PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks for a song...

Dale53
01-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I was "making a run" just running past the local shops. One small shop where I have often purchased guns for a good price had a single, sealed box of Hornady Gas Checks in Caliber .45. Unfortunately, they only had the one box and no .44's (which I could also use). I took them home for $15.00...

That's the best price I have seen ANYWHERE. They were obviously "New, old stock". The box looked like they were made yesterday.

I sure wished they had had some more and in other calibers, but I was MORE than happy to get this one. My .454's will LOVE these.

Just pays to look around when you are in a gun shop. You never know WHAT you are going to find.

Dale53

HamGunner
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I found a box of Ideal 6.5mm like that, but they had adjusted the price up a bit from the original price. I would imagine that they originally sold for about $2-$3 a thousand.

This box certainly had a bit of dust and shelf wear and no bar code to go by.

opentop
01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Dale,

Same thing happened to me down at a fields with primers. Thet had two thousand LR primers for $26.00 per 1000.

The guy twisted my arm to buy both boxes.

ktw
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Just pays to look around when you are in a gun shop. You never know WHAT you are going to find.

I'm that guy that walks past the gun racks and starts digging through the old Lyman/RCBS/Marbles/etc "parts" boxes if they are within reach. I make a point of asking if I can browse through them if they are not.

I also like to look behind stock on the shelves. Never know what got lost back there without a price update for years. Sometimes it's an out of production Lyman mold. Other times it's been new/old stock gas checks in a size that I can use. Once it was a very cheap brick of small rifle primers.

The little independent gun shops in out of the way places who have been around forever, with owners who aren't terribly organized, are the best. The conversation is usually a cut above and the pickings can be rich. I make a point of buying something, whether I need it or not, based on the quality of the recreational experience.

-ktw

Shiloh
01-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Got some at a gun show. $5 for around 600 checks. Nasty looking. A trip in a bowl with muriatic acid cleaned them right up.

SHiloh

Shiloh
01-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Got some at a gun show. $5 for around 600 checks. Nasty looking. A trip in a bowl with muriatic acid cleaned them right up.

SHiloh

Hardcast416taylor
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
And I`m just willing to bet that all of you lucky guys giggled all the way home?robert

357maximum
01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
About 4 months ago I bought 1K of hornady .22 checks in a sunbleached cardboard box complete with metal corners................$12.50.

I had walked/looked right by them for years and a recent cleaning of the yellowed glass case revealed them.