PDA

View Full Version : how do i cook a venison ham?

scottiemom
01-23-2010, 07:06 PM
HELP!! i can cook just about anything but have never had the opportunity to cook venison. My hubby brought home a venison ham and i have no clue how to prepare it. Anyone willing to share a recipe? I have a crock pot, dutch oven etc. so can do most anything. Jim (a forum member here and my new husband) will be thrilled - he has been after me for a while now to cook the darn thing (it is in the freezer...waiting)!!

thanks guys!

Dennis Eugene
01-23-2010, 08:56 PM
shucks, really wish I could be more help but here goes nothin'. I'm going to assume that you are refering to what we call a venison roast my wife cooks them in our crock pot/slow cooker just like she would a beef roast with spuds and carrots and what ever else you prefer,oinons or what ever and lets it cook all day it always com,es out tender and good. Like I said I'm not much help as I can barely boil water but I do know how to eat. I take a roast out of both hind quarters on every buck I kill we try to get at least 6 roasts a year out of at least 3 bucks. The roast is one of our favorite cuts of meat. I don't think youcan ruin it don't worry to much and enjoy it, Your only going to want more
Dennis

winelover
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I am not sure what you mean by venison ham, since I never heard of that cut before. I assume it is a roast or leg of venison. In any event, I have a recipe that might work. It originally was for a pot roast but I use venison stew meat...any type of braising meat would do. It has alot of onions which lends itself with venison. Here it is...hope you enjoy.

I make it in a dutch oven on a stove top.
This is a guideline you can adjust accordingly to your preference.

Venison - roast - or stew meat (1-1/2 - 2 lbs)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup catsup
1 t. brown sugar
bottle of beer
sliced onions (1 large)

Brown meat in a little oil. Combine catsup, brown sugar and beer. Pour over browned meat and add onions. Simmer covered for 1-1/2 - 2 hours. If using stew meat, check after 1 hour. Keep in mind, venison doesn't need to be cooked as long as beef.

Makes a lot gravy...serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

Also, left overs are great on sub-buns.

Mrs. Winelover[smilie=s:

Thumbcocker
01-23-2010, 10:34 PM
There are loads of venison receipes on line. The crock pot is your friend. Cook low and slow and you won't go wrong.

Jim
01-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Winelover, that sounds great!

Thanks, guys!!!!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2010, 07:54 AM
first if its a ham with the bone in it get rid of the bone. trim all the fat and connecting tissue you can get at with a good sharp knife. What i like is a retractable blade razor knife. Then just throw it in a crock pot with a cut up onion and a pack of dry onion soup mix cook it on low all day and with about two hours to go throw in some carrots and taters cut up small. The juices will make the best gravy you ever ate. ANother variation of this is to swap out the onion soup mix for cream of mushroom soup. There is no easier way to make a great roast.

Gee_Wizz01
01-24-2010, 08:56 PM
My favorite recipe is one my Mom taught me about 45 years ago. Take a large piece of venison, with no bones or fat. Cut several slots in the meat about 2" deep and put a piece of thick slice bacon in each cut. Then sprinkle the meat with Adolph's tenderizer, sprinkle with garlic powder, and cover the meat with several more slices of bacon. Place the roast in a cooking bag along with about 1/4 cup water. Poke a couple of holes in top of the bag and place in a baking pan. Place in a 325- 350 degree oven and cook until the internal temp is around 150. The venison should be very tender and moist.

G

hoosierlogger
01-25-2010, 06:51 AM
LLoyd is right about the onion soup mix, thats the way I do it. Except I put the carrots and potatoes all in at the same time. After about 10 or 12 hours that meat will fall apart with little effort.

jlchucker
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
There are loads of venison receipes on line. The crock pot is your friend. Cook low and slow and you won't go wrong.

So's the cast iron dutch oven.

jlchucker
01-25-2010, 10:40 AM
first if its a ham with the bone in it get rid of the bone. trim all the fat and connecting tissue you can get at with a good sharp knife. What i like is a retractable blade razor knife. Then just throw it in a crock pot with a cut up onion and a pack of dry onion soup mix cook it on low all day and with about two hours to go throw in some carrots and taters cut up small. The juices will make the best gravy you ever ate. ANother variation of this is to swap out the onion soup mix for cream of mushroom soup. There is no easier way to make a great roast.

Lloyd, the onion soup mix is something I myself have used for years. What you've described works very well with not only venison but with boneless beef chuck roasts and pork roasts as well. Lately though, I've taken to mixing it up with less than half a cup of water and an equal portion of burgundy wine. The cheap Gallo wine is good for this application. After a while, when you lift the lid to check your progress or to put in other stuff, the alcohol from the wine steams away, and the flavor "incorporates" ( to use one of those TV cooking guys' buzzword) with everything else, adding to the flavor.

Steve
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
A venison ham to me is not a roast. It's like a smoked picnic pork ham that has to be cooked before eating. A venison ham will be about 8-12 lbs. after smoking. Thaw your ham out in the refrigerator for about 3 days before cooking, then weight it. I cook an 8lb. venison smoked ham for 3-1/4 hrs. at 350 (it should register 160 on a meat thermometer when done). Just treat it like a bone in picnic ham.

DeadWood
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
If you truly want to make a ham try this: Brown surgar Ham KIT

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/3766/seasonings_cure_spices

Your husband will think your the greatest!! We have done this many times and friends think wear joshing them itsvenision. There are other sites that have similiar product but this is what we use. not hard at all. If you want more detail on product and instruction i can post it.

Now if your just wanting to cook whole as a roast then try above.

We even have Corned Venision reciepes that will knock your socks off. Lots of good options just have to take care not to over cook.

badgeredd
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM

Lloyd,

My cousin down near Iron River makes hears exactly the same way, "cept she throws in a cup of a cheap red wine. MAN...does that ever make me hungry!

Edd