PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this Babbit stuff???

cricco
01-21-2010, 05:00 PM
So, I was talking to my local ww source, and he told me that his former employer uses lead to "put saw blades in" whatever that means. He told me that if I'm interested, he thinks the stuff is actually called "babbit" and that he can get me "Tons" of it. We didn't talk prices, but he sounded like it was dirt cheap if not free. What is this stuff? Should I buy it? Can I use it for casting boolits? How much should I offer him for this babbit? Thanks guys. I don't want to come home with a truck load of junk lead.

jbunny
01-21-2010, 05:09 PM
i'm not trying to be a smart ass, but google is ur friend.
basicly babbit comes as lead base or lead free. the lead free
is mostly tin and lots more expensive. that where the jbunny
spring punch lead hardness tester comes in to play. when looking at this
stuff, in 2 seconds after a poke and u know. i know, it's not polite
to blow ur own horn. hehehe
jb

Storydude
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Buy/snag all you can. Babbit has a high tin content. Depending on the type, up to 90%.

JSnover
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Hit the RotoMetals link at the top of the page and click on Babbit Bearing Metals. You'll get a quick reference of what they're made of plus current prices for new babbit. The lead-based ones are $3-4/lb, tin-based babbits are selling for over $13/lb. Find out what kind your pal has before you fix a price. It's all good but you need to know what's in it before you add it to your lead.

waco
01-22-2010, 08:50 PM
thats good info
a few months ago, my buddy gave me a coffee can full of "saw blade" babbit
i was also not sure of its content

cricco
01-22-2010, 11:31 PM
thats good info
a few months ago, my buddy gave me a coffee can full of "saw blade" babbit
i was also not sure of its content

Sounds like the same stuff. Do you know what was in it?

StarMetal
01-22-2010, 11:46 PM
There are sawblade guides (also used for vibration control) that are Babbitt pads. They run very close to the blade. Usually they want a hard Babbitt on these pads so they don't wear fast. I don't know what type Babbitt is used.

Joe

cricco
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
There are sawblade guides (also used for vibration control) that are Babbitt pads. They run very close to the blade. Usually they want a hard Babbitt on these pads so they don't wear fast. I don't know what type Babbitt is used.

Joe

This is exactly the stuff I found. Does anyone know what the alloy makeup of this is?

evan price
01-26-2010, 05:00 AM
High speed babbitt = lots of tin, I bought some off of eBay that the guy didn't know what he had, for $.50 a pound shipped, and it was 90% tin high-speed babbitt.