PDA

View Full Version : New 30/06

Bullshop Junior
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I got a new gun yesterday! Real nice one.......

I got a Husqvarna. I think it is a nitro model.

I went out and shot it today. With 18.5gr of steel (That is what my thrower was set at) and the Lyman 150gr luverin, it was shooting about 2" at 100 yards with the Iron sights. I put a Weaver K-4 on it, but did not get a chance to shoot it before I had to go to work.

I think that the luverin boolit is going to work really well. With the bottom of the gas check right at the bottom of the neck (Not below it), it is just starting to engrave the front band.

Sorry no pics.

NVcurmudgeon
01-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Daniel, which action is on your HVA? Early post war used Belgian FN commercial Mauser actions. From about 1953 to 1967 they used a small ring 98 style action made by Husqvarna. After 1967 HVA made actions that were more modern and less original Mauser. I have a J.C. Higgins (Sears) version of the 1953-67 small ring model in .30/06, replacing one I foolishly let go fifty years ago. Complete with Redfield Bear Cub 2 3/4 X scope in Redfield Jr. mount it weighs 7 lb. 4 oz. It is quite accurate and a delight to pack.

dualsport
01-22-2010, 02:04 AM
That sounds familiar. I sold one to help finance an Alaska field trip for my daughter. It had microgroove rifling and a Sako trigger, Bishop stock. Come to think of it, I think it was a Penny's!

Bullshop Junior
01-22-2010, 11:58 PM
This Rifle is SO boring.....

I popped a Weaver K-4 on it yesterday. Today I started shooting it. I started with the Lyman 150gr Lovern with our old style lube (Not near as good as Speed green), over 18.5gr of steel. It shoot about 2" Increased the charge to 19.0gr and it shot about .75". OK, that load is done.

So I got out a box of the Lyman #314299, sized them .312". I looked at my loads for my old Ruger 77 Mk2 and found a load for that boolit loaded over 50.1gr on IMR 7828. I loaded up three and shot them. It shot about 1". done with that load. Can't ask for better then that at full power.

I used to bump the noses on the boolit that I shot in my Ruger, so I made a "Bumping tool" so I can try that.

All in all, it is a very boring Rifle. Tomorrow I am going to (Lord willing) try to work up a good load with our target boolit, and then offer to honcho a Postal match (Maybe) :)

Frank46
01-23-2010, 01:24 AM
My 9.3x57 husky was made in 1927 and has the large ring FN mauser action. Had it dated over on gunboards. Still has a nice bbl. Will glass bed the recoil lug to prevent
getting splits in the wood in back of the tang before I start shooting it. Frank