PDA

View Full Version : New 1911 sights?

BD
01-21-2010, 02:44 PM
The sight blade in my MMC rear sight on my games gun is coming apart for the second time. I guess I'm in the market for something different at this point. Pistol is a Kimber Custom classic that originally came with fixed sights. I've got a fiber optic front which I like alot. Anyone found something in a rear sight that's working better for older eyes? A 1911 ghost ring would be nice.
BD

Pepe Ray
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
O.M.G. Bill!!!!!!!
Not you too!!!!

Really? GHOST RING ? on a pistol?
Coop would spin like a top.

How does this "Ghost" disappear at arms length?

Oh, I get it now, You're joking, --Right?
OF course, I apologize for the error.
Pepe Ray

Mk42gunner
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't know if they are still available or not, but I have always liked the King's Hardball sights. Big, easy to see, and they don't move.

Robert

Dale53
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I am, no doubt, going to be considered a heretic. However, if you are like me suffering from aged eyes, mount a Red Dot sight on your 1911. It truly solves the sight problem.

I have gone to Red Dot's on most of my revolvers and pistols and couldn't be happier. I have not only stalled the "slide to obscurity" with my scores but have completely reversed the trend. I am shooting better than I have for years.

Try it, you'll like it! I guarantee!!

Dale53

BD
01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
I've thought about it Dale, and may do it at some point. But for now the 1911s are still SD oriented pistols and the only competition within 100 miles is IDPA, (CDP class for me), and the dots don't qualify. I was looking through the brownells catalog this evening and saw a couple of "half" ghost ring sights. I guess that would work as long as the top of the rear sight still regulated to the top of the front sight. Maybe I should try one, and use the wreck of the MMC to experiment with short bits of tube?
I know that I'm still able to stay in the game with the apeture on my DCM AR, and a ghost ring on the shotty works. Maybe the rear sight on the pistol is just too far from the eye for a ring type sight to be effective.
BD

AlaskaMike
01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I like the Novaks personally. Maybe just any set of good tritium sights since the application is a self defense gun? What I mean by that is that you won't be engaging anything at 100 yards with it--it'll be inside of 20 feet most likely, and events will be moving quickly.

Mike