PDA

View Full Version : 38-55 bpcr rate of twist

glen ring
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I am seriously looking into shooting BPCR. I want to purchase a rifle that me and my wife can comfortably shoot and I already own a 38-55 in a Marlin cowboy that we shoot Lever action silhouette with.

My questions are....
What is a good and accurate rifle in 38-55?
What rate of twist do I need to look for to shoot heavy bullets?
I know that the 38-55 is probably a marginal BPCR cal. , But we just like shooting together, are not very serious competitors and I can't afford to buy two rifles.

Any recommendations on accurate rifles and good heavy bullets would be very welcome.

calaloo
01-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Vintage .38-55's usually had a 1:18 twist. The Uberti still does. A better twist rate for a 330 grain bullet would be at least 1:14. I think some .375 barrels can be had in 1:12. Older .38-55's could have a wide span of bore sizes. I removed the inaccurate barrel from my Uberti and replaced it with a Green Mountain barrel. The Uberti barrel's groove diameter was .383 and the G.M. barrel is .3775 with a 1:14 twist. I am still developing a black powder load but the accuracy is already much better than before.

doubs43
01-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Glen, Davidson's has the Winchester High Wall with 28" octagon barrel in 38-55 on sale. If you use their "Gun Genie" and put in your zip code, you can get local dealer offers on-line. You should be able to get one out the door for between $900 & $1,000..... a bargain IMO.

The rate of twist for the Winchester is 1-18 and I shoot the RCBS 312-BC bullet that drops from my mold at 320 grains. The groove diameter is said by Winchester to be .376" and, while I haven't slugged my bore, I size my bullets to .377" and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

I put a Pedersoli USA-431 Creedmoor rear sight on mine and a Pedersoli USA-462 Tunnel sight with spirit level on the front. The trigger is adjustable down to about 3 1/2 pounds. The quality of the rifle is excellent and I can't speak highly enough of mine.

The target below was shot at 100 meters and measures 1 1/4 inches C-C. This is typical and not at all a fluke. The rifle IS accurate!
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i99/doubs43/100MeterTargetHiWall.jpg

montana_charlie
01-24-2010, 02:31 PM
The Pedersoli Hiwall in 38-55 is available with a 1 in 18 twist, and in a 1 in 12 twist...depending on which model you choose.
The faster twist is for heavy bullets.

The chamber was designed with input from Dan Theodore, and it uses the 'old' long 38-55 case. Pedersoli's use of that chamber is the sole reason Starline makes brass in that length.

Dan Theodore has also designed a bullet which fits the Pedersoli throat, to satisfy those who want a heavy one for longer range work.

If you decide to go for a Pedersoli rifle, just ask and I will get you the diagram for that bullet.

Looking at 38-55 from a different perspective, Shiloh offers that caliber in their Sharps, too.
CM

Boz330
01-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I am seriously looking into shooting BPCR. I want to purchase a rifle that me and my wife can comfortably shoot and I already own a 38-55 in a Marlin cowboy that we shoot Lever action silhouette with.

My questions are....
I know that the 38-55 is probably a marginal BPCR cal. , But we just like shooting together, are not very serious competitors and I can't afford to buy two rifles.

Any recommendations on accurate rifles and good heavy bullets would be very welcome.

Really depends on how much you want to spend. I have a CSA Sharps 75 in 38-55. It has a 15 twist Badger barrel and shoots the Lyman 330gr bullet with plenty of accuracy to 600yds. I haven't shot silhouettes much with it but have shot a bunch with my 40-65 and a 350gr RCBS and never had one fail to fall even with a low hit. If you want to shoot anything heavier than 330 you will probably need to go to a 12 twist and something like the 38-50 Hepburn which holds a bunch more powder.
You might give the 40-65 consideration if you are worried about knock down. Recoil isn't noticeably worse than the 38-55 and you can go up to 400gr boolits. Components aren't hard to come by either.

Bob

NickSS
01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I have a 38-55 C Sharps high wall and a second one in 40-65. I bought the 38-55 to save on lead and powder for my local club silhouette shoots. All shooting is done at 200 yards and it works super great for that. Then I started shooting full range silhouettes and it did not take long to convince me that the 38-55 is a little shy on power for 500 meter rams. I was shooting a 330 gr LBT bullet. So I bought the 40-65 and have no problem knoking down 500 meter rams with it. The recoil is a little more but not nearly as much as a 45-70.

glen ring
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Nick
How often do you ring rams?

Cimarron Red
02-01-2010, 02:52 AM
Hi, Glen,

Sent you a PM.

Don McDowell
02-01-2010, 11:41 AM

My questions are....

There's alot of country covered by "bpcr shooting" If you think you're into sillouettes then a larger caliber is probably well advised. If you're main drive will be for "buffalo" type gong matches then the 38-55 will work fine.
Cheapest way might just be spend some serious dollars for a set of longrange sights on your marlin.
Next best would be the 1885's from Davidsons. I know of a few of those being used in gong matches and they handle that job pretty well.
Next stop would be the C Sharps 75 model with the deluxe sights.
Why in the world Pedersoli thinks anyone would pay 1900$ for one of their higwalls, when you could buy two of the winchesters is beyond my abilities to reason.