PDA

View Full Version : Elmer's long shots

44man
01-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I have to do this! :mrgreen: I have pulled chains and pulled chains waiting for an answer as to how Elmer knew distances---well, the same way I did.
I waited for the correct answer but you ALL FAILED, Not a single person said it right. :bigsmyl2:
I have been at it for a long time so I will give it up.
If I was shooting archery at unknown distances and hit low on a target, the next shot was on and I could turn around and say that the target is 53 yards based on the sight I used. (Of course I was not allowed to tell the next shooter.)
Knowing what front sight bar or how much barrel it took to walk boolits into a target, based on shooting known distances, would tell me how far a target was based on how I installed the bars when sighting in.
Am I sorry I rattled cages to the point of making a few angry? Not really, it made me giggle a lot as I typed, waiting for someone to step up and say it.
When I first read what Elmer did, I did question it until back in 1956 when I started to shoot his distances and found it was easy to judge after a few shots.
Do I believe Elmer??? Your darn tootin I do.
But it was just too much fun dragging it out, over and over to see if anyone here ever really shot long range as a consistent bunch of fun or if you just did it on occasion.
Now I am going to giggle some more as a bunch of you slap your head and tell yourself "I knew that!"
The correct answer was so easy for you, I spun on my seat when you attributed Elmer's eyes and surveyors so I just kept it up. I would not even tell friends and none could answer.
Don't forgive me, I am still laughing too hard! :Fire::drinks:
I told you long ago I was a nut! Boy did I drag the squirrels out, must be over a year now too. [smilie=l:

August
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Short guys. Always pickin' a fight.

waksupi
01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
44man, that is kind of the thing I was thinking of. I was relating to how do you throw a ball to someone? You know by instinct and practice. We used to shoot revolvers at targets at 900 yards during breaks at long range rifle matches. We did get lucky enough to make it interesting.

Hardcast416taylor
01-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe there are enough of us "stoopid" types that already knew the answer and didn`t feel like bitting at the dead worm on your dangling hook?Robert

HamGunner
01-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Maybe there are enough of us "stoopid" types that already knew the answer and didn`t feel like bitting at the dead worm on your dangling hook?Robert

Yes. And he thinks he is sooo clever. Amazing how many think they are the only one's that know anything. But, do not write off the abilities of those that can come up with a very close guestimation without firing that first spotter round. That's what really takes a lot of practice and skill too.

Reminds me of the kid in the back of the classroom that raises his hand and jumps up and down in his seat because he knows the answer. Teachers's Pet.
Oh heck, give him a gold star.

45 2.1
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Nothing like be forward and direct.............

targetshootr
01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
If I remember corerectly, Elmers 600 yard shots were to a hillside so when the first shots kicked up dirt, the elevation was easier to estimate than if it had been on level land. And of course, he'd been shooting since before he was born.

Frank
01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
But, do not write off the abilities of those that can come up with a very close guestimation without firing that first spotter round. That's what really takes a lot of practice and skill too.

Oh, don't forget, he had really good eyes. Maybe he elevated his cigar to figure the range. :kidding: You guys would fall for anything. He'd be giggling right now if he could hear you.

BruceB
01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Over 6,000 arrogant and "me, me, me" posts to date, and this one takes the cake. HIS way is the ONLY way, and what he says is Holy Writ....just ask him.

I've had it. He now joins the VERY SELECT few who occupy my Ignore List (countable on the fingers of one hand).

Multigunner
01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes. And he thinks he is sooo clever. Amazing how many think they are the only one's that know anything. But, do not write off the abilities of those that can come up with a very close guestimation without firing that first spotter round. That's what really takes a lot of practice and skill too.

Reminds me of the kid in the back of the classroom that raises his hand and jumps up and down in his seat because he knows the answer. Teachers's Pet.
Oh heck, give him a gold star.

Quite right. I've always had a knack for getting elevation right on the first shot, though I've never been able to say exactly what the distance would measure in yards.
I've dropped bullets onto a floating decoy from a mountainside firing a snubnose .38 while holding it at waist height tilted to aprox a 45 degree angle.
I can't explain how, but it seems to work out practically every time.
I've also come very close to a floating drink can at aproximately 200 yards firing a .22 short pengun, also point shooting and letting the pengun buck up in my hand to increase elevation.

I used to throw rocks, knives, hatchets, etc, and was a fair shot with a longbow.
While a better than average shot using sights my point shooting ability is better than most can achieve using the sights.

One trick shot I used to make was to hold a .303 rifle out to my side at shoulder height and arms length , the rifle held sidewise for better control, and nail floating cans at 25 yards. I'd be triangulating to position of the can and letting my hand control the rifle by instinct.

Instinctive shooting was for thousands of years the only form of shooting the bow or any projectile weapon.
Many primitive societies didn't even have units of measurement, much less drop tables.

I also believe that theres such a thing as mind over matter, and that a projectile can be influenced in flight by the power of the mind.
The will of the shooter is an important element regardless, if you don't believe you can make a shot you are highly unlikely to make it no matter what.

What I've written here may be hard to swallow but its fact.

dubber123
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Over 6,000 arrogant and "me, me, me" posts to date, and this one takes the cake. HIS way is the ONLY way, and what he says is Holy Writ....just ask him.

I've had it. He now joins the VERY SELECT few who occupy my Ignore List (countable on the fingers of one hand).

Did you mean over 600 posts? [smilie=1:

anachronism
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Way ahead of you...

44man
01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Yep, squirrels are coming out again.
I FOLLOWED Elmer but most of you just read him.
Now making excuses for not seeing how he did it. :kidding::kidding::kidding::kidding::kidding::kidd ing::kidding:

44man
01-22-2010, 07:40 PM
44Man,
Were you like this back in '56 or did it take time, the last 54 years?:kidding:
I did reply:
".......... He knew how much his front sight covered at certain yardages. So when he looked at a deer across his sights he had a pretty good idea of the distance..."

I'll be more careful in the future to reply in length , the given known, should of known, and self evident :bigsmyl2:
You would not have liked to work with me! :D You would either be watching your back all day or would be laughing so hard you could not work.

Bret4207
01-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Did you mean over 600 posts? [smilie=1:

No, he didn't. 6,710 at last count.

Bret4207
01-22-2010, 08:51 PM

I don't have anyone on my ignore list, but I know what you mean. But after all, he shot 1/2" groups at 50 yards back in the 50's with his open sighted Smith......:takinWiz:

waksupi
01-22-2010, 10:45 PM
You guys are just jealous, that your keyboards won't shoot tight groups!

targetshootr
01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't understand all the animosity myself. I guess ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

Leadforbrains
01-22-2010, 11:17 PM
LOL! Y'all are too funny!

anachronism
01-23-2010, 12:15 AM
I don't understand all the animosity myself. I guess ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

This has been building up for a while.

Frank
01-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by BruceB

Dubber said
Did you mean over 600 posts?
Yeah, Dubber, maybe Bruce meant me.

I don't know that much about Elmer, before my time. I need to read up on Keith. :coffee:

targetshootr
01-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I'll pour some gasoline on the fire since we've got one burning. No one gives[edit]who is on anyone else's ignore list. No one even gives a[edit]./ if anyone else has an ignore list.

Ta-da.

45nut
01-23-2010, 03:04 AM
what the heck guys,, relax,, this thread is 1's and 0's on a computer,, can anyone really give this any credence or weight in the real world?
there is no reason at all to get anyone's feathers ruffled over something that means nothing other than to serve as a bad example for others.
thanks for your future help in serving as something better than "organized" government.