PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld whats it good for?

218bee
01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I guess I'm always looking for a shortcut or a simpler (for me) way to do things and usually they don't work worth a damn. Does anyone use JB Weld to make any repairs on gun parts?? Is it any good?? Manufacturer states it can be "machined" and "threaded", is that true? It would be nice if it worked but I fear it cannot be that strong. I mess around with a lot of old clunkers and often have pin holes that are enlarged or oblong on one side, or a piece of metal that needs to be built up to fit/work better. I realize the best or right way to make these repairs are building up the area with a braze or weld neither of which I am too good at. But alas I fear there is no magic in a bottle is there?

oneokie
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
It does have a fairly low tensile strength. Can't take over 350 degree heat. Have used it to repair farm machinery, wallered out holes in castings, repair leaky diesel tanks, repair bearing housings that were egg shaped from bearings locking up. Have even bedded a 22 action.

sucngas
01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
The front site of my black powder revolver fell off (dang cheap replicas). I put a drop of jb on it and stuck it back on the barrel. That was about 8 years ago. Still holding.

I also used it to build up the front sight on a k31 that was shooting too high. Works great.

docone31
01-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I use JB a lot. Mostly Inlays.
I have used JB for bedding. It works ok for that. For tapping, it is crumbly. You have to have the pilot hole real close to threaded dia. I have Vaselined a threaded part that JB went around. That worked better than tapping.
It is very heat sensitive though. Very. It is an epoxy, so it can burn. I have added more filler to it to thicken it, I have also mixed extra time epoxy with JB. I mix both, then add them together. Creates a different finish.
Within its working criteria, it does a good job.
It is not Accraglas however.
That said, I have done many beddings with it.
Good stuff.

twotoescharlie
01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
better than bailing wire.

TTC

Heavy lead
01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I have used it to attach front sights on revolvers (on two occasions) and it worked fine, on both occasions though I removed and soldered permantly as I didn't trust it. I do use a lot of it on Lee mould handles, have probably 15 or so, wood is all JB Welded before use. I used it also to permantly attach (I believe 44 man may have done this too) a scope mount to my BFR 475 Linebaugh, along with the mounting screws and it works great.

RBak
01-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I have done several repairs with JB Weld that turned out fine, the most remarkable being a broken metal part of the brake system on the left rear wheel of a 4-Wheeler back in 1998...50 miles from nowhere, and I unconsciously found it in the carrier, along with some wire that I initially wired the two pieces together with while it cured overnight.

That stupid thing is still running, still braking, still stopping, just as good as if I had replaced the part or repaired it with a real weld....only thing is it has been cleaned up nice and painted.

Now, having said that, let me say that I used JB Weld on a rear sight a couple of years back... on an older model 24V Savage....I thought I had everything cleaned and prep'd real good before I applied it, but it got knocked off less than a year later. :-(

I suspect the good goes with the bad when one is improvising, and although I always considered JB Weld as strictly a "temporary" fix, I know of one instance where it has shined like new money for well over ten years.

Did I do something right the first time and dead wrong the next? I dunno, wish I did. :???:

Russ...

Doc Highwall
01-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I use it for making custom top punches for my SAECO luber sizer when I use moulds made by other manufacturers then Redding. Every time I see some SAECO top punches for a cheap price I try to pick them up.

bigdog454
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Put rifle sights on shotguns for slug use. Did a 20 ga single shot that I cut the barrel to 22 inches, when my one son was 15, the sights are still on, he's 32 now. Gun has went thru 2 more of my kids and sights are still on. We use it now as a backup gun during deer hunting trips. It's killed it's share of deer too.

Willbird
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I do not use it for anything. To each his own :-).

Storydude
01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
It works GREAT as a "body filler" for ugly ground down welds on my Firearms builds, prior to finishing/coating.

There are 3 places on this firearm visible where JB was applied as a filler. Can you find them?
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3966/20100108222400medium.jpg

Joneser
02-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Used it to repair my gas tank on my old CJ-7, never on firearms.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
It works good for glueing crummy handles on crummy mold block handle tangs. BvT

Electron Don
02-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I always keep some in the toolbox of my truck, camper & boat. I have fixed fuel tanks, hydraulic leaks, outboard motor water jacket. It has saved many an outdoor weekend when the shop is too far away or closed. I did use a tiny amount to re-attach the bolt handle on a Remington 512.

fourarmed
02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
At the suggestion of someone on this board, I glued a .003" steel shim to the locking surface of a double shotgun locking bolt. Don't know how well it will hold, but it will be interesting to find out.

First Big Foot
02-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I guess I'm always looking for a shortcut or a simpler (for me) way to do things and usually they don't work worth a damn. Does anyone use JB Weld to make any repairs on gun parts?? Is it any good?? Manufacturer states it can be "machined" and "threaded", is that true? It would be nice if it worked but I fear it cannot be that strong. I mess around with a lot of old clunkers and often have pin holes that are enlarged or oblong on one side, or a piece of metal that needs to be built up to fit/work better. I realize the best or right way to make these repairs are building up the area with a braze or weld neither of which I am too good at. But alas I fear there is no magic in a bottle is there?

If you just want to make something fit better in a spot with just a couple thousandths, you can stipple carefully, (with a sharp center punch or high quality awl you're willing to sacrifice), one of the mating surfaces to cause it to "pucker up".

Peening edges can do this too. (carefully tap an outside edge to cause it to "stretch". Buck it well with non-marking surface, like a brick of lead. A punch can help direct blows more carefully.)

Sometimes you can just add a thin shim to the loosness.

I doubt any epoxy product is a good firearm fixer. And that goes for super glue, gorilla glue, um except that there is now a dark colored wood glue that would be good for stock repair.

lead Foot
02-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I was chasing pigs one day with my savage 30-30 170 pump gun ~ I was in my 4x4 and hit a hole ~ the bloody gun came up and hit me in the chin and flew out the window.
when I picked it up the stock had broken off. The action is alloy which holds the stock on, I glued it with JB weild. It did come away after a while because the bolt holding the butt pulls the joint apart. So the next time I used wire for a reinforce and has not moved since. JB I think is the pick of them.
Lead foot;

AkMike
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
I used it to glue a chunk of an engine block back in after it tossed a rod. Granted it was just a litle Onan but it's still holding tight. It's a good epoxy glue. Marine Tex brand is as good or better.

Shooter6br
02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Try PC-7 Good for bedding actioins. It had a display of a soda bottle wit a golf ball, hooks etc bonded to it. Very impressive display

atr
02-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I use it alot to fix broken...or about to break .....parts for old motorcycles....works well on everything Ive used it on...Ive even plugged oversized holes with it packing them with a mix of fine steel wool and JB weld...then I can actually drill and tap that hole !!

wmitty
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I live here in "suffering springs" where this stuff is made and knew the wife of the inventer and that amounts to exactly zero when actual use of the material is involved. However, I have tried it on many jobs just to see what it would work on, most recently to hold receiver site in position on a Savage 340 while trying to drill and tap the receiver. Did not work. Did work on gluing the barrel to the stock and letting action float. I have used it on several occasions to repair gas tank leaks on a (yep) CJ 7 and did not work. The gas melts it some way and each time I'd come home from work with gas dripping on the driveway after a month or so of thinking I'd finally got it to hold. Overall, I believe I've had many more failures than successes with it.

RBak
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Since we have discussed all the merits of JB Weld, would anyone know of a quick and easy way to get the stuff to release....other than beating the dog %$#$@ out of both pieces.

I have only had it fail once, and that was also on a gun sight, but this time I'm wishing it would give up the ghost only half as easily as it did when it failed that one time.

.....once again I'm wondering why do I do this? [smilie=b:

Ever heard about there being no fool quite like an old fool? Well, guess whut!

Russ...

Storydude
03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Heat. If standard JB, it will start to break down over 450*F.

Really stinks if you have to remove 2 pieces from something that loses it temper near that temp, or melts before that temp LOL