PDA

View Full Version : getting consisten boolit weight with Lee 20 lb pot

DEVERS454
06-05-2006, 12:01 AM
What is the "best" method to get consisten boolit weights with the Lee 20lb production pot?

Keep alloy at a constant level?
Keep heat at a constant level?

What is the "prefered" method for filling from the bottom pour? Pouring into yoru mold slowly or do it "fast"?

Do most folks leave a bit more material in the sprue, or, just keep the sprue materail as small as possible?

Different molds and pots require differnt techniques. Just curious what folks use with wheel weights, Lyman #2, and 92-6-2 alloy...

Thanks!!!

454PB
06-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I can't tell what is best, only what works for me. Over the years, I've learned my Lee pots cast best when the thermostat is set at #7 to #7.5. I don't worry too much about the level in the pot, the only time it becomes an issue is when it's down to the last 3/4" of alloy. I then dump that last bit into an ingot and mark the ingot with a sharpie to identify the alloy. I use the "feel" method to control flow into the mould. Too fast and I get small air pockets in the base, too slow and I get incomplete fillout. I leave a medium size sprue, I don't know how to describe it.......maybe the size of a nickel and 1/4" thick.

I've been through the quality control phase. I spent hours weighing and segregating boolits by weight. It didn't make enough difference to be worth the time for me. A good visual is all I do.

ozonebob
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I have cast for a lot of years with a Production Pot IV. It is a 10 lb. pot. When the pot is full, I keep the thermostat at 7-8, and as the level decreases to less than half, I have to progressively decrease the setting or the alloy gets too hot. By the way, my alloy is half WW/half lino (about 90-8-2). I cast with iron molds from Lyman, SAECO, and RCBS.

The actual technique of casting with a bottom pour pot is more dependent on the mold than the pot. Some molds allow you to direct the flow of alloy directly into the hole, while others prefer the stream to hit the angled part of the sprue plate first and dribble into the hole. Each mold is different in this respect, and it helps to keep a notebook because as your mold collection expands you won't remember what each prefers.

I hope this helps.

Ozonebob

dragonrider
06-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I use two lee ten pound pots I try to pour directly into the hole with the valve wide open. I never let the level go below 1/2. Also my mold is no less than 3/4" below the spout. I can't say if my method is good or bad only that it seems to work for me. Mostly.

DEVERS454
06-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Is there a bennefit to having the mold below the spout versus just under it/touching when you pour?

I was under the assumption you put it right upto the spout.

ANeat
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Here are some results from a test I did back in April. The pot was a Lee 20 pound bottom pour. The mold was a Lee 6 cavity 452 228gr RN. As I was casting a pulled out a few bullets when the pot was full, approx 1/2 full and when the pot was just about empty.

Begining of the pot
Less that half full pot
Emptying Pot

Adam