PDA

View Full Version : bought couple of old .303's ---

abob
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone

--just picked up these couple of old .303s for not much -- $50.00 for what appears to be a SMLE and $125.00 for a P-14, both were "sporterised". Barrels are both rough, but wanted something to re-barrel and work with as fun time projects. Both actions look good and fairly tight. On the less strong SMLE intend to maybe do a black powder / light smokeless 45-90 or maybe a 38-55. On the P-14 maybe a 416 rigby or 458wm. All thoughts / comments welcome. Not looking to load to the max on either pressure wise, but hoping to get under minute of accuracy if possible with decent barrels. Have to admit never done this before, should be fun. All of my projects in the past have been on the reloading and cast and paper patching side.

First question -- does anyone know of good web site re re-barreling these actions?

Secondly -- Anyone know if barrel threads are the same on all these Enfields? Supplier of good barrels?

Any other tips etc much appreciated.

Thanks again for all replies ... Bob.

docone31
01-21-2010, 10:34 PM
For the #1MKIII, Numerich Arms has drop in barrels, with sights. You only need to headspace on the bolt. They are .303 British though. Not other calibers.
An heavy hitter for the #1MKIII, would be the .303 Epps.
I have no clue for the other.
I had a stuck bullet that rusted in my .303. I got a barrel from Numerich. Dropped right in, and was headspaced already!!! If anything, a little tight. Bore was large so I got into paper patching for it. A tack driver.
Good luck with your projects. I like stuff like that.

Multigunner
01-22-2010, 01:17 AM
I've heard that .45/70 barrels are available for the SMLE action, and could be rechambered to .45/90.

The P-14 probably has the square cut threads same as the M1917.

The SMLE has whitworth rounded V threads.
The No.4 barrels use the same thread as the SMLE but index aprox 180 degrees off from the older action.

You might come out better having the P-14 barrel rebored, cost of reboring is probably no worse than having a blank turned with the square threads.

First I'd look into whether replacement sporter barrels for the P-14 might be available from British sources. the P-14 was the basis for many British sporting rifles.

In fact you may have a British factory made sporter there rather than a rifle thats been sporterized. Read up on the markings and such, it could be worth far more than you paid for it as is.

nicholst55
01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
ER Shaw will make a threaded, short-chambered barrel for your P14 for a very reasonable price.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/about2.asp

I have one of their barrels on my 1903 Springfield sporter in 6.5-06, and it is an excellent shooting rifle.

higgins
01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
If you're interested in loading the original chambering, clean the bores with a good copper solvent and an abrasive like JB compound before you write them off as being in bad condition. I've seen some rough bores that turned out to be in pretty good shape after the cleaning of their lives. I'm talking about bad fouling here; if you've already determined that they're pitted nothing will fix that.

KCSO
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
On rebarreling a M1914/17 Enfield. I don't know why but ewvery one of these buggers I have had to crank off was tighter than billie hell. Using a Wheeler Barrle vise and a proper action wrench I have literally stood on the end of a 3 foot cheater and jumped. I usually just chuckt eh thing in the late and cut the barrel loose. ER Shaw did the last enfield I didn't do in the shop and they did a right nice job too.

abob
01-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys -- still reading up, probably going to be a couple of weeks before I start with pulling the barrels. Even the research and learning I'm finding interesting. Will keep posting as I progress, thanks again, and keep the comments / tips coming!!....Bob.

johnly
01-23-2010, 02:59 AM
How about a 405 Winchester or 9.3x74R in the Enfield?

John

zuke
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
DO NOT RECHAMBER A MK3 TO 303 EPP'S!!!!!!!!!!!! To high a pressure!!!!

lead Foot
01-23-2010, 05:19 PM
The p14 has an interesting stamp on top. The two guns have differant thread's and yes the barrels are very hard to remove. I had to cut the old barrel to releave the presure on the P14 I had.
Lead foot;

smlekid
01-24-2010, 04:01 PM
the stamp looks like a commercial BSA trade mark

Dakoma
01-27-2010, 02:23 AM
Go here and look around and see if there is something you would want. www.35caliber.com This guy will bore one out and rerifle it also.[smilie=s:

Lead Fred
01-27-2010, 02:30 AM
If I find me one, think Ill do the 45-70 conversion to it.

Multigunner
01-27-2010, 04:32 AM
If SMLEKid is correct a BSA sporting rifle built on a P14 action may be worth far more as a collectors item than you'd want to sacrifice for your project.

I'd find out its true value first, it might be worth several times what you'd pay for a good P14 action and the rest of the hardware you'll need for your project.
It could come out with you making a profit and having your rifles finished as well.

abob
02-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Looks like the 416 Taylor is going to be my first choice for the P-14. Several reasons, as its relatively easy to form brass from .458 WM brass -- which I already have lots of. Lee makes dies listed on their web site. It is a shorter case than the .416 Rigby or Rem. Mag. -- less problems feeding. It should still be easy for paper patching large bore. It certainly is powerful and fairly flat shooting. Any one here have a rifle in this caliber or are familiar with it?

Just a further update I cleaned both of my project guns existing barrels, neither looks that bad, so I picked up a box of Federal .303 to shoot off at the range. If the SMLE shoots not to bad I'll keep her as is for some time before maybe selling to a collector. Already looked at another SMLE, not one of the * ones though, and they want a few more dollars more for it. :(

I've never had anything to do with a .416 Taylor before--- or any .416 Whatever. I am a big bore fan and this is something different to what I have already. Also noted ER Shaw lists the 416 Taylor in their available calibers, including in stainless steel. Although there is a fairly good bullet selection out there for .416, cast - paper patch is probably what I will go with mostly.
As always all comments welcome, hope to hear others opinions --- Bob.

smlekid
02-01-2010, 05:55 AM
could you post a closeup picture of the BSA stamp on the P14 if it is a commercial sporter you could probably sell it and get yourself a brand new rifle

abob
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
smlekid ---Here are pics of the P14 --- thanks for reply.

abob
02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
smlekid --- there are a few other marks on it, here is one pic of the sight -- has the three crossed rifles, with BSA in fine print underneath. I thought it was pointed out these sporterized are not worth anything as they were modified.... the SMLE is more original, except for the stock mod.---Bob.

smlekid
02-01-2010, 04:58 PM
the difference might be that this is a factory sporting rifle as opposed to a cut up military rifle
I dare say there are collecters out there looking for these rifles below is a couple of links from a quick search some good reading in it
I would think by the time you sourced your parts to rebarrel the rifle it might be more econical to buy a new factory rifle? at least in Australia it would be for sure
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?38118-P-14-Bsa-Sporter
http://thehunterslife.com/forums//showthread.php?t=783
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2699341/page/1

herbert buckland
02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
could you post a full lenth photo of the BSA P14 conversion,if it is all there you will have no trouble trading it for a newer rifle,there are colectors that specilise in BSA made stuff, a freind of mine has got the deasise so bad his shed is overflowing with BSA bikes and safes are full of BSA rifles

Multigunner
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Quite a few of the P14 rifles had degenerated in storage after WW1 and many were sold off as parts or heavily modified for sale to foreign governments.
There aren't a lot of the original P14 rifles left as issued.

A prime example of a P14 actioned BSA sporting rifle is not a common run of the mill Remchester or bubba'ed rifle, its in the same class as a Griffin and Howe Springfield or an NRA Springfield, a classic hunting rifle built on a surplus military action.

abob
02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Couple of days ago took the P-14 to the range to fire it before I take the barrel off. Certainly not a good bore as per the 6 inch group at 100 yds. -- appears lots of pitting has wrecked this bbl. This evening finally got around to trying to remove the barrel with my homemade bbl. vise and action wrench. For three days soaked the bbl / action joint with 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Lots of reading had me braced for a fight to get it off --- but the solvent mix seems to have done it's job and it released very easy. I did not have to relief cut it, Some pics attached.

My bbl vise and action wrench I think I made with some overkill, but hey they worked! Just used odds and ends from around home. On the action wrench I milled clearance for the recoil lug as per recommendation to keep the force at the action receiver ring to help avoid twisting anything. I"ve ordered the replacement bbl for the P14 -- went with the 416 Taylor, now the painful slow wait for it to get here.

Noted that both lugs are bearing equally as per looking at their seating wear marks... that should be good....

Like to once again thank all of you for tips/comments to tackle this 1st time for me project...

Bob. :)

abob
02-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Just more pics ---
Bob

abob
02-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Another pic ---

Bob

abob
02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
The action removed --- looks and feels good, no cracks visible. To those that think I should have not pulled this old rifle apart, really the action was the only part worth saving. If someone wants the old bbl and wants to pay the shipping, you may have it.

I've already found another P14 for sale and it overall is in better shape -- still thinking about purchasing it.

Bob.

45nut
02-22-2010, 06:41 PM
could you post a closeup picture of the BSA stamp on the P14 if it is a commercial sporter you could probably sell it and get yourself a brand new rifle

Sacrilegious! Blasphemy! Heretic!
seriously,, I am quite envious. [smilie=p: :cbpour:

PAT303
02-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Bob,a 9.3x62 barrel with a classic style stock would go really nice on that action. Pat

atr
02-22-2010, 11:06 PM
BOB,,,just for you info.....30-06 P14 made by Remington are selling here for around $300.00