PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Marlin found info needed

TaylorTN
01-21-2010, 06:31 PM
So I did not get much from teh search feature.

I found a 1894 Marlin Carbine in 357, micro-groove, pre-safety.

I am interested in it's age and a ballpark price as well as general impressions.

I cast a lot for 38/357 so this would be great to have.

Info appreciated, TM

Slow Elk 45/70
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Try Google, Marlin Owners , they have lot of info there on Marlins and you can get answers ther or find out how to best answer your questions....good luck

Yance
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
So I did not get much from teh search feature.

I found a 1894 Marlin Carbine in 357, micro-groove, pre-safety.

I am interested in it's age and a ballpark price as well as general impressions.

I cast a lot for 38/357 so this would be great to have.

Info appreciated, TM

What's the serial #? XXX in place of the last 3 digits.

I only saw one at the Asheville show last weekend...priced $625 IIRC. I doubt I'd take that for mine.:grin:

Micro Groove barrels WILL shoot cast, just has to be fat. I have the 180 gr LBT style group buy Lee sized .360 and loaded over Li'l Gun. Works great!

Hopefully you are already in possession of this nifty little carbine. If you just happened to look at it in a shop rack it's probably not there now.:cry:

TaylorTN
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
thanks for teh info, I forgot about the marlin Owner's group.

I did not buy it but am looking for trading fodder. I think it will be a good starter rifle for my 16 month-old some day..............

It is at an out of the way pawn shop that had it in hock since June of last year.

BCB
01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Mine shoots the 358429 really well, but it is too long to cycle if it is crimped in the crimping groove.

To crimp in the criming groove and still get it to cycle, I have trimmed the 357 Magnum case a bit shorter than speciifications say. That way I can crimp into the crimping groove and the cartridge O.C.L. will cycle...

It is a good shooter with SR-4759...

Good-luck...BCB

01-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Handy little guns. I don't find many good deals at guns shows but 2 years ago I found one, exactly as you describe, in as-new condition. $265 later walked out the door with it. They tend to be a little sensitive to bullet nose shape and OAL for smoothest/jam free feeding. The MG bore is a little more sensitive to best bullet for accuracy... but they can be made to shoot well. I added a receiver peep, put a little taller front sight on and it's a 50 yard super fun gun to shoot. The MG bores have alway shot Jbullets well... the cast may require a little more work.

The best thing about the Micro Grooves I've found is that they clean up easily and foul very little. Seems counter-intuitive but it's what I've noticed.