilie=w:

I told him I would try and find someone to buy it cause I dont have that much money.:sad:
As I was leaving he found 4 ingots of extremly hard lead. he hit it with a hammer and it went ping and barely dented it. it has on it S-G and when he hit it with the chop saw there were no sparks. there was 20 lbs and he sold me 1 for 3$

Catshooter
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Hitman. I think in the next few years the hunt will become more and more difficult. I encourage you to slam it into high gear and get yourself a few tons.

Cat

Hitman
01-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Should I get a tester and get all the mix stuff?

What kind of tin do I use to mix in with it to get a harder alloy? I am not sure if my wife will understand why I am cutting holes it the shed.

The S-G igots, Does anyone have expierience with linotype or even monotype do they ring when struck? what would be a good cost for 5lb ingots?

cbrick
01-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Hi Hitman, welcome to Castboolits.

You will get very little hardening from adding tin. Tin is added for castability not hardening, you'll get minor hardening but it will be minimal. Tin can be ordered from Rotometals (link at top of this page) or from various solders.

Yes, lino or mono will have a "ring" when dropped or struck but that doesn't mean it's lino or mono, doesn't mean it isn't but doesn't mean it is either. If only life where that simple.

I don't know what the S-G is and a good price would depend entirely on what it is.

Rick

Catshooter
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I don't know what S-G is either. Abbreviations are great, if they communicate.

Yes, get a hardness tester. I bought the LBT tester, I think it's the easiest of all out there to use.

Why would you cut holes in the shed?

I mostly agree with cbrick about hardening. But if you want to use tin for hardening you can. One part tin to 20 parts tin starts to get hard. Sixteen to one is getting pretty hard, at least by my standards.

Cat