PDA

View Full Version : Casting technique

prickett
01-23-2010, 09:59 PM
What is the preferred casting technique for a bottom dropping melting pot...

Holding the mould far or close to the spicket?

Also, pouring faster or slower?

TIA

That'll Do
01-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I hold the mold about 1/4" from the spout under my Lee 4-20 pot. As far as flow is concerned, I adjust it depending on the size of the boolit I'm casting–larger boolits get a faster flow, and smaller ones get a slower flow.

fredj338
01-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Every mold is a little diff but I get great results "pressure" casting by holding the spru plate in contact w/ th espout, then when full, pull it away 1/2" or so & get the spru. I always get good fill out. My Magma Caster holds off about 1/4", but there is 35# + of lead pressure behind the double spouts.

Mike W1
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
There must be as many methods as there are casters. I like about a 1/4" gap personally for my Lyman moulds and have also found I do best when I pour into the middle of the sprue hole. You kind of develop a feel for pouring which unfortunately changes as the pot level lowers so I only drop the level about to the point where 4 or 5 ingots will restore it. At that point I refill my lower pot from the upper, give it a quick flux and back to pouring. Ingots only go into the top pot and are fluxed good before I fill the lower. The only slowup is the transfer of molten lead from the one to the other. Have thought of opening the spout up on the top one but am a little hesitant to try it.

WHITETAIL
01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I find the try and see method is best.
I have lerned throu time that each mould is dif.
Some like it hot and some even hotter.
But when I use my bottom pour I add a new ingot
when the pot is only a inch low.:cbpour:

runfiverun
01-24-2010, 11:54 AM
i go about 3/4" and swirl the melt in from the side.
i do have a couple of molds that like a hot fast straight in the hole stream though.
i need to work on their venting some.

Doc Highwall
01-24-2010, 12:02 PM
I find I have to vary the flow from mould to mould not only because of the size of the boolit, but also the venting of the mould. This make me think that maybe I should keep some notes as to what each mould likes along with the temperature and alloy.

243winxb
01-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Off the mould is good, except for the Lee 12ga slug mould, direct contact with the mould to "pressure cast" using pure lead. I did open up, drill out, my old Lee 10lbs pots bottom pour spout to a slightly larger size.

HeavyMetal
01-24-2010, 12:56 PM
As said each mold feeds different.

These days I dipper my HP molds, I pressure cast with my pair of 357 molds and I hold the 6 bangers about a 1/4 inch from the spout on my Lyman pot with a roller guide I made myself.

I also like to start with the cavity closest to me and pull the mold towards me as I fill. By holding the mold at an angle I fill "up hill" and get a nice sprue without partial fill of the next cavity which always seems to generate a half made boolit.

fatelvis
01-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I hold the mold about 1/4" from the spout

Me too.

geargnasher
01-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Depends. Holding off from the spout allows for additional oxidation of Sn and often makes for pitted, ugly boolits depending on temp and Sn content. Pressure casting often leaves trash in the vents and lead "foil" bits in between the block halves which have to be checked for and cleaned out each cast or you will have oversized boolits. I do all of the above and everything in between as neccessary to achieve the most pleasant casting experience and best boolits.

Alloy type, temperature, mould temperature, vent line style, sprue hole diameter, boolit cavity size, and mould block material all have effects upon the best pour, and it each mould has it's own personality. Get to know them well, then MAKE NOTES!

Good luck,

Gear

Mk42gunner
01-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Each maold is different in how they like to be filled. You may be able to use one method for all molds; but I wouldn't bet on it. Some like airspace, some like pressure filling, and some only like a dipper.

I would get rid of the one that wants you to cast blindfolded and behind your back, though:holysheep.

Robert

AviatorTroy
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I totally agree, every mold is different. Seems like my pistol molds like an inch long stream and a good puddle of lead on the sprue plate. On some rifle molds with long skinny boolits I can get away with holding it against the nozzle and pulling the lever for about 5 seconds, getting a good gravity/pressure fill. Just be SURE to knock off the lead booger on the end of the spout before the beginning of each fill or lead will spray everywhere. 8-)

Shiloh
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Which ever method produceds good boolits, coupled with consistancy in pour speed, temp, drop distance, mold temp, ect. Consistency cures a lit of ill when casting.

Shiloh

Crash_Corrigan
01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
I agree with Mike W1 in everythng except I air drop from the LEE 4-30 with the mold about 2 inches below the bottom of the spigot. Get a good sprue puddle and wait for the dimple to form as it cools and draws alloy from the puddle into the cavity.