PDA

View Full Version : filler?

DeadWood
01-23-2010, 02:41 PM
If handloading for Win. 30-30 using unique or other pistol powder will i have to add some type of "filler" and if so what are my options?

When do you use "filler" and when don't you?

JSnover
01-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I've used fillers in straight-walled cases and had no problems. Also seen plenty of warnings about not using fillers in bottle-necked cases. The filler can't 'flow' through the shoulder. It gets compressed to a solid and plugs the neck.

old turtle
01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I used just a pinch of dacron pillow stuffing to hold the powder back against the primer. Not even enough to be called any thing close a wad. I did it in both straight and bottle necked brass. This was with very light loads. I did not have any problems but with the selection of powders today I do not find it to be necssary.

JSnover
01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
You'll find plenty of argument for and against dacron. Lots of folks use it the same way you did. The filler materials I was warned against in B-N cases were the powdery type; cream of wheat, etc.

Nrut
01-23-2010, 06:12 PM
DeadWood,
If you are using Unique and faster pistol powders try loads without filler first..
I personally don't use filler with the above powders as it is a pain in the ass for plinking type loads.
If you ever do decide that you want to use fillers make sure that the filler touches both the powder and the boolit base or you may end up ringing your chamber or worse..

DeadWood
01-23-2010, 08:20 PM
thanks.

new to handloading cast, and didn't realize the manual would say to use a filler. Have Lyman cast bullet manual and one other and didn't see any refrence to it. Was just reading and came across something that made me ask.

MtGun44
01-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Unique is, well, pretty unique. It seems to do extremely well even in HUGE cases
like .45-70 with small charges like 10-15 gr and still deliver excellent accuracy without
filler.

Bill