PDA

View Full Version : die for Lyman Truline Jr.

Archer
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I've got a Lyman Truline Jr. press that came
with 38 Special dies. It works fine, except I don't have the
depriming die. There is one in it that looks like it's not all
there, so that may be whats left of the depriming die.
Does anyone know where I could find one? There a lot smaller then
my regular dies, so don't know it anything else would work in it.
Thanks for any help.
John

45-70bpcr
01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
John,
They are the same dies as used in lyman 310 handtools. Hate to send you there but if you search lyman 310 on e-bay you will see lots available. Hopefully you find what you need. There are other sources so maybe try googling lyman 310 and maybe you can just get the parts to complete the die you have.

trooperdan
01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Archer, I may have a spare .38 SPL sizer; I'll try to check tonight and let you know.

TD

scrapcan
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Also do a search for " the 310 shop" he will have what you need. Better yet here is the link

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

I may also have a spare short decap die.

But to be sure we need to know which dies you have. There are 5 dies sets and 4 die sets. If you have a CMR die it is the neck sizer and decap die in one. If you have 5 die sets you will have a decap die and a MR (muzzle resizer die) to do the same things.

Archer
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks Guys,
Manleyjt,
The ones I have, and I only have 3, One is a seating
die, and the other one is the sizing die with the neck expander
in it. The other one looks like a cup up inside it with a hole
though it, and wide open at the top. That's the one I thought
might have something missing, but don't know for sure.
I've never had any Lyman dies, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at,
but the seating die, and the expander die seem to work fine.
Thanks again.
John

kywoodwrkr
01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Arher,
PM me your address and I'll drop a decapping die in the mail.
This will be one that is a standalone die, with decapping rod in it.
Usable on a bunch of cases.
Dave

Green Frog
01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Archer,

Your .38 SPL die set for the TL Jr should include 3 dies, one of which is a die marked .38 SPL FL, indicating that it full length sizes the cases. This die should have a decapping rod in it as well. In addition, you should have a die that bells the case mouth (like a current Lyman M die) and one that seats and crimps the bullet. The TL Jr set is similar to, but not identical to the 4- and 5-die sets for the 310 tool that others have referred to. You can make a muzzle resizing (neck sizer) die work, probably, but then you lose the full length feature, and the decap only die folks have talked about is then necessary for that function. :veryconfu If you are good and confused or just have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Froggie :coffee:

Archer
01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Dave,
PM Sent.
Thank You.
John

Archer
01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Froggie,
Thanks, to be sure, I will probably have some questions.

Archer
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I've been trying to post a picture of the dies
I've got, so someone may be able to tell me
what the odd one is.
As soon as I hit the manage attachments
button, I get a (POP) then a error on page,
and nothing comes up.
Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Firebricker
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Archer, There used to be a guy on e-bay that sold tru-line Jr turrets for 7/8x14 dies if you went that route you could go to carbide sizer die and they have adapters to use your small dies. I had a TL Jr wish I would have kept it the short throw is perfect for handgun cartridges.
FB

Archer
01-27-2010, 01:33 AM
FB,
Thanks for the info. That may be something to look
into.
I've been trying to get a picture on here without
any luck so far, nothing comes up but error on page.
Any Ideas?

scrapcan
01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Not all truline jr dies will full length resize, actually very few are full length sizers. Very few rifle calibers were available as full length sizers. You may find sets taht are 4 dies sets as the shellholder is one of the "dies". I have the original 30-06 123 numbered dies in box that came with the second generation truline Jr (compound leverage links) and it has Decap, MR, Expander, Seater, and shellholder. That would make it a 5 die set. I also have a 3 dies set ofr jacketed bullets in 30-06 which is the shellholder, CMR die, and seater die.

Archer
01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
manleyjt,
The only markings I can find on the ones I have,
are 429 on top of the seater, and 357 on the expander.
The one that I think isn't all there has no markings at all.

MtGun44
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
May have too large a file. You need to resize so that the max file size is
100k or less.

Bill

Archer
01-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Bill,
I resized them to 640x475, then to 100x75,
and when I hit the manage att. so I can put them in,
I still get a pop, and error on page. In other words it won't bring up
browse, or anything. I tried turning off the pop up blocker, and it still does it.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers, but I usually
can get pictures to go on, just not here. I must be doing something wrong, just
don't know what.

scrapcan
01-28-2010, 12:31 AM
The 429 seater stem is for the 359 429 swc or similar will work also. The 357 on teh expander is the diameter of the expander.

You may have a cmr die or a full length die. Keep trying the photo attachment or send one of the picture via email and one of us will help out.

scrapcan
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
First off the die in question is the one on the left. It is the powder funnel for the lyman 55 powder measure.

I would suspect it is the large funnel, but now way to tell without measurement of the center. There were two sizes small and large and a myriad of different styles. Some have knurling and a flat, others knurling and a set screw seat, others like this one.

Several indivisuals are workign on the lyman powder measure chronology at ARTCA so keep watching if you are a member as at some point there will be articles. Those working on the lyman 55 could probably write a book on the variations on that model alone.

without further rambling, here are the pictures.

longranger
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
There's guy on ebay making replacement turrets for the Truline jr to convert over to standard dies.I just ordered one ($46.00)has all of the indexing points like the O.E.M.. I was given the press and it is clean and nice,I held on to it and could never find dies in the cartridge I wanted to shoot.
I've been told I will love it,it will be used for hangun cartridges.

Archer
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
The inside top measures 7/16 and tapers down to a
hole just a touch smaller then a 22 shell. The outside
is 1/2"
Thanks for the information, and posting the pictures
for me. I still can't get a picture to post on here. [smilie=b:

Archer
01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Longranger,

I was lucky, in that, when I got mine it
had the dies above in it for 38 spl., which
is what I wanted to use it for.
Good luck with yours, let us know how
it works when you get it set up.

scrapcan
01-29-2010, 11:31 AM
longranger,

Don't forget to buy the j to x shellholder adapter and the new t punch for priming. I think lyman still has the priming punch. But I use a hand primer instead of priming on the truline jr.

Also be careful with how much pressure you put the little press thru. It is not made for full length sizing of most cartridges.

Green Frog
01-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Archer, did you ever get a complete set of dies assembled for your TL Jr and .38 Spls? If you really want to get the best out of that very special press, I would urge you to find the FL Sizer/Decapper die that was available for the press (NOT for the 310 tong tool) so your loaded ammo will be good for whatever revolver (or .38 Spl semi-auto) you wish to use it in. :wink:

Lots of folks like farmers or machinists who do a large volume of work with different things will devote a particular machine for a specific job... you will probably find that you can find that your little TL Jr will be nice to keep dedicated for that one caliber as you "move up" to "newer, bigger, and better" equipment. It will be a great aid to your overall loading program at an unbeatable price, so if space allows... :mrgreen:

The shell holder conversion that my friend manleyjt mentions is great for those who want to use the TL Jr with a variety of calibers (probably leading to use of 310 tool die sets as well) and will allow a great deal of flexibility with this old press, but there is one draw back, a rather significant loss of space between shell holder and turret surface, or in other words a shorter case length capacity. If you are going to devote the press to one or two specific calibers, it will probably be worth your while to find the old J-style shell holders for them. :bigsmyl2:

Regards,
Froggie

scrapcan
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
froggie,

man I agree once again. I would find the original j shell holder for whatever caliber I wanted to load. that 1/4 inch difference is definitely a plus.