PDA

View Full Version : 9.3 mm

CaptDave
06-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Is there any interest in a 9.3 mm mold group buy? Sarco is selling a slew of Husky 9.3x57 mausers(mod 96 and 98 actions) and I have bought one. A friend has a couple of them and is using sized down 38-55 CB,s. I have considered paper patched RCBS 38-200, but would prefer a 225-250 gr CB to shoot. I am thinking of a meplat type bullet for hunting of medium game at approx 2100 fps. I do want it to be accurate and give 2 " groups or better at 100 yds. Is there any interest out there, and any ideas about designs?
Anyone with a 9.3... what kind of slugging results are you seeing?

Capt Dave

dragonrider
06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes I will want one also, I have a Husky 9.3X57. I have an NEI mold that consists of 2 cavities of a 260 grain and 2 cavities of a 304 grn, the latter is not a good bullet for my gun. accuracy is not good. I would very much like something around 240 grns with multiple lube grooves, but am flexible.

Catshooter
06-05-2006, 07:49 PM
What do you use for brass? I could well want one.

Cat

dragonrider
06-05-2006, 08:17 PM
I use 8MM Mauser or 30-06. I have some new Norma with proper headstamp but I may never use them, bought them only to have case with correct headstamp.

Catshooter
06-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Really! That's pretty easy brass.

Can you link me to Sarco?

Thanks, by the way.

Cat

Nrut
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM
CaptDave...I would be interested in a group buy mold in 9.3 at around 250-260 grs.....:drinks:

What kind of shape are the bores on those Sarco 98's?

Frank46
06-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Capt Dave & Dragon Rider. I purchased one of the swedish husky's some time ago and through the generosity of some of the board members here their boolits have given me a place to start. First off you may or may not get one that may have some slight pitting or roughness due to corrosive ammo. Mine had a slightly rough throat. Mucho cleaning and judicious applications of heavy duty auto body rubbing compound helped clean it up. Now dimensions. My throat measures .368 instead of the commonly .366. Since this is a european rifle the oversized dimensions could be a given. But what makes this rifle so cast boolit friendly is that it has a long throat. I had some cast boolits that I bought from Bullshop. You can seat that boolit even with the case neck and it will chamber. I figure from my measurements that a cb with a diameter of at least .370 would be a good place to start. Bullet weight could be from 250 to about 286-290 grains with a gas check. Some load data that I have seen indicates about 2300 fps with a 240-250 gr j-word bullet and an even 2000fps with a 286gr j-word bullet. I have not shot this rifle, but as soon as mountain molds is up and running will be getting one from him. Brass can be had from norma, or make up your own from 8mm or 30-06.
Hornady sells a two die set(fl-seater) and they will make up a neck die for the 9.3x57 for more that you pay for the two die set. If I remember redding gets about $130 for a three die set. Thats fl- neck size-and seater die. Oh yes, before I forget, some of the literature that I have seen on the web indicates that some of these rifles receivers were of FN manufacture. Mine came with bolt handle factory bent for scope usage and had a set of weaver bases installed. Hope this helps, Frank

NuJudge
06-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Anything from 250 to 310 grain is fine. Diameter of .368 to .370 is fine.

CDD

brayhaven
06-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Seems I have some 9.3 X 57 dies around here someplace. I shoot some 9.3 X 72 in my drilling but use jacketed bullets (180 gr.) that I upset from 358 bullets (to .366) in a die I made. I'll see if I can find those dies. maybe someone here can use them.
Greg

45 2.1
06-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Seems I have some 9.3 X 57 dies around here someplace. I shoot some 9.3 X 72 in my drilling but use jacketed bullets (180 gr.) that I upset from 358 bullets (to .366) in a die I made. I'll see if I can find those dies. maybe someone here can use them.
Greg

Yep, i'm looking for a set of them (9.3 x 57) myself.

gutshot_again
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I'd be up for one also, depending on the final design.

brayhaven
06-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I'll dig around the shop tomorrow & see if I can locate them. Haven't seen 'em in years.
Greg

CaptDave
06-07-2006, 12:38 AM
All; I need to slug my 9.3x57. My buddy has two and says he needs at least a .370 dia bullet to fit right. He has been sizing down 38-55 pb cast slugs with some success. I don't know what vel he is loading to. He has produced some 50yd plinking loads of acceptable accuracy using the makarov (sp?) bullet. I have fireformed brass from new 8x57 brass with a small charge of red dot and a dacron wad. I don't recall the load but I took the Lee dipper set to the range and just worked up to a load that expanded the neck properly. Since I recieved my Hornady die set I have just run the 8x57 brass thru the sizer with no losses of cases.

Is ther anybody experienced out there willing to take on the design of bullet?
I have no experience in bullet design, but given the parameters could work up a suitable drawing. What we need is input on throat, bore and groove, twist of the 9.3 rifles out there. And someone who can digest that data and come up with a suitable configuration that will shoot accurately and be suitable for hunting.

Capt Dave

brayhaven
06-07-2006, 05:50 PM
The good news is I found them. The bad news is ..... they're 9X57 (9mm Mauser) not 9.3. Oh well, memory isn't so good these days. BTW, Capt Dave, The twists vary widely in 9.3 barrels I've slugged & checked for twist. The 9.3X72 barrels are very slow. generally @ 1/20 or even slower and weork well with lighter bullets 150-200 Gr. No idea what they're using in those 9.3X57's. The 9.3X74's use a faster twist and do fine with the heavier bullets. I designed a die to upset 180 gr speer 358 bullets that shoots very well. Just by looking at it and changing it around til the shape looked about right. it's How I engineer much of my stuff :o)
Greg

CaptDave
06-15-2006, 01:37 AM
All
Looks like this idea is going to die on the vine, as ther isn't sufficient interest to get it up and running. I suppose I will wait until Mountain Molds is back up and place an order with them. I appreciate the responses and suggestions. I had figured that 225grs would be the ideal weight but after seeing the responses maybe 10% heavier would be best. I really think that 2100 fps is the ideal velocity for a meplat bullet on medium game. I am still open to suggestions and discussion on bullet weight and velocity.

Thanks to all who replied and please post your views and results for all of us who are trying to get the 9.3 to perform.

Capt Dave

j4570
06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Guys,

9.3x57 dies I got the Hornady from either Graf's or Midway. Either way less than $50. They are easy too find. If you need 9x57 try Midway for the Redding dies for about $60.

Mine is an FN '98 action made in 1940 or 1941, but the whole rifle is NOT FN made. Husky only bought the action, the barrel and stock, etc is Swedish.

Not to knock cast here, but mine shoots fabulous with Nosler 250's!!!! Thanks to my father for giving me 10, I had told him about these rifles and he ordered one too. I tried the Prvi Partizan 286 gr bullets from Graf's without much luck, but they shot to regulation with the iron sights on the '96 action (a Husky) my father got, so I gave them all to him, and he tried the Nosler's which he ended up giving to me.

These rifles shoot great. It has a very classic feel. I put a scope on mine, as it came with Weaver mounts, and a Leupold VX-I 3x9 found a home on it. It shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards.

The 8mm's are good too. Many of these rifles have European side mount bases, which you should try and get one that has the mount in addition to the base in one inch diameter, as there is almost no chance you will ever match one up and the mount will cost more than the gun.

Check the forum on gunboards.com, they have a Swedish rifle commercial forum also.