PDA

View Full Version : Problem Lee Pots

nelson133
01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I haven't done any casting for several years. I got out my Lee pots and I have big problems. Both of these are the bottom pour models. The 20 lb comes up to heat and leaks in a steady stream until the pot is empty. I tried turning the shaft via the slot in the top and pushing up and down on the controller and nothing seems to change. The second is a 10 lb pot and the metal seems contaminated. It comes up to heat but the lead doesn't turn top liquid, just some kind of sludge.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. If these are not fixable, what would be a cheap alternative? I'm not a fan of using a dipper, but if that is necessary, would a cheap hot plate and a stainless steel pan work? If so, what kind or shape of pan would be best? Thanks in advance.

fatelk
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
It sounds to me like there could be some crud stuck under the rod/plug on the larger unit, either that or rust. I would take it apart to where the rod comes out (pretty easy), inspect and clean out the hole real good. Unless it's rusted bad or damaged somehow, that should do it. A little bit of crud stuck in there is all it takes.

afish4570
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Or gently with a copper wire (softer than the material the orfice is made of). Of course you should dump the lead out into a muffin tin or ingot mold to empty the pot.
If you carefully work on the mold with melted lead in it......I have been known to poke from the bottom of pot wearing gloves, needle nose pliers with short piece of copper wire....poking and lifting the handle to open valve......Be careful and do whatever you are comfortable with. Sounds worse than it is. Very little leaks out cause the wire or crud is constricting the flow anyhow. Worst case sceniaro just dump as described above. Come sense and gloves etc. are required. Good luck. To prevent crud build up in the pot. I take a piece of metal or old ss spoon held in visegrips and scrape sides of pot down to reduce crud in bottom and reduce chances of crud getting into valve. afish4570:coffee::coffee:

nelson133
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. The pot is empty because the lead all came pouring out the spout. However there must be enough lead in the channel to freeze the shaft in place. What would be the best way to go from here? Should I try turning it upside down with the heat on to clear out the last bit of lead or just try forcing a piece of copper wire up the spout anyway? Thanks.

johnlaw484
01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Mine has done that from time to time due to slag getting under the rod. I just take a small light hammer and tap the top of the rod until it stops leaking.

HORNET
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Heat the nozzle up on the 20 pounder with a propane torch until you can get the shaft out. Be careful, I broke the shaft on a used on that I bought. Then try cleaning everything out and maybe lap the seat area.
On the 10 pounder, the heater could be going out or you could have some heavy zinc contamination. Hit it with the torch as well and see if you can get it emptied out into an old pan or something. Scrape out everything that you can and then clean it up as well.
Load them up with some clean WW ingots and try again.