PDA

View Full Version : S&W Sigma

BoolitBill
01-21-2010, 01:06 AM
My nephew just bought a S&W Sigma in .40 cal. I would like to reload some cast bullets for him, but I have a few questions first.

1. I have heard the Sigma referred to as a Glock clone, does it have polygonal rifling like the Glock?

2. Assuming it can be reloaded with cast, which boolit do you all recommend, and why?

3. I won't be able to slug the bore so what size should I size the boolits?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Houndog
01-21-2010, 04:46 AM
The Sigma is a close enough copy of the Glock that S&W got sued for patent infringement by Glock! It has conventional rifleing so you don't need to buy another barrell for cast. Mine is 9mm so I can't help with the 40 cal loads. I've got the first generation Sigma and it's been absolutely trouble free and it's been shot a bunch! I don't own safe queens.

BTW: the triggers in unaltered condition absolutely suck! The fix is posted on the S&W site and the factory repair center in Texas was doing trigger jobs on them under warranty. I don't know for sure if that's still the case.

AKsoldier
01-21-2010, 09:07 AM
I bought a S&W Sigma 9mm back when they first came out. They were so close in design to the Glock, that a friend's Glock 9mm slide and barrel assembly fit on my Sigma frame and cycled! (I was curious) Naturally I didn't try to fire it, but the dummy round I had in the mag cycled into the glock chamber on my Sigma and locked up ready to fire.

I had a lot of problems with that Sigma though and eventually traded it to a gun shop for a rifle. I can't help you with the casting questions either - just thought it was amazing how close the design was to Glock. It's no wonder they got sued!

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2010, 10:13 AM
the one I had was a *** i kept it about 6 months and dumped it. If its a copy of a glock they sure cheapened up on something.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh I like mine well enough and it runs 147 grain 9mm flawlessly. But that DANGED ! trigger pull. Good thing its really point & pull. BvT

Johnch
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I have a 40 cal Sigma that I have had for a number of years and like it

My nephew just bought a S&W Sigma in .40 cal. I would like to reload some cast bullets for him, but I have a few questions first.

1. I have heard the Sigma referred to as a Glock clone, does it have polygonal rifling like the Glock?
Nope
2. Assuming it can be reloaded with cast, which boolit do you all recommend, and why?
I use the 175 gr Lee standard lube bullet
3. I won't be able to slug the bore so what size should I size the boolits?
My bore is .401
But I my mould only drops a .4015 bullet
So I size to .401
But I use a alloy that is softer than WW
But the groups are as good as my eyes allow the gun to shoot
Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hope this info helps

John

BoolitBill
01-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. And johnch, thank you! I was considering the Lee 175 standard lube boolit myself. Now I had better order the mold and get busy.

9.3X62AL
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm a big fan of the Lee 175 TC conventional-lube boolit also. It has shot VERY well in three 40 S&W caliber pistols of mine. 40 S&W throats and grooves don't seem to have the dimensional poetry that their older cousins the 9mm have in wide profusion and variance. The 40 S&W barrels I've slugged (my own and several others) all run between .400" and .401". I would give .401" a try--it should do well, all of mine run well at that diameter.

S&W autopistol barrels are generally pretty lead-friendly in my experience.

anachronism
01-21-2010, 11:25 PM
the one I had was a *** i kept it about 6 months and dumped it. If its a copy of a glock they sure cheapened up on something.

I had one of the first 40s made. I was so proud, I had the latest S&W, in the latest caliber. It would misfire about 1 shot per magazine, it fed okay, but accuracy was dismal. I traded it in for a Beretta in 40 about a month before the bottom fell out on the Sigma. Police Depts traded them back in, & there was talk of a class action suit against S&W because they were so unreliable. They started out as a premium pistol, but average retail after the first year was about $200.00, when you could get someone to take one.

That was the last time I felt I had to be the guy with the latest toys on the block. Let soemone else take the chance. S&W later announced a "value edition" of the Stigma, which sold at half it's original price. They were supposed to be better, but once bitten...

mooman76
01-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I bought one a few years ago and as the saying goes. You get what you pay for. I won't go as far as to say it is a *** but it has some to be desired. I started using the Lee 175gr TL SWC bullet. I had a few jams but started water dropping bullets and it went away. After awhile I switched back to regular air cooled bullets on accident but still didn't have any more jams so maybe it was because it was new. I since bought the TC bullet mould but haven't used it much. It shoots so-so in fact I had a Glock also and it shot the same so I got rid of the glock not wanting two of the some what same gun. I emailed S&W some time ago on the trigger and they said they would not do anything for it except bring it back to specs but like I said that was some time ago. I did lube it some with a good lube and it did help some. Wolf makes lighter replacement springs for it but I have not tried them to see if they help.