PDA

View Full Version : Leading in New Chamber

R.M.
06-03-2006, 02:54 AM
I've just had a machinist friend of mine make a new barrel for my Walther GSP .32 S&W Long. I'm after a faster twist rate than the original. We got a .303 barrel and fabed it up. The chamber reamer we got was about .005" larger than the original barrel, so we got a straight chucking reamer of the appropriate size. He turned on the lathe a 1.5 degree lead past the straight chamber.
After about 50 shots, I'm getting leading smeared on the lead, smeared on the chamber wall, and a build-up of lead on the transition wall from the chamber to the lead. The chamber diameter is actually a couple of thou smaller than factory, but the gun functions perfectly. I've fired about 200 rounds through it without a hiccup, just the leading.
Is this something that might go away with use, or should we be looking at our chamber profile?
Any ideas???????

NucEm
06-22-2006, 01:47 PM
The dimensions of the barrel versus the dia of the bullet? Give us some numbers, how is the bullet dia? When i was involved in competition i reloaded and shooted at least 5000 32 cartridges on a yearly basis,first years in a Walther and then in the Sako Triace gun.
Never had a problem with leading, soft HB WC bullets was used in the 750 fps range.
The dia of my bullets both factory and those i cast for those guns is .313 for the GSP and .310 for the Sako.
Soft is the name of the game if the dia is ok. To hard a bullet and it wont expand to fill the chamber/barrel of your gun, leading is the product of it. If you cast your own try to use as soft bullet lube as possible, we dealing with low power here, in my cartridges i use 1.4 grains of VV 310 with a 98 grains HB WC bullet for a vo off 745 fps.
By the way, the 32 SW Long Wad Cutter catridge shoots bullets for barrels with a twist of 1-18, does your barrel (from .303) havethe common twist of 1-10" ? Why do you feel the need fo a faster twist than the original?

Buckshot
06-23-2006, 02:17 AM
...........NucEM is way ahead of me for anything material I might add other then to try a hundred or so jacketed slugs through it to see if that helps any.

.................Buckshot