PDA

View Full Version : Wax or Rubber Bullets

DCP
01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Anyone shoot wax or rubber bullets out of 308 30-06 .223 303 8mm

I have shot 38 or 357 rubber out of a 20" 1873 win small PP
You have to load then 1 at a time but it works

I sure it would work in a 45-70, 38-55 but you might have to use a shotgun primer

So I was thinking what about a bolt rifle say your old k98 or 1903a1 or what ever

You would need to use wax unless you can find 30 cal rubber

Any Ideas

mooman76
01-24-2010, 06:34 PM
You could use glueletts. Do a search here and you will find something about glueletts made from a hot glue gun using bullet moulds. The are fired from oistols using just a primer. I never heard of someone using a rifle but it sounds interesting.

thx997303
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Jim uses gluelits in his 1895 guide gun. Says he uses round ball because it has less bearing surface.

Interesting stuff.

dominicfortune00
01-24-2010, 09:08 PM
When I get a new mold, I'll cast one out of wax just to have one to handle.

Never tried shooting them though, don't know if they would make it out of the barrel on a rifle, or just coat the bore with wax.

Bullshop Junior
01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Why shoot fake boolits?

DCP
01-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Why shoot fake boolits?

They are not fake they are REAL and thats how you should treat them

They are cheap and quiet.

They are just different just like a cat's sneeze load is different

XWrench3
01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Why shoot fake boolits?

because sometimes, the neighbors get nervous when you touch off full blown 300 mag rounds, and their house is only 140 feet from yours!

Shiloh
01-25-2010, 07:02 AM
The price and availability of primers would put a damper on this for me.

Shiloh

DCP
01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
The price and availability of primers would put a damper on this for me.

Shiloh

Yes at first I thought this same thing

But what I am thinking is in a survival situation you dont need 308 to take a rabbit and its way to loud
I think a cat's sneeze load or Gallery load will do the trick on this. They did these in the 1920 and Great Depression with military surplus rifles

So how low can you go with as little componets as possible and still work and take small game.

Also to practice is the winter and not freak out the neighbors

dangerranger
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
with wax and a 209 primer it will punch through two layers of cardboard accross my garage.. it will probably put an eye out. I have shot a few rats with it also. beyond 30ft it drops off pretty fast tho. what I use to catch them is a cardboard box with canvas hanging loosely from the top. [like a curtain]. they drop into the bottom for remelting. DR.

Bullshop Junior
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't have to worry about that......

DCP
01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
with wax and a 209 primer it will punch through two layers of cardboard accross my garage.. it will probably put an eye out. I have shot a few rats with it also. beyond 30ft it drops off pretty fast tho. what I use to catch them is a cardboard box with canvas hanging loosely from the top. [like a curtain]. they drop into the bottom for remelting. DR.

So what caliber

Handgun or rifle

Jim
01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
So what caliber, Handgun or rifle?

Doesn't matter. There's a gluelit and lubing method for anything you want. PM me with your questions and I'll be glad to help you out.
I've shot gluelits in .357, .45 Colt, .308, .30-06, .303, 8MM and .45-70. They can be loaded as soft as just enough to get them out the barrel or hot enough to penetrate a 1 gal. food can. I even developed a loading method for straight wall calibers that will push a gluelit so fast, it can't be tracked with the human eye.:shock: If you don't think that won't put a feral cat or stray dog in high gear, think again!

Jim
Head of R&D
NAGS
National Association of Gluelit Shooters[smilie=s:

KCSO
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
IN 308 the Germans use to make a factory plastic bullet practice round that hade a perforation around the base of the bullet and a brass primer unit that was pressed into ther base of the case. In the 70's I got a bunch that were sent back to the US Army for testing. I used wax in a 30-40 but the 308 has a lot shorter neck so I don't know how the short bullet would do there and I would be tempted to try glue lits first. I think that RED JET made some plastic bullets in 30 but I haven't seen them for years.

As to being lethal, in th e70's we did a lot of practice with Speer 38's and these were strictly priomer powered. I was home one night for break about 3 AM and was loading up a bunch when i saw the cat jump on the table and start to eat MY DONUT! I grabbed the K38 and snapped on off at the cat to teach him a lesson. The bullet entered in theback ot the left ear and killed th cat dead as a turd right on the spot. Whoa, I just killed my wifes cat, what to do...

I ran outside and put the cat under the back tire of my brother in Laws car. When I came home at 7 the BIL was there and consoling my wife because he RAN OVER her cat. He even offered to buy her another one and I thought that was dam'n nice of him, all things considered.

Bottom line, nearly silent and good for game up to cat size.

dominicfortune00
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I was home one night for break about 3 AM and was loading up a bunch when i saw the cat jump on the table and start to eat MY DONUT! I grabbed the K38 and snapped on off at the cat to teach him a lesson. The bullet entered in theback ot the left ear and killed th cat dead as a turd right on the spot. Whoa, I just killed my wifes cat, what to do...

I ran outside and put the cat under the back tire of my brother in Laws car. When I came home at 7 the BIL was there and consoling my wife because he RAN OVER her cat. He even offered to buy her another one and I thought that was dam'n nice of him, all things considered.

ROFLMAO!

That's a good one!

Down South
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM
That was quick thinking. It makes a great story too. :bigsmyl2:

ilcop22
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
For shi-giggles, I've shot maybe one wax boolit out of a 30-06. I cast it by melting parafin in a cut open coke can over the stove, then pouring directly into the mold. Shot steel with it and it disappeared. Fun if you have extra primers and time on your hands. ;)

ghh3rd
01-26-2010, 08:39 PM
When I got my .38 snub I let my 12 yr old son have some target practice on the back porch.

I drilled out the primer hole on a dozen cases so the primers wouldn't back out when fired. These cases were marked permanently so as not to mix with un-modified cases.

I bought a box of Gulf Wax (sheets) and heated one just enough to punch out wax boolits with the cases. Pushed the boolit to the bottom of the case, and installed the primer.

They shot low, but were very fast, pretty loud, and didn't group too bad at about 20 feet. Of course, I couldn't help but think of the primers that were being used...

Randy

Jim
01-27-2010, 04:51 AM
Yeah, I suppose you could look at it like that. The way I see it, primers are running me about 3.5 cents a pop. Personally, I think that's a small price to pay to be able to shoot in my basement when it's raining, when my wife wants to shoot her model 19, or just to have some fun. Hey, ya' gotta burn the primers anyway if you're gonna load 'em with boolits, right? If I wanna shoot gluelits or boolits, I gotta burn primers.

dangerranger
01-27-2010, 06:32 AM
So what caliber

Handgun or rifle

Ive shot them in 45 cal marlin 94 and most of the revolver cals. it also works from 22lr rifles. for the 22 I pulled the bulits and slid short pieces of birthday candles into the empty cases. just primer powered it will take a pigen out of the barn rafters without damaging the roof. DR

DCP
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Doesn't matter. There's a gluelit and lubing method for anything you want. PM me with your questions and I'll be glad to help you out.
I've shot gluelits in .357, .45 Colt, .308, .30-06, .303, 8MM and .45-70. They can be loaded as soft as just enough to get them out the barrel or hot enough to penetrate a 1 gal. food can. I even developed a loading method for straight wall calibers that will push a gluelit so fast, it can't be tracked with the human eye.:shock: If you don't think that won't put a feral cat or stray dog in high gear, think again!

Jim
Head of R&D
NAGS
National Association of Gluelit Shooters[smilie=s:

It worked good Jim

.311 Lee round ball 30-06

Made some 40-65 300 grain and it sure did tear up that glue stick

Didnt shoot those yet

Thanks again

bbs70
02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I recently bought some 45 Colt cases drilled out for shotgun primers, some C&R wax bullets and a bottle of cleaner to clean the bore with.

Intended for practice in the garage when I can't get to the range.
I was a happy little camper, shooting in my garage all nice and warm and stuff.

BUT, after firing about 30 of these wax bullets I checked the bore of my blackhawk.
GOOD GOD what a mess, I couldn't even see the rifleing because of the wax build up.
I finally got it cleaned out and decided to clean it after each 12 rounds fired, still a mess to clean up.
I spent more time cleaning than I did shooting.
Me thinks I'm going to switch to XRing rubber bullets.

preparehandbook
03-29-2013, 12:54 AM
I've shot manufactured wax bullets, rubber bullets, case punched wax bullets and gluelits.

IMHO they are a vital training aid.

Decades ago when I was a bodyguard I would burn through a box of 50 each night, reload them, and then burn through them again the next day. For draw-and-fire drills they are just the ticket. Of course my room had little dents everywhere and I did break a few windows and lamps, but it was worth it because I could have my duty weapon out and a bullet in the target faster than most of my coworkers could start to get their jacket out of the way.

Now that I'm old these loads are great for basement shooting competitions and eliminating small varmints.

BTW rubber/wax slugs are great for scaring bears away from trash cans, they don't penetrate but the noise and sting makes them move along.

Alferd Packer
02-14-2020, 12:43 PM
I recently bought some 45 Colt cases drilled out for shotgun primers, some C&R wax bullets and a bottle of cleaner to clean the bore with.

Intended for practice in the garage when I can't get to the range.
I was a happy little camper, shooting in my garage all nice and warm and stuff.

BUT, after firing about 30 of these wax bullets I checked the bore of my blackhawk.
GOOD GOD what a mess, I couldn't even see the rifleing because of the wax build up.
I finally got it cleaned out and decided to clean it after each 12 rounds fired, still a mess to clean up.
I spent more time cleaning than I did shooting.
Me thinks I'm going to switch to XRing rubber bullets.
Old thread, but lighter fluid, mineral spirits , and even gasoline will soften and dissolve wax bullet residue pretty easy and quick.
Using it on a bore brush, it goes faster, then change to patches.
Easy peasy.

KCSO
02-14-2020, 01:09 PM
[I]n 223 a primer and a 22 pellet in the case mouth works well.

Dapaki
02-14-2020, 01:18 PM

Regular or magnum primer? Sounds like I know what I am doing this weekend... :drinks:

Alferd Packer
11-22-2021, 09:50 AM
//___//_//////////////////////////

Crayons/Crayolas are .30 caliber and are wax.
Just cut them off 3/4 inch long and load over a primer. Don't strip the paper sleeve off, it just makes the crayon stiffer for penetration although they crumble and shatter when they hit hard surface.
You may need to crimp the case neck slightly to keep it from falling in the case.I just use a little Crisco grease to hold it till it's in the chamber, or some soft wax from ho made bullet lube stuck on the outside of the crayon piece.
Saw this idea elsewhere on here.
My brother has nailed rabbits with this load.
Another thing, I like to put a piece of stiff paper disc on the bottom of home made wax boolit acting like a gas check.
That keeps the primer and powder blast from melting or chewing off the wax bullet and keeps both the cartridge case and the barrel cleaner and probably makes the wax slugs a little more accurate. IMHO.

country gent
11-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Here is how I was shown to load wax bullets in pistol calibers.

Open flash hole up to .100-.105. on small primers I open to large primer so they cant be mixed in with regular brass. on large I sleeve to small'
A tray is made to cast a sheet of paraffin beeswax mix to the thickness to match the length of the bullet.
cases are deburred a little more to make a sharper edge.
push the sized case into the wax to seat and cut out the bullet. then prime the case. this order keeps the bullet from air locking and pushing out.

This is a nice light load for indoor use or pests up close. They will break skin and or leave bruises. and old sheet can be hung lose and used for back stop but it need to be able to billow out, so about a foot to 18" from the wall. Out doors draped over a close line is fine.

Be careful these do pack a punch and are just as dangerous as regular ammo

mdi
11-22-2021, 12:31 PM
Round nose or hollow point?

waksupi
11-22-2021, 02:12 PM
Rubber bullets AKA boomerang bullets. They can come back at you from a hard surface.

Mytmousemalibu
11-22-2021, 03:52 PM
Couple years ago I bought a box of Fiocchi Zeta Pi SPP's for this very reason. A nice non-toxic/lead-free primer to play around with, safe enough inside the house. Sure regular primers do the same job but im not a fan of dispersing breathable lead contamination in my house. Bought them just for playing with glullits, wax, etc. I have a couple boxes of the Speer 38 Special plastics too.

Geezer in NH
11-22-2021, 04:44 PM
because sometimes, the neighbors get nervous when you touch off full blown 300 mag rounds, and their house is only 140 feet from yours! That in itself should not be done. In NH 300 ft from occupied buildings. But 140 feet is rude no matter caliber unless they give permission.

waksupi
11-23-2021, 12:33 PM
That in itself should not be done. In NH 300 ft from occupied buildings. But 140 feet is rude no matter caliber unless they give permission.

You should have head it when I shot my Sharps at a pack rat under my cabin!

W.R.Buchanan
11-23-2021, 06:29 PM
I have heard of dumping some of the shot out and filling the rest with Molten Wax. They call them "Poor Mans Slugs?" Has anyone done Solid Wax Boolits for Shotgun Slugs.

Wonder how well a Solid Wax Slug would work for plinking and pest control? I have another thread on Non Lethal loads for shotguns running in the shotgun forum, maybe this should be there too?

Randy

beagle
11-26-2021, 11:02 AM
Another story. Was in VN in the tent one night and one of the gunners was messing with his M-14. He'd pull the bullet, dump powder and press neck into a bar of soap. Using the primer onlyhe'd shoot pop cans and the steel shaving mirror hanging at the end of the tent. Having fun. Along comes another gunner and sees what he was doing and thought it looked like fun so he picks up the M-14, chambers a ball round and let's fly at the mirror. He got it dead center. A full house load in a tent is LOUD and the shaving mirror was dead. Luckily a rubber plantation made a good backstop and no one was hurt but easily could have been. The Platoon Sergeant was not a happy camper over the incident. Be careful and be sure all participants are read into the act./beagle

Alferd Packer
12-04-2021, 06:53 PM
Shooting wax boolits, I have begun using a small disk of paper as a gas check under the wax and always press the wax to bottom out in the shell for max power.
Some of these primers are more powerful than others in the same batch and those dig into the base of the wax boolit and it smears as it goes up the barrel and into the end of the cylinder.
The gas check paper protects the base and even leaves the shell case cleaner as well as the barrel.
It works for me!

Finster101
12-04-2021, 07:18 PM
I was playing around with wax bullets but quit with the current primer availability and cost. They do work well from .38 and .357 snubbies.

Wilderness
12-04-2021, 10:50 PM
A friend had a problem with (introduced) Asian House Geckos in the house. Apart from crapping on everything, they get into air conditioners etc and short out the electronics.

Solution: BlueTac in the air rifle. No damage to the house and almost zero cost.