PDA

View Full Version : Crimp die

Beekeeper
01-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Well I am in need of some of the vast and superior technical Knowledge of the membership.
WOW lot of smoke!!
I am trying to load some 43 mauser rounds.
Made up a couple of dummy rounds to try in the rifle and found I need to crimp them to get them to work in the magazine without pushing the boolit all the way into the case.

Problem?
I have not been able to find a crimp die for the 43 mauser. Boolits are .446-.449.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Jim

1874Sharps
01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Jim,

Are you loading with smokeless, I assume (with a full case of BP the boolit would not push into the case? Are you sizing your necks? It seems with proper neck sizing there would be sufficient bullet pull to keep the boolit seated where it was placed. Am I missing something?

Beekeeper
01-21-2010, 10:32 PM
The shells I made up are dummy loads to use to check the feeding of the tublar magazine and to get the best boolit protrusion , ie : seat it as close to the lands as possible and still feed from the magazine.
No powder or primer
I resized the brass and seated the boolit to the recommender depth and was trying it in the magazine and the magazine follower would push the boolit into the case.( not good)
When I load for real it will be smokeless as black is almost non existant here and when I can find it they want $30.00 an pound so I will pass until I can find it cheaper.

Jim

NVcurmudgeon
01-21-2010, 10:44 PM
From what you posted, is there any chance that you simply don't have the seating die close enough to or touching the shellholder? With common seater/crimper dies I first make sure that the die does NOT touch the shellholder, then gradually adjust the seating screw until I get the depth I want. Then I back out the seating screw so that the bullet won't get pushed any deeper, and lower the die in the press by small steps until I get the amount of crimp needed. Last, with the crimped round in the shellholder, and with the round in the crimping postition, lower the seating screw until it touches the bullet. Subsequent rounds can be crimped and seated in one step. This procedure is for bullets with crimping grooves only. If your bullet has no crimping groove, seating and crimping must be done in two separate operations. If by any chance you already know all this, my apologies.

HORNET
01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Is your case neck long enough to let you crimp using a .45 ACP die with the seating plug removed and the die backed WAY out? You could make a stop spacer to get consistent if it works. I'll agree that proper neck tension should help but that doesn't always work with leverguns either. Maybe squeeze the necks down a little further with a .44 Mag/Spl seating die first?