PDA

View Full Version : .380 seating depth question

wallenba
01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I bought some commercially made 95 grain .380 RN from Missouri Bullet Co. and began setting up my dies. I noticed that Lyman published load data for their 90 grain RN (#2 alloy, these are 18 bhn so density is similar). They give an O.A.L. of
.980 for their lighter bullet, but these seated near the top of the top driving band are .949 O.A.L. . I am concerned that the case volume might be too small , since a little is a lot in small cartridges. I was going to start at the bottom end of the lyman data for the 90, but now I am wondering what is safe or not safe. Anybody out there loaded these?

curator
01-21-2010, 09:45 PM
If you are on the "start at" end of the load spectrum you should be OK. I load a similar bullet at .975 with a taper crimp using 4.3 grains of Unique. I have used this same load/bullet combination also at .950 without problems. They do eject several feet farther however.

TAWILDCATT
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
the picture shows the way I load them. us common sense.if you put them out more what are you going to hold,if in you would crimp on nothing.