PDA

View Full Version : Pressure rating of H&R 32 long?

Shooter6br
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Just curious What is the max pressure rating of a H&R 32 Long Autoejector pistol? I am using Hogden data so I dont want to "over do it" I never go above max loads liste .i know my SP 101 32 Mag can go uop to 40,000 psi I assume the H&R is maybe 15,000PSI?

GabbyM
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
All I know is what I'm reading in the Lyman 49th in front of me. For 32 S&W Long. I've never heard of an H&R Long. I guess you meant an H&R revolver in 32 S&W ?
Lyman has a few warnings on the top break actions in 32 S&W Long . Say their data is for solid frame and not to be used in weaker top break. So you should assume you'll need some cat sneeze loads. Definately not the max laods listed in Hodgdon manual.

Lyman doesn't list pressures for this cartridge but I can make a guess and say it would be very much lower than the 15K psi you mentioned. I have a bunch of loads in Wiljens software Relaoders Reference. They have a few with pressure noted at between 8100 up to 11,300c. But no mention of top break actions or what loads would be proper. These loads might be found in cast pics? I
'd definitely proceed with caution.

Lyman also warns of ammo mix up with 32 Long Colt and 32 Colt New Police.

I've heard that a proper load for that top break won't penatrate a 55 gallon steel drum.
If that gives you any ideea of what to expect.

GabbyM
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
PS

I just saw i my Hodgdon manual they list pressure for the 32 S&W Long at up to 11,500 CUP with HP-38 laod. Don't know what that would be in PSI. I'd think you'd want to find something down around 8,000 cup. Just speculating.

Multigunner
01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
The .32 H&R Long was a proprietary cartridge, just a hair longer than the .32 S&W Long but otherwise interchangable.
I don't know the exact details of bullet weight and velocity, but the S&W Long can be fired in the H&R revolvers. Some S&W Long chambers might accept the H&R but thats academic since the H&R Long probably doesn't exist outside of cartridge collections.
Only reason I ever heard of it was that a local antique store had an H&R bobbed hammer DA only revolver (I think it was a solid frame pistol with loading gate)marked as such and the proprietor asked if I knew whether the S&W would fit. I think I may have found the info at the library , they always had good reference books on cartridges there in those days.

Shooter6br
01-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I go with what tha data indicates I should have said CUP not psi Sorry Based on muzzle energy the S&W long handloaded is very close to 380 in a compact auto pistol Nothing to write home about but i would not stand in front of it at close range. Just fun to "plink" with

Wayne Smith
01-23-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't know about the .32 Long, but the .32 Short wouldn't penetrate a 55 gal steel drum that had been sitting out as a burn barrel for a lot of years. It was cobwebbed with rust. A .22 Long went through both sides. The .32 Short bounced off.

KCSO
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Use the lowest book loads for that and it will never shoot loose, you want b/p equivalnt pressures of about 16,000 psi or less.