PDA

View Full Version : BP in 32S&W long?

Shooter6br
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Have H&R "automatic ejector in 32 S&W long. I understand it was first loaded with BP. What type of BP? I heard 7 g of some type of BP Just curious

SamStafford
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a Nagant Pistol and I'm going to reload .32Longs with BP when I can get ahold of some .32 brass. I was planning on using some 777 with lead round balls.

Harry O
01-23-2010, 09:31 PM
I have not loaded the .32 Long with BP, but I have loaded the 32-20. It was no different than any other BP cartridge I have loaded. Find out where the bottom of the seated bullet is on the side of the case and mark it. Then find out how much BP will fill the case to that mark plus about 1/8" (this amount is not real critical -- just make it consistent). The BP will be lightly compressed when the bullet is seated.

Make sure you use soft lead for the bullets and soft (BP type) lube. You can use hard lube if you must, but will have to clean the gun much more often. FFFg BP would probably be best, although FFg would work (at lower velocity). You should not have to worry about pressures with either one. You can use plain small-pistol primers. I have only found the biggest cases need Magnum primers.

Don't expect to shoot it very much (say 2 or 3 cylinderfulls) before wiping the bore. I usually have to clean the complete gun before 50 rounds. Each gun is different on that and will change from day to day. Carry a tub of soapy water with you and dump the cases in it when you eject them from the gun. Shake the tub (make sure it has a top) when you are done and drain them through a wire collander. Then dry and reload conventionally.

oksmle
01-23-2010, 10:13 PM
100 gr. pure Pb boolit in front of 13.0 grs FFFG Goex gives about 750 fps in my S&W 4" bbl. I use Emmerts lube. Works good.

muskeg13
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I've used OO buckshot hand pressed into 32 S&W Long cases over a load of FFG for cowboy action "belly gun" matches. This was accurate enough for the short ranges involved, doesn't kick much, and produces enough smoke to make it fun. Clean up is easy with soap and hot water, and a box of buckshot goes a long long way. Loading this way, you don't even need dies. Just use a punch to remove the primers, prime with a Lee hand primer, scoop in the black powder and press in a ball. If I'm going to shoot right away, I put a little dab of BP lube under the buckshot, and lube migration isn't a problem. If you load before going to the range, you probably should place a thin wax paper wad between the powder and lubed buckshot.

Multigunner
01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I have an Iver Johnson .32 short that has been reamed to take .32 ACP, a bad idea, but it allowed me to work up a good BP load using cut down S&W Long.

I cut the Long cases to ACP length then I cut the rear section from some cast .311 bullets to make wadcutters, loaded backwards.
Since the more modern smokless case doesn't have the capacity of the old BP balloon heads the longer case still doesn't quite hold a full charge.

I just fill the case to the brim with FFFG and then seat the homemade wadcutter far enough to use a lube groove as a crimping groove and lightly compress the charge. I crimp using a .303 Lee Loader.
No problems so far.

This IJ has what should be a smokeless frame, but its locking block hinge pin will bend if a modern smokeless cartridge is fired.
The old girl had been badly battered by a previous owner trying to use .32 ACP.
I suspect WW2 surplus 7.65 ammo was cheaper than S&W shorts back when they reamed it out.
I had to carefully upset and reshape the lugs atop the frame so it now locks up solidly. I'll make a stronger hinge pin later on and then use modern shorts only.

John Boy
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Cartridge-Pistol-Revolvers.pdf

Springfield
01-26-2010, 12:46 AM
BP bullets ARE available for 32's. Here is one next to a 45 bullet for comparison.