PDA

View Full Version : Soft gas checks,or

looseprojectile
06-04-2006, 02:58 PM
lube in the place of gas checks.
I find myself running out of gas checks. Down to a couple hundred of .30 cal. Price on box is $5.98.
Being frugal,[read cheap,poor] I have loaded a few .44 mags. with a healthy charge of 2400 behind a SWC 240 gr. GC boolit. Very rich in linotype. Sized and lubed them .429. They came out with the crimp groove and gas check rebate filled perfectly with lube. They feed well manually. Crimped over the front band.
Question; Are these going to work ok in the Ruger carbine, [microgroove, semiauto, old model ser.#6466]? Concerned about leading mostly.
Thanks for your input.

Bucks Owin
06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I would think they might make a mess in your carbine, but I've fired a lot of "barefoot" GC boolits in handguns with good results...

I wonder if you could size your bullets upside down and leave the GC area clean? Maybe that would work in your Ruger....

FWIW,

Dennis

454PB
06-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I've had good luck shooting barefooted, as long as the dimensions where right. I've always wiped the lube off of the GC rebate area, to eliminate any chance of powder contamination. Might not be necessary, but I do it. A Star sizer eliminates the problem.

I used to own one of the Ruger .44 magnum carbines, and I shots lots of cast boolits through it with no problems and good results. The Ruger gas system is fairly easy to clean if the boolits did cause a problem.

looseprojectile
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I only loaded thirty of these and will see how they work.
I have used soft gas checks,[grease cookie] in 45 70 and 43 mauser thinking you can't have too much lube. My lube is working well in .357 in Rossi carbine at 2000 fps or more with PB boolits. Lil gun powder, [gotta love it]. More lube may tend to muck up the gas system so I will pay close attention to this.
I thought it was cool how the boolits came out of the sizer with the GC rebate filled with lube.
Thanks for your replies.

six_gun
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
One thing you may want to consider, when putting all of that lube under the bullet, next to the powder, is will that lube foul the powder that touches it?

If the lube gets hot, like when you leave the bullets in your car on a hot day, or next to a heater in the winter, will the lube melt and foul all of the powder and maybe the primer?

If accuracy is a concern, I would think that lube on the base of the bullet would have an affect on how much of your powder is actually burning. It does come in contact, just pull one of those bullets and see how much powder is stuck the bullet base. Hold a match to it and see if it ignites.

You might try testing it by sticking a few grains of powder in the lube you are using and see if it still burns. Lee claims that their liquid alox will not affect powder, but I have not seen the same claim by other lube makers.

The above is just some things that I have considered, when shooting cast bullets. I have always wiped the lube from the base of all of my bullets and I never get any lead if everything else is right. I have never done the above tests. I just have always assumed that lube and powder should not mix.

Sixgun