PDA

View Full Version : Roadkill buck

cattleskinner
01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
I know this is somewhat off topic since I did not kill it, and it was most likely roadkilled......
Being a meat hunter, I never really understood the appeal of a big buck. I was always one to say, no matter how long you cook them, you can't eat the antlers. That's all changed now. The biggest buck I've ever gotten was a couple years ago and should be in a post here on the site, only half this size. Anyhow, I thought I would show this buck off, my best guess is it weighed close to 250-275 lbs. live, and the dollar bill is for scale(6 inches long). It's nice to be able to appreciate the rack, but the meat was unsalvagable and the back end was half eaten. It was found on my dad's place in north central Ohio.

MT Gianni
01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Nice rack. While you can't eat them they make great handles, buttons and cribbage boards.

Johnch
01-25-2010, 12:08 AM
Looks like it was a nice buck
Hope you got a salvage tag , if not I would

North Central Ohio
I live Between Oregon and Port Clinton myself

John

cattleskinner
01-25-2010, 02:08 AM
The game warden already came out and gave him a deer receipt. My place is between Bucyrus and Upper Sandusky. How is the lake effect weather John?

Jal5
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
The real eye opener is you holding the skull/rack. That is one huge rack, I hope you score it yourself or have someone score it. We do have some big ones here in Ohio don't we!

Joe

badgeredd
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd appreciate it you shoo some of them over to NW Williams County so I can git one when I'm down at my folks place. Nice rack for sure. Betcha Willbird wouldn't mind seeing something like that near his place either.

Edd

Johnch
01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
The game warden already came out and gave him a deer receipt. My place is between Bucyrus and Upper Sandusky. How is the lake effect weather John?

Ok I know the general area

Brrrrrrrr

In the spring or even early summer , if we get a NE off the lake
Our temps are 10 or more degrees cooler than 20 miles from the lake :groner:
In the summer the hunidity levels jump 20% with a NE wind :violin:

In the fall the lake will keep us warmer and hold off a killing frost several weeks normaly

Sometimes we get several inches of snow , when everyone else has clear skys

Oh well that is life , but the deer and waterfowl hunting makes up for the PITA weather

John

pmeisel
01-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Guys, you make me a little homesick. I am in Mississippi now but grew up and lived quite awhile in Vermilion, lived in Oak Harbor 7 years, Tiffin 4, Lima 3......

reloader28
01-29-2010, 08:21 PM
I had the same thing happen to me this year.

Pulled out on the road to go around the hill and put a stock on one buck, and a nice one ran out in front of the car in front of us.

Hit him low on the legs but didnt kill it. The car only had minor damage and drove off since we were hunters.

We called the warden as the deer crawled off, but he couldnt make it out. I told him I didnt think it really hurt the meat too bad, so he said I could shoot it and tag it, but I better be sure to claim it cause they dont do extra tags for them anymore.

When it got hit, it bounced off a reflecter post and broke a horn in half, but my daughter found it and I taped my tag over the break.:smile: If you didnt know the story, you can never tell it was broke hanging on my wall.

We butcher our own and did manage to save over 80% of the meat tho.

It wasnt quite as nice as cattleskinners, but like you guys, I'm not in it for the horns and it was my biggest whitetail. A 5x6

Sorry. Forgot my manners. Sorry to steal a thread.