PDA

View Full Version : Bsa martini intl

GOPHER SLAYER
01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Next up in my collection of single shots is a BSA Martini Intl. This is a fantastic piece of workmanship. Each piece is milled from a solid block of steel , even the rear sight. It has a very heavy barrel so it is difficult for me to shoot off hand and since I don't care for bench rest shooting, [my heart beat throws the sites off] it spends most of it's time in storage. I do, on occasion mount a Lyman or Unertl scope on it and see how small a group I can make. I like the way it tosses the fired cases over my right shoulder. When it comes time to part with my rifles, this one will be the last .22 to go. I think. In the future, who can tell.

dromia
01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
You have a fine rifle there, I love my martinis.

What markings are on it it looks like a Mark 1 or 2 or possibly a Freeland.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Dromia, my rifle doesn't have the word Mark on it. I suppose it was made before certain modifications made them necessary. A friend of mine had a Mark 1 and it had an adjustable trigger. Mine does not. I had a Martini, customized for Al Freeland in 1950. It had a Eric Johnson five star barrel on it. I know that because somone had the records that Eric kept and he sent them to me thru the Single Shot Rifle Assc. It shot great but Al was a lefty and I am not. My previously mentioned friend just had to have it so I finally let it go. The rascal promtly sold it for a big profit without even shooting it. Then that fellow sold it for an even higher price and I lost track after that. By the way, that friend declined my offer to buy his Mark 1, then took it to a shooting match and sold it for exactly what I offered. I would probubly have clubbed him then and there but he has a gorgeous roller in 40-65 that I am determined to get. I can be devious to. When It comes to aquiring fine rifles , arn't we all a little devious. How many times have we said ,oh I want this gun for my collection,I would never sell it. Yeah right. I must say, Dromia, you are one handsome dude. Now send me that hat.

dromia
01-25-2010, 02:41 AM
Thank you for the compliment need to keep the bunnet as that goes a long way to making me look presentable. :lol:

Its a MK1 then if its got "BSA Martini International .22RF" on it, the Mk1 nomeclature was retrospective when the Mk 2 came out. They were never marked MK 1.

The MK 1 actions were adjustable but you have to drop the block and it is fiddly and awkward to do, the MK 2s had the adjustments through the trigger guard and this block could be retro fitted to Mk 1s.

I love to add a Freeland Super to my collection seen and shot a few examples but never been around when one was for sale, I shoot rifle LH too.

The Freeland was the father of the BSA International stable and as such are important rifles, well from my perspective at least.

Southern Son
01-25-2010, 05:20 AM
My old Smallbore Rifle Club had a couple of BSA's. I used one before my dad bought me my own rifle. Your right about shooting them off hand, even with the sling, it was a workout to shoot an English Match with one. But the heavier one (I think that the other had been re-barreled) shot like all get out.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-25-2010, 08:51 AM
For Martini lovers, BSA also made perfect mirror images for the left handers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/BSA_IntMk2b.jpg

GOPHER SLAYER
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Have any of you gentleman had an occasion to shoot the BSA Mod 15? The rear sight fits into a milled out portion of the receiver. According to my copy of Modern Gun Values it was made from 1915 to 1932. A friend of mine has one and it is a delight to shoot off-hand and it is very accurate. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the wood. It is some sort of bone white hardwwod. Beach maby. He is willing to sell it, for a price of course. I just can't justify another .22 target rifle. I have six and most of them I rarley shoot. When we had our own range we would on occasion have .22 matches. We now have to drive up into the mountains and it seems there is always a wind blowing. The wind ranges from mild to blowing your house down. The wind not only moves the .22 bullit around,it also moves my body. I enjoy shooting off hand and the wind makes it impossible.

clusterduck
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I recently inherited a custom Martini in .22 Super Jet with bull barrel, Burris scope.

Is this a wildcat? Ammo? Value? I've been nosing around rifle forums and found this thread. There's not much information on the internet about these rifles. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Bullshop
01-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Want to trade off that super jet?

docone31
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Not only is that a nice looking Shiner! It is a good cartridge.
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w22supjet.html
That will get you started, the rest will be history in time.
Good luck.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Cluster, the .22 jet was , if I remember cprrectly, developed [HA-HA} BY S&W in cooperation with Remington. In the 1950s. As I recall it was a .357 case necked to .22. The S&W pistol was the mod. 53. Both the gun and ammo were sold without proper testing. When gun and ammo hit the field,reports started to pour in about cylinders binding along with other problems. I think the same thing happened with .256 revolver round. I just remembered another feature of this brillient scheme. You could also shoot .22 long rifle ammo in the S&W pistol. There was this little lever on the hammer to go from center fire to rimfire. I can't remember if you used inserts or changed cylnders. I did have GUN DIGEST books from 1945 to 2004. They were great reference material but I sold them a few years ago so I must rely on memory. Not as accurate as it used to be, so if I have made a mistake anyone can clarify ,feel free to correct it. As you might imagine,the .22 jet had a short life. As for the .256, there were two pistols chambered for it , one was the Ruger Hawkeye and the other was the Thompson Contender. As you might imagine those Ruger pistols are collecters items today.

Herb in Pa
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Here's my Mark III...........

clusterduck
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you for the help guys on the super jet. I should have looked for dies when I picked up this rifle. I think I'll hold on to her for while. I believe I have shot a few West Virgina ground hogs with it in my youth about 25 or 30yrs ago.

Southern Son
01-27-2010, 03:05 AM
Clusterduck,
I am affraid that your rifle is pretty much worthless.:kidding:

I will give you a carton of your favourite brew (NOT PREMIUM) and I will look after it for you.:kidding:

Seriously, that is a stunning little rifle. Colour me green. I will never be lucky enough to get a rifle like that for a reasonable price. [smilie=b:

Buckshot
01-27-2010, 05:39 AM
http://www.fototime.com/0D9C2F993D188A9/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/F17FA8B5ADF90FC/standard.jpg

..............Well I'll get in on the action too :-P. This is my Martini match rifle. I don't know for sure what model it is. The right side of the action is marked to a Miniature rifle shooting club in London on Arundel St I think it is. The rear sight is IIRC a #8 Parker-Hale.

http://www.fototime.com/D6A6951083C897D/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/5C6112DA9EE1770/standard.jpg

The knurled brass cap to the left of the hand stop is the cap for an inletted container holding all the front sight inserts. Someone has added 3 external adjustments for the sear and return spring pressure. It also came with a fairly wide tan canvas sling with long twisted hook type means of attachment. There is a sling loop on the front of the forend. In the top right photo, just in front of the triggerguard are two kind of spherical attachment deals. It's a VERY accurate rifle.

..............Buckshot

Bad Ass Wallace
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Here is a link to most all the BSA models; I have a Mod 12, 12/15 and Int Mik2

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_small-bore_target_rifles.html

Doc Highwall
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
GOPHER SLAYER, if I recall correctly the Smith and Wesson did use inserts to shoot 22lr. I do remember the person who had it say that it would lock the cylinder when shooting the 22 Jet because of the case taper.

stubshaft
01-27-2010, 08:58 PM
When I used to compete in smallbore rifle I had the opportunity to shoot one of the Internation Martini's. They were precision works of art. The rifle team I was on had issued us Anschutz Super Match 54's which were superbly accurate weapons, but I must say that I loved the way the Martini functioned.

Ultimately I built a .218 Ackley Bee on a Cadet action and in a regrettable moment of weakness sold it.

Beautiful weapon you have there.

Dale53
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I have been a fan of the BSA Internationals since 1954 when I started smallbore shooting. They were too expensive for me at the time. However, I later rectified that and now have three - a Mk II standard barrel, a Mk IV lightweight, and a Mk V heavy barrel. These are SUPERB rifles and a genuine piece of small bore history.

FWIW
Dale53

Te Hopo
01-28-2010, 03:19 AM
Man those are some really nice rifles guys.
I love the look of the action and want to build one in .22Hornet one day.

Franklin Zeman
02-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice touch was the hole drilled thru the back of the action. The peep sight was also made with a space in the appropriate place so you ccould clean the barrel from the rear. I believe only the .22 target rifles had that feature.

Wayne Smith
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I have a Mark III and a Mark V. Both have the Parker Hale sights. Mine mount on the side.

SmileMaker
03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
My MKII with a 15x Unertl

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/OH_Smilemaker/Photos/IMG_2338.jpg

Southern Son
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Beautiful rifle, SmileMaker. I just love the look of those Unertl scopes, and that one looks just perfect.
Welcome to the forum, too. You will find the madness runs strong here.

NoDakJak
03-06-2010, 01:21 AM
If I remember correctly, the 22 Super Jet was developed by gunwriter Dan Cotterman (Superdan)of Gun World magazine in the early sixties. The ballistics were similar to the 222 and the case resembled the 222R. Popularity was stymied by the problems encountered whith caseforming. You can contact RCBS to see if they are still selling 222R brass that they imported from Australia. If so you nan simply use a standard 222 reamer to lengthen the chamber and you are in business.
Dan Cotterman and Dean Grenell were a couple of myfavorite writers and both worked for Gun World at that time. Hope this helps to get that beautiful little Martini barking again. Neil