PDA

View Full Version : Puma 45 Colt!

Freightman
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I finally got to the range and had time to work on a load for my Puma, will not give you the grains as it is a little over the top according to load data. Using a LEE 255gr boolit and SR4759 powder I was able to get 3" group at 100 yds and with my left eye as I have lost the sight in my right for all practical purposes and I have never shot left handed until recently. The heaver loads work best in this rifle and they (the loads) are not for a revolver unless a Super Blackhawlk or FA. I now have my hunting load, so next is to find a lite load for fun. If you have a chance to get a Rossi (Puma) get it they are fun and well built IMHO.

corvette8n
01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a 16" bbl Puma carbine in .45 Colt, and have yet to shoot cast, but I have shot some Double Tap .45 Colt +P, this will black and blue your shoulder.

O.S.O.K.
01-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Yep - they are great leverguns. I have a 20" octagonal, cressant bs, color case hardened 44 Mag with walnut furniture - got it from Buds' - they are now sold out unfortunately.

Mine shoots great and I'm heading to the range tomorrow to test some 300 gr Lee gc boolits in it - 21.0 grains of H110 for around 1600 fps. Sized to .431" - this load does great in my Marlin 94 and I'm hoping for the best with the Rossi - it'd be great to have one load for both...

That boolit is cast with wheel weights and some tin - lubbed with LLA.

timkelley
01-22-2010, 11:45 PM
I like eight grains of Unique with that rifle and boolit combination. You can load a lot heavier if you want but that load is just plain FUN!

Snyd
01-22-2010, 11:49 PM
Congrats! I know how you feel. I have one in a 454 and it shoots everything from 45 Colt 255 plinkers to 45 Colt ruger onlys, to 360gr 454 whoppers very well. Great little guns.

Snyd
01-22-2010, 11:51 PM
I like eight grains of Unique with that rifle and boolit combination. You can load a lot heavier if you want but that load is just plain FUN!

Yup! About like shootin a 22 :)

Freightman
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM

THat is what I shoot most of the time but I need a hunting load as I have a cousin who is having hog problems and they are tough. Of course I could take my Shiloh or Rolling block but that is a little over kill. She says the hogs are getting agressive and she is 82 and has never shot a gun and is afraid of them. O by the way shee still tends to her cattle with no help, her brother fusses at her but I told him to cool it as if she dies tending to the cattle is better than dieing in a rest home.

RP
01-23-2010, 03:32 PM
thats great I got one but have not found a load that would work good in mine yet got to get back to it soon.

Snyd
01-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Try a 335gr or 360 cast performance with a Ruger Only max load of H110/W296.

Here's a load I carry in my 4inch Ruger Redhawk for bear protection. The bullet is 355gr custom LBT mould with an 80% metplat. I could load it up hotter but it'd prolly go clean threw a couple hogs lined up. This is the best I can shoot with open sites with my eyes.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneider/.Pictures/pics/puma_350.jpg