PDA

View Full Version : improved 40 cal teaser pics!

BT Sniper
01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
For those of you awaiting the one step 40 cal set up from me or those of you interested in swaging, even those of you who allready have a set of CH dies I though I would post a pic of what I acomplished in upgrading the finished 40 call bullet from 9mm brass.

I tweeked the HP design and must say I am pleased with the results. This bullet was made with the improved components that will be sent out to all of you with orders. I have all the HP and FN punches made and things are on schedule. Dies may be to my door by end of week from CH or certainly early next week. The finished bullet is nearly identical to the 44 cals I have made and have to offer.

Good shooting

BT

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/upgraded40cal008.jpg

Ammosmith
01-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Nice...more details please.

ETG
01-25-2010, 02:24 AM
What core did you use for that?

BT Sniper
01-25-2010, 03:19 AM
OK........I experimented all weekend with different HP styles. It turns out there is a bit of magic in the design of the hp and the amount of lead that is exposed at the tip of the bullet. Yes it is obvious that the volume of the HP will take up space in the case and cause the lead to displace but a lot has to do with the lenght of the HP too. Not going to reviel all my secrets just yet.

So I took my 125 grain Lee .356 cast boolits and started cutting lead from the tip to figure out just what weight combination would make the "perfect bullet". My cores of ww alloy come out at about 128 so I figured the 120 grain Lee .356 would drop around 122grains. If I remember correct that is what weight core I used for the pic above. I figure I can make small adjustments to the size of the HP punch to tayler it to individual weight cores so the lead will meet the top of the jacket without excessive force applied.

This was a unaltered fired 9mm case with belled mouth just like the many I have posted pics of. Weight of the case was around 63 grains + 122 grain core = 185 grain 40 cal bullet. Pretty sweet looking I think. Can't waite for somone to recover one of these.

I think the 120 grain .356 cast boolit mold may be a good combination for this 9mm case bullet. Of course the 125 will work great too.

BT

yondering
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Sweet looking bullets.

Will those hollow points expand though? Seems like the jacket is pretty thick. Firing one into a few milk jugs full of water will tell you what they'll do. 3-4 jugs should do it if they expand, 8-10 jugs if they don't.

CWME
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
1st nice looking bullet! 2nd How the heck did you cut that one in half? Third I like your thinking with the different pins.

In my 44 from 40 experiments the lead doesn't get to the end of the jacket. Using wire cut to whatever weight needed to bring it to the tip was my next adventure. However, your idea of changing the HP pin to offset more of the lead is a great idea. This will keep the bullets I am making in a more conventional weight instead of 280 or 290 grns.
Gotta add that to the list of stuff to make=)

BT Sniper
01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
The 44s made from 40 S&W brass have expanded great. Many picks posted here of them. This 9mm jacket as well as the 40 S&W jacket is thin at the top and tapers thicker at the bottom. How many times have you read the sales pitch about controled expansion. These should be a great bullet. I will have a 40 cal soon to shoot some from as well as the many here that will be shooting there own very soon.

Cut it..... more like ground it! With bullet in vise grips I removed half with a hand held grinder mounted in a vise. Bench grinder probably do the same thing. It was easier then trying to "cut" it in two. Take your stock CH HP punch and try to lengthen it by removing some material from the right angle that stops the depth of the HP. If your carfull and brave this should work for your lead to the tip of the jacket problem. Think it threw first.

BT

CWME
01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Basically need to move the shoulder back which would extend the pin into the bullet more. This would displace more of the lead core theoretically bringing the lead to the nose of the bullet.

Need to make some stronger internal parts anyway. A new HP pin is called for=)

10 ga
01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I thought it was 40 cal taser!

fishnbob
01-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Can I cut the case head off with a cutoff saw since it doesn't swage out to .400 or so I have read that it won't?

BT Sniper
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
If you turned the rim off with a lathe or milled it off it does make a very good factory looking bullet and reduces weight about 15 grains. Cutting it was a bit more then my mini chop saw could handle.

The rim will expand to .400 if fully annealed.

fishnbob
01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Good! I may try that. I just mailed a PMO to you for the 40 cal setup. Can you crystal ball me a possible date of delivery?

fishnbob

BT Sniper
01-27-2010, 02:07 AM
I'll have to check the numbers. In this first round I order 10 40cal swage dies. Depending on when everyones checks arrives I figure is a good way to determine the priority list. If yours falls with in the first 10 I would "crystal ball" it around 3rd week in Febuary. Possibly sooner. Or possibly a week later depending on if you fall in the second order of dies to CH. It should not be to long after I recieve the dies. I'll certainly take what time is needed to make sure they are perfect and keep every one updated.

Thanks

Brian

Storydude
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Off topic, but any chance you are going to modify the .30 cal dies for people? I"m REALLY interested in your 5.7 to 308 bullets. I would even dig into the new firearms budget to get a set of those dies......

BT Sniper
01-28-2010, 09:47 PM
I have made new components for all the CH dies. The 308 die CH offeres makes a good 165 grain from the 5.7 that resembles a good 30-30 bullet. It is not the same die as some of the good looking 308s I have made that are sleeker and look more like a triditional 308 bullet. If a 30-30 type 308 bullet is what you are looking for at 165 grains or less then the ch dies would be very good. If you are looking for sleek long range 180 grains or more we are going to have to look around a bit. Maybe someday I will perfect making dies from blank steel but haven't mastered it just yet.

Storydude
01-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm looking to make between 115G and 160G spitzer point. I don't need an 8S ogive, just something somewhat pointy to feed in my semi-auto's. Blasting/plinking ammo is just too expensive buying even bulk. Cast just isn't cutting it for me. SP, or exposed lead tip is great.

I know I'm asking a lot, but just how hard was it to modify the ch dies to get a spitzer point? I'm pretty handy but don't have machine tooling available.

Thanks in advance.