PDA

View Full Version : Brass Framed underhammer pics

357maximum
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
My new 1.125 in brass underhammer frame by John Taylor. Old new stock H&A (numerich) parts. Just sat my .50RB barrel into it for demo purposes. This one is going to get a 54 or 58 GM RB barrel and some heavy streaked black walnut and alot of brass fittings. Still torn on the 54 V.S 58 Roundball barrel though. I want to build this up for loooong range playings and as yet undecided on cal. Not sure whether I want "PUNCH" or "TAJECTORY".....decisions.[smilie=b:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/tayloruh001.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/tayloruh002.jpg

northmn
01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
I have shot both 54 and 58. A 54 does not really have a flatter trajectoey you just have to load the 58 a little hotter than most like. You can also watch the lead pot and powder supply drop a lot faster with a 58. The 58 has better retained downrange velocity that kind of counters a slower MV. Interesting action and pretty simple isn't it.

Northmn

357maximum
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
. Interesting action and pretty simple isn't it.

Northmn

Simple things seem to work better for me. :killingpc does that make me simple?

rhbrink
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Nothing wrong with simple, seems the older I get the more I like simple. Great looking action I would vote for the 58 slow twist, not like either one is a plinking rifle.

Boz330
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
What do you mean by long range? A slug would be better for trajectory and will carry more punch as well.
A buddy borrowed a 54 REAL from me for an elk hunting load from his RB gun. He actually patched the back of the boolit and was getting near 1800fps from it and I forget what the ME was but the cow elk he shot with it went down like she was pole axed and the boolit went clean through. That combination was not as accurate as the RB load but well with in hunting applications with a bunch of down range energy. BTW he didn't get that accuracy until he patched the back end of the REAL. It was more like a fabric GC, didn't come all the way up the sides.
I have a 58 so I'm kinda partial to it but it is powder and lead hungry and in that light under hammer might be a little too much of a good thing.

Bob

buckweet
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
ahhh . .357max,

i just ordered a .58. so there. get the .58

beautifull frame, cannot wait for mine to get here.

357maximum
01-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I have been weighing the thoughts here and doing a ton of reading. I will go 58 cal. I do not want a slug gun, I want a big ol Roundballer. I have the 58 mold already so 58 it is. I will carry the stock bolt almost to the buttpad to keep some weight in the rear and add a bit of weight if I have to so I can balance it out. The scientific community might just bring back the mastadon at some point...you just never know.:bigsmyl2:

I have alot of 2F that needs a place to be burned as my .45 and .50's seem to prefer 3F so I will burn it in the 58 banging on steel plates and making venison. I can shoot 420 yards in my backyard at my plates...should be some interesting "hangtimes" between boom and bong.

This toy will get either a 3leaf express, ladder, or adjustable peep sight installed so I can be as accurate as possible for long range playing. Now I just need to find an engraver to scratch some cavedrawings on my receiver. :bigsmyl2:

Boz330
01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
420yd, if you put a stock on there that you can maintain a cheek weld with it will also double as a canoe paddle.:shock: On the other hand maybe put the butt on the ground, tilt the barrel 20* forward of vertical and pretend it is a mortar.:kidding:
Really ought to be a fun gun, and you can adjust the charge to suit. It is plenty of medicine for anything this side of the Mississippi for sure, especially steel gongs.

Bob

buckweet
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
I have been weighing the thoughts here and doing a ton of reading. I will go 58 cal. I do not want a slug gun, I want a big ol Roundballer. I have the 58 mold already so 58 it is. I will carry the stock bolt almost to the buttpad to keep some weight in the rear and add a bit of weight if I have to so I can balance it out. The scientific community might just bring back the mastadon at some point...you just never know.:bigsmyl2:

I have alot of 2F that needs a place to be burned as my .45 and .50's seem to prefer 3F so I will burn it in the 58 banging on steel plates and making venison. I can shoot 420 yards in my backyard at my plates...should be some interesting "hangtimes" between boom and bong.

This toy will get either a 3leaf express, ladder, or adjustable peep sight installed so I can be as accurate as possible for long range playing. Now I just need to find an engraver to scratch some cavedrawings on my receiver. :bigsmyl2:

boom ? and bong ? ROFLMAO !!!!!! [smilie=l:

357maximum
01-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Maybe if I drill the right sized hole into the ball I can get that kewl mortar whistle sound on the way in.[smilie=l:

John Taylor
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
This one shoots a ball with three holes, makes for some weird noises.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/Mortargoingoff.jpg

missionary5155
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Good afternoon 357..
I have both calibers and I generally choose the 58 for hunting and the 54 for shooting. The 58 (.57 patched) really puts the "whallop" on a whitetail. I never lost a corn cruncher popped with the 58. Never had a RB not exit. Only "Double" I ever got was two does standing side by side. One was about a foot down the hill side. She was the intended target. Snapped her backbone and lung punched the other clean through. 1-66 twist with 85 grains of Pyrodex. One shot & a whole lot of meat and work. I do not know if the 54 (.53 Rb patched) would have done the same. Anyway I Vote 58 !
Glad you did also.

475BH
01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Could you put a .45 or .50 cal. cartridge barrel on it and use paperpatched bullets?
It seems that would be the ultimate long range underhammer rifle.

357maximum
01-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Could you put a .45 or .50 cal. cartridge barrel on it and use paperpatched bullets?

A fast twist .50 cal barrel such as you speak is getting fitted for just such an endeavor right now. It was not a cartridge barrel but was the best thing I could think to do with a cheap plastic BIC disposable 209 inline that held ZERO interest for me personally. :-P Hack er off and thread er up.:holysheep

It is going to take all summer just to figger out what the big bundle of barrels I sent to a dear and talented friend for breechplug fittings all want and are capable of. These underhammers are the Blackpowder equivalent of the contender.........pop another barrel on and change the toys personality...gotta love that.....plus they is kinda cute and very accurate with super lock times....win ...win....win.

475BH
01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I heard that on the Contender, I have a couple and several barrels.
And I do like the looks of those Underhammers.

buckweet
01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
This one shoots a ball with three holes, makes for some weird noises.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/Mortargoingoff.jpg

ahhh !!! the bowling ball cannon strikes again !!!

that, is soooo kool !:bigsmyl2:

buckweet
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM

yes, yes, and yes.

dont fall under .357max's spell....

he torments me with pictures of underhammers, in fact ? i now have to many, and getting them set up. for swapping out barrels also. .62 ... .58 ... .45 and ... .36

i just love these underhammers, ....

but also . now have a, Lyman GPR in .50 and .54 .... the .50 is roundball. the .54 is conicals, 1:30 twist.

my dad gave me his old lyman. . i just swapped for the drop in .54 barrel.

John Taylor
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
ahhh !!! the bowling ball cannon strikes again !!!

that, is soooo kool !:bigsmyl2:

It's a mortar not a cannon. This is the canon.
http://johntaylormachine.com/typo3temp/pics/c10a458df7.jpg

I don't have ether one anymore, no place to shoot them if I did. I do have another canon barrel and wheels, just need to get it all together.

I have located some more hammers and triggers for the under hammers, will get some on order.

KCSO
01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Of course you can only shoot those once a year, on... mortar's day?

buckweet
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM

:shock:oop's.... mortar....ok, gotcha.

now those cannon looks great, went thru pea ridge arkansaw, the civil war site.
spent all day there.

very interesting place

I don't have ether one anymore, no place to shoot them if I did. I do have another canon barrel and wheels, just need to get it all together.

I have located some more hammers and triggers for the under hammers, will get some on order.

.................................................. .........

buckweet
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM

motar..... ok

twotoescharlie
01-22-2010, 02:12 PM
one of my underhammers has a .62 cal. rifled longhammock barrel on it. it is tapered and has a good balance to it, still working up loads for it. was shooting 70g 3fg bluejean patch,.600 ball this week. shooting 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards,which is pretty good for me with open sights. know it will do better as barrel gets broken in and a better load is worked up.

TTC