PDA

View Full Version : Media life and/or maintenance question?

Daryl
01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I used some Dillon corn cob media with little flitz added. First couple batches of brass came out beautiful. Nice, shiny, clean.

That was maybe 4 or 5 loads.

Then they started coming out clean, but satin finish - the high gloss shine was gone.

Now the media is very dirty and blackened.

How many "loads" should I expect? Do you clean or rejuvenate it in some way? Just toss it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

sdelam
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I dont mind the satin look as long as its clean. I'll use mine for months, 2-3 times a week. the brass isnt full satin but it's not brand new looking either. Try putting a used dryer sheet in with the next batch, it helps.

edit: Forgot to add that I use lizzard litter (walnut) and not corn cob.

01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Daryl,

Add more Flitz.

acoilfld
01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Toss in a torn up dryer sheet or two (torn into quarters) with your next load, let it run for a couple of hours. It takes out a lot of the Black. Do this a few times and your media will look almost new. I do it all the time and have been using the same media for 1 1/2 yrs. Probably 15 thousand rounds through the media. Every now and then I tear up some paper towel to put in my media with a table spoon of mineral spirits - run for a couple of hours with some brass - remove the paper towel and add new paper towel - run again,
Works really good :smile:

AC

mike in co
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
consider a auto car polish as its cheaper and works as well.
add some each load.
the satin finish is(i believe) loose dirt in ther mix. the adding of polish each load, keeps the dirt absorbed into the corn( i believe). when the bowl gets a ring of dirt full around at some level......dirty media or not enough polish.

i propably put somewhere between 100,000 -200,000 case per load before replacing....about one months use.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

TAWILDCATT
01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I got tired of the red polish in the lyman media.put the media in container with soap and water.drained and flushed. let dry and started using again.:coffee:

Marlin Hunter
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
I got tired of the red polish in the lyman media.put the media in container with soap and water.drained and flushed. let dry and started using again.:coffee:

I have done that several times with my media. I pour it in a pillow case, then soak it in 5 gallon bucket of soap water. I flush it several times till no soap bubbles can be seen in the water. Hang up the bag to dry for a few days to dry (in the summer). One thing nice is that the water expands the media and you have more than when you started.

yondering
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
I used some Dillon corn cob media with little flitz added.

Now the media is very dirty and blackened.

It's black because you used Flitz. Flitz is a good polish, but it does turn black. Put some on a rag and rub a piece of brass with it, you'll see the stuff on the rag turn black.

Try using the Dillon case polish instead. It doesn't turn black, and keeps working for a long time. I have a batch of corncob media I've been using for almost 8 years now. I add more Dillon polish to it occasionally, but otherwise it works fine. Some dust does build up in it after a while.

felix
01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
What are the components of Flitz polish? Any acid products like oxalic acid? Perhaps another? These tend to react with oxides on purpose. ... felix

Daryl
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
This is excellent help. I will be using bits and pieces of most of these ideas.

I like the idea of using auto polish. Can it be any inexpensive liquid polish? Is there stuff to avoid? Do I understand that anything with ammonia will weaken the brass? If so (or some other chemical), what products do you avoid?

Thanks again.

yondering
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Most automotive "polish" compounds that you find at the auto parts store are really just a wax, with a little polish in it. If you want actual polish, you need to go somewhere that sells automotive paint.

Why not just use the Dillon stuff? It's made for your specific need, and isn't that expensive. I've been using the same bottle for over 6 years.

sdelam
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I use Nu finish with good results. About a cap ful every other time seems to work well.

mike in co
01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
most automotive "polish" compounds that you find at the auto parts store are really just a wax, with a little polish in it. If you want actual polish, you need to go somewhere that sells automotive paint.

Why not just use the dillon stuff? It's made for your specific need, and isn't that expensive. I've been using the same bottle for over 6 years.

try some nu finish car polish and you'll never go back to "brass" polish......

Bob J
01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Another vote for Nu finish..... I cut mine 50/50 with mineral spirits and let run a while to distribute well in the media before adding brass.... Brass comes out looking great!

Daryl
01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks so far to everyone. You guys are geniuses!!

I put some mineral spirits on small (4" x 6" or so) rag pieces and ran it in the media. It took a bunch of junk out of it. So much that the rags were stiff and caked with it.

Then I put fresh ones in with a load of brass and used some "Wet" car polish that I had and it all worked very well. The rags were good and black and dirty but not all caked up. And the media was not nearly as nasty looking.

So, I'm going to try the NuFinish also. I'd get the Dillon stuff, but to place a small order the freight kills ya.

Ferdinand
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've no idea how old my media is, or how many loads of brass have been through it. I use Dillon's polishing stuff, that I bought 10+ years ago. I think that it might be time to retire this media, but it seems to still do OK.

I was wondering why I had to finish up cases with a rag...

jcwit
01-23-2010, 10:54 PM
If you want actual polish, you need to go somewhere that sells automotive paint.

If you want just polish any WalMart carries tins of rubbing and polishing compound. No need to go to a auto paint supply outlet.

Nice thing about auto liquid wax/polishes is they add a layer of wax or poly polish that stops tarnish. If you're like me you probably have 2 or 3 bottles partially used wax in the garage.