PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 30-150-SP in a .30-30 lever?

selmerfan
01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has used any of the RCBS semi-pointed .30 caliber molds in a lever action rifle, .30-30 specifically. I'll be loading for a Win 94AE and don't have a FP mold, and I'm wondering if I can use the semi-pointed. The point of the bullet IS smaller than the diameter of the primer, which makes me jumpy. My cautious side says I should just pay for a 150 or 170 gr. FP mould and not worry about it. Thoughts are welcome!
Selmerfan

Vly
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I have that same mould, which RCBS has not made in awhile. I use it in the K31, where it does very well.

I have read various articles on the danger/hype on this issue. It is one of those, "I suppose it COULD happen" things. I have never heard a first hand report of a magazine cartridge being set off by recoil.

But to ease your mind, why not use your rifle as a "2 shooter" - one in the mag and one in the chamber? You get to use the boolit you want and no risk of a magazine mishap.

curator
01-25-2010, 09:28 PM
If you have a "lubrisizer" it is possible to "bump" the pointy noses into a nice flat meplat. Air-cooled wheel weight alloy works well for about a week after casting. After wich is usually becomes too hard. Find or make a flat nose punch of the appropriate size and set the bullet travel to bottom out with the correct amount of nose shortening. This will also expand the nose diameter slightly often resulting in better accuracy.

selmerfan
01-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Curator, I've thought about that option and may give it a run.
Selmerfan

OutHuntn84
01-25-2010, 11:48 PM
All above are really good ideas. IMHO if you have the funds just get the mold, then no wories no extra work.

MT Gianni
01-26-2010, 12:59 AM
If you have the mold and are not planning to hunt with the spitzer, load singly or one in the chamber and one in the tube.