PDA

View Full Version : Heavier bullet for Mosin

Jack Stanley
01-21-2010, 10:30 PM
I've been fooling with a fat 311291 bullet on my Mosin . Groups have been iffy to OK but nothing to write home about , just hunting accuracy at best .

I had some 314299 bullets already lubed and sized that I wanted to try but I was thinking if the nose on the other bullet was to small then this type wasn't going to be much better with all that snoot sticking out in front . Then , I got to wondering if I could upset the nose a bit just to help it center up in the barrel some .

I put a flat punch in the lubesizer and ran the bullet into the die so just a little was sticking out of the die when the press bottomed . I made a flat that measured about One hundred eighty thousanths across on several bullets and loaded five into cases to try .

Today after work I loaded the ammo into the magazine and went after the hundred yard target . The group was about one third less in size and was rather rounded . In the past the groups were not rounded but just all over . I only had one that slipped out of the group but I felt that as the rifle went off .... I still need to get after cleaning up the trigger a little . I made a few more bullets with the flat increased to about two hundred twenty thousanths and loaded them . They fed out of the magazine just fine hopefully I can test them tomorrow .

Jack

Frank46
01-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Jack you like the lyman 314299 in the moisin. Load some behind 20 grains 4759 and be prepared to see some great shooting. Best darn boolit for these rifles. Frank

RayinNH
01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
The Mosin was my first cast boolit rifle. I tried various .30 cal. moulds that I had on hand. Nothing was very good so I purchased some 314299 from a local gunshop. I used SR4759 to the tune of 19.1 grains (the amount a Lee spoon would throw). I was the first group that could be considered a group occurred. Something between my 19.1 and Frank's 20 grains should give good performance...Ray

Jack Stanley
01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks fellas , that particular powder keeps popping up as a recommendation so I may have to try it later . I'm still nosing around finding a bullet that will fit somewhat snug using the pile of molds I have .

Today after I touched off my test samples I realized that squashing the nose can cause the bullet to be seated deeper than I wanted , so I will shoot that half again . Back at the loading bench I sized down my "J"-bore lead bullet to fit the 91/59 . Since it has a nose near .309 I'm thinking it may help some . I can feel it going into the rifling but it doesn't engrave , just slight marks on it . I'll shoot five rounds and see what happens .

Jack

Frank46
01-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Jack, there is a guy on the gunboards forum his name if marko, he's been selling finnish m39 triggers for sometime. Search in the various moisin nagant forums. i put one in a m44 that had a mystery trigger. Mystery was when will this thing go bang.
Easy installation. Gives a better two stage trigger pull. Frank

Jack Stanley
01-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks Frank , this trigger isn't to bad as long as one does't mind the pull of a double action revolver :shock:Well ..... maybe not that bad , but I supposed some help there would be good for groups .

I tried the LBT LFN's that were meant for my Enfield . I sized them down to .314" or a touch larger . They strung a little virtical but even with that the group was only three inches or so . I'll try it again and see if I can replicate the group .

Jack