PDA

View Full Version : CB seating depth for revolver

Tazman1602
01-24-2010, 08:46 PM
OK guys I need some help if you're able. As I've said before I'm just learning cast with revolvers but have shot a bit now.

Tonight I'm loading up some Lyman 358311 RN PB for my .357. I seat bullet to crimp groove, crimp, and check fit in revolver which is fine --- bullet doesn't stick out beyond end of cylinder which, I know, would be BAD.

When checking COL (overall length) I notice it's 1.630 or so but like I said still well within the confines of the cylinder. I check Modern Reloading and Lyman CB handbook and both list max cartridge length as 1.590 so wanting to stay within the confines of the manual until I know more I reseat the bullets to the recommended depth..............but then the end of the case is over the crimp groove and the front band and instead of in the crimp groove itself.

Using 9.2 grs Blue Dot (Hey I'm limited on powders or I'd use 2400) and shot off six of the bullets pictured into the snowbank just to see it I had any problems, leading issues, etc. All six shot fine and zero leading. Pistol is Ruger Vaquero and .358 diameter bullets fit chambers fine with just a light press through.

Question is should can I seat out to the crimp groove even though that makes COL longer than the books recommend and do it safely? I know the closer I can get them to the lands in my rifles the better they shoot, just don't want to get into trouble with revolvers.

Pic shows the bullets with a skewer pointed at the crimp groove and a bullet seated to the recommended depth of 1.590 which puts the crimp groove inside the case.

Whaddya say????

Thanks,

Art

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/Molds/358311a.jpg

mooman76
01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Seating out farther is not a problem as long as you can clear the cylinder as you said. If you seat deeper then you could possibly have pressure issues but not always.

dubber123
01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Seat to the crimp groove, (where it should be), and carry on happily. I've shot scads of that boolit, which incidentally is a very good design. Seating out farther than your manual suggests will only LOWER pressure. I am surprised at the suggested OAL exceeding length with this boolit, which is one of Ideal/Lymans oldest designs.

Tazman1602
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Yessir's I was surprised too. That's what I'll do is adjust seating depth to the crimp groove and let her fly.

THANKS GUYS! ........just wanted to make SURE..............

Art

Tazman1602
01-24-2010, 10:32 PM
FWIW overall length ended up being 1.635 with this bullet now. Checked depth with a depth mic in chambers and it looks to be AOK at that length. Just whipped out 50 with the Dillon and hopefully will get a chance to shoot this week.

Thanks again,

Art

MtGun44
01-25-2010, 02:01 AM
This is the advantage of the revolvers - if it doesn't stick out the front it will work !

Use the crimp groove unless the nose pokes out the front.

Bill

9.3X62AL
01-25-2010, 02:54 AM
What Bill said.

In a S&W N-frame 357 Magnum, there might be a length issue that doesn't exist in the Ruger single action's cylinder. No harm gets done seating shorter in a revolver, as long as a near-max load gets lowered and worked back up. Revolvers and their more expansive cases are a little more forgiving in this respect than are autopistol calibers, but a re-work-up is a good safety strategy.

Bass Ackward
01-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Actually cutting down the jump that the bullet experiences is a good thing. The farther the jump, the faster the velocity will be at impact and the harder the bullet will need to be to withstand that impact without stripping.

So when you can, .... cheat.

Tazman1602
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks again guys. I know the less of a jump the bullet has to make the better the accuracy is going to be and I am well versed in pressures (namely what happens when you screw it up....) so I always, always, always start with minimal loads and work my way up as I wish looking for pressure signs along the way.

............I also consult a minimum of THREE load manuals before I start stuffing powder in a case...............................just paranoid I guess but I'd rather know I can shoot max loads SAFELY as I value what's left of my hands these days. Still got all my digits and intend on keeping it that way................

You know, with cast, I almost never NEED max loads to obtain the best accuracy...................

Art

Bass Ackward
01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks again guys. I know the less of a jump the bullet has to make the better the accuracy is going to be. Art

Art,

This isn't always true about being "more" accurate.

Sometimes seating deeper will improve case neck tension or eliminate powder position sensitivity or what ever happens to improve accuracy. And you simply have to try all your options.

I did not mean to imply accuracy improvement. It generally means that you don't have to shoot as hard if you can cut the jump while cutting pressure on the base. If either of those is or has been a problem, then accuracy WILL improve.

Everything that we do with cast is to offset or solve problems that WE create.

Big difference, just so you know.

Good luck.

9.3X62AL
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Everything that we do with cast is to offset or solve problems that WE create.

THERE is a quote in need of framing!

44man
01-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Actually cutting down the jump that the bullet experiences is a good thing. The farther the jump, the faster the velocity will be at impact and the harder the bullet will need to be to withstand that impact without stripping.

So when you can, .... cheat.
Another great answer. If you want to see boolit jump. look at this! :bigsmyl2: It is the reason I need hard boolits and have a problem with the softer lead needed for hunting.
But boolit jump with the right alloy can be super accurate so don't worry about it. It is something you can work around. These groups were shot at 50 yards and I have a pile of 1" groups at 100 yards.

Bucks Owin
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Looks like you should recut that cyl to .458 Win amigo! :bigsmyl2: