PDA

View Full Version : Lyman rebuild kit threads

old turtle
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I recently acquired two old Lyman molds numbers 323471 and 31947 both of which have not been made for a long time. I had two mold rebuild kits from Lyman and since i prefer to use the thicker spruce plate and the spring plate washer as well as the allen screw, I started to replace these items. It appears that these old molds have a finer thread on the spruce plate screw and the lock screw. Also the screws for the handle were shorter but the same thread so this was no problem. Has any one had this problem and what can be done? The lock screws are messed up to some degree.

RayinNH
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Take them to the hardware store and try and match the thread pattern. If you can't just re-thread the holes to match the screw you got in the rebuild kit...Ray

montana_charlie
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
prefer to use the thicker spruce plate and the spring plate washer as well as the allen screw,
Silly me!
I always thought that, with a spruce plate, you should use a wood screw...or a nail.
CM

old turtle
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Ok! so I can not spell. I meant sprue plate. Your are right as I use wood screws to keep my head on.

I have checked the threads on it appears that the new Lyman kits and molds use 10-24 screws and the old molds have 10-32 threads. Re-tapping them is not an option. I may be able to get a 10-32 set screw. I wish Lyman would provide screws for the old molds. Wish in one hand....................................

shooterg
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Try Erik@hollowpointmold.com ( EKO on forum). He sent me screws very reasonable when Lyman insisted on only selling a complete rebuild kit. Sprue plate screw on a 457125 broke with less than 50 casts and Lyman wouldn't send screw only. Haven't bought any Lyman products since.

JSnover
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
A 10-32 screw should not be hard to find. A good hardware store might carry them. If not, try McMaster-Carr, Brownell's, etc.

billyb
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I found screws for my older lyman molds at the local ace. Bill

Catshooter
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
The thread pitch for the sprue plate screw is 10 x 36, not 32. Lyman/Ideal used the 36 pitch alot in the early days, their Number 1 Lubrisizer is covered with them.

If you want to restore those two old moulds to their former glory, I would go here:http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=Special+Thread+Tap s:618,1170,1171

They sell the proper tap and dies for that old pitch. I would get both a tap and a die. Use the tap to restore the threads in the mould blocks.

I would then use the 10 x 36 die to re-cut the threads on the screw. Now I haven't tried to re-cut the threads on one of their screws, so I can't tell you if it'll work, but it probably will, there isn't that much size difference between 32 and 36 threads.

The set screw that locks the sprue plate screw is a 10-32, and those you'll find easily. The 36 pitch you won't find locally, unless you're incredibly lucky.

Hope this helps.

Cat

MtGun44
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Recutting that close a pitch will just wipe the threads off.

Going to need to get a too long screw with a full diam unthreaded portion,
cut it off and thread it. Or find a friend with a lathe to make one from scratch,
not very hard to do.

Bill

Guesser
01-21-2010, 11:18 AM
When doing all this screw rethreading; keep in mind that a good cross thread is better than loktite, any day!!!!!!!!

JSnover
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Yep! Make sure you ask for a cross thread screw tap and die, they're a special order[smilie=l:

Seriously, the first thing I would do is find out what thread really is. 10-36 might not be an Ace Hardware stocked item.

dragonrider
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM
If there is an Industrial Supply company that sells to the public in your area they will have what you need.