PDA

View Full Version : 300 savage gas check

06-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm new to bullet casting, but despite this have been able to cast, lube, size, and seat gas check on some 170 gr Lee FP 30 cal bullets. I'd like to load them in 300 Savage, but am concerned about the short neck on the case and the relatively long bullet. I "think" its bad to have the gas check seated so deep that it is no longer in the case neck, which will be necessary to get the cannelure and the case mouth to line up. Also, having the lube exposed to powder is bad too, yes?

Any suggestions on how to get around this? Seat the bullet higher and have the cannelure and case mouth not match (I never planned on crimping this load)?

No matter what, this won't be a waste -- these bullets will find their way into some kind of cartridge case -- a 30-06 will surely solve this problem.

Josh

chunkum
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I'd be interested in hearing a few voices of experience on this one myself. Years ago I had a .300 Savage M 99 RS and loaded a few cast bullet for it just for funsies. I was new to casting and not real experienced with reloading bottleneck rifle cartridges either. My bullet was the Lyman 311291 and I pondered the same questions you pose now. My associates assured me that it was not an absolute thing but the higher you could seat the bullet without going over mag length, the better. And if any lube grooves might be intruding on the powder space, they shoud be cleaned out before seating. I'd think exact alignment of the case neck with the cannelure groove is a lesser consideration, particularly since sufficient neck tension pretty much makes a crimp unnecessary in non tubular mag rifles.
Hopefully someone on this board with more practical experience can comment and clear up this apparent impasse of characteristics of bullet and brass.
Best Regards,
chunkum

454PB
06-05-2006, 12:33 AM
There are others on this forum with more experience loading cast boolits for bottlenecks than me, but I can testify that I use GC boolits in my .308, 300 Win. Mag, and .338 Win. Mag. All of these have relatively short necks, and usually have the GC hanging down in the combustion chamber unsupported. I use Hornady crimp on checks exclusively in this situation, and have never had a bad experience. I use Lyman non crimpers too, but not in a short neck. Of course I seat the boolits out when and where possible, but I haven't had any problem with the deep seated ones.

Another way to address this if it worries you is to use a slow burning powder that fills the case enough to compress against the GC. In the past I used case fillers to overcome the problem, but after some warning signs I have stopped that practice.

JDL
06-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I have used 311359, 311466, and 31141 mostly in my .300 Savage, the later 2 for deer hunting. 31141 in particular, has been outstanding in taking deer, leaving 2" diameter paths of destruction in the lungs. The OAL length is right at 2.6" to function through the magazine, which just slightly intrudes the powder space. -JDL

NVcurmudgeon
06-05-2006, 01:18 PM
No .300 Savage experience, but for more than thirty years I have shot long GC boolits in 7 X 57, .308 Winchester, and 8 X 57. All intruded into the powder space to a greater or lesser degree, and none were any trouble.

Maineboy
06-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I've loaded the Lee 180RN, 311291, 311041, and RCBS 30-180-FN, all to about 2000 fps in my 99F. All of these boolits intrude quite a ways into the powder space yet the gun still shoots them into 3" or so at 100 yards. The only problem I've had is getting the short neck to provide a good firm hold on the boolit. I bought a Lee factory crimp die and that seems to do the trick.

David R
06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Its more important to load the boolit so it fits the gun than lining up the crimp groove. I don't flare or crimp bottle neck cases anyhow. I would try loading the boolit so it just touches the rifling if it will fit in the magazine. Don't worry about the gas check or lube.

The only time lube in the case is a problem is when temps are hot and it can melt. It will contaminate the powder.

Most of my loads have the crimp groove sticking out there pretty good.

I load one boolit long and smoke it with a candle or color it with a sharpie. Then chamber it. If the bolt will close and lock, pull the cartridge out carefully and look at the boolit. You will be able to see if its touching the rifling or the troat. Go from there. OAL is the second most imortant thing for accuracy only exceded by diamater.

Only MY opinioin
David

06-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I'll make it to the range this week or not -- my public range is only open Wed-Sat and I'm in the field from Thursday-Sunday. When I have some results, I'll report.

BTW, I'm using a 99F (56-58 era) for this and have sized the bullets to .309. I know I should slug the bore, but I'm not to that level of proficiency yet. I figured this 170 gr RN FP was a good place to start -- I plan on using it in 300 Savage, 30-30, 308, and 30-06.

singleshot1
06-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I have used a 154 grain NEI bullet, gas checked, with all grooves lubed with no problems at all. I seat it to the crimping groove, which puts the gas check well into the powder space. This is in a 99 G model and an EG both in 300 Sav. Accuracy in both rifles is very good, 1 in to 1 1/4 in. @100 yds. I don't recall just what powder charge I use, but it is about 1400fps. I think you find those 99's will shoot a whole lot better than most people think. Dave:mrgreen: