PDA

View Full Version : I love it!

docone31
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Went to the range with the wife yesterday.
I had put on a new scope and wanted to sight it in. Bore sighted, loaded a MilSurp round, 7.62, and fired. Almost nest to the target. I use a sand back to sight in, I can see where the rounds go.
Three rounds and I was on the point. I had brought some old paper patches I had made. Loaded them, and as usual, they hit a little high.
After about a couple of years, the paper patched loads were still intact. What little wax I used did not yellow, or was there any issues with the patches.
Load and fire!
The range got some primers. I am a member so I can get a brick. One brick! 35$!
Well, it went home.
The range officers all gathered around my wife and myself at the range. Hardly any semi-s, One AK in semi, two Bushmasters. The rest were .22s. Used to be, high power, now mostly .22s.
CHANGE.
The old timers, like my paper patched loads. They like to see them fire.
No more berm mineing, few high powers.
LOts of room at the range. I got sighted in pretty good.

303Guy
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
That's great!:drinks:

Encouraging too, that they last.

phatman
01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Great Job,

Now keep going back to that range so people can see what you are doing.
They will be interested, they will begin to want, and before you know it you will have caused Change to happen again.

Change is not necessarily bad, it just need to be manipulated.

John

docone31
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I need to NUDGE it.
No way though. People are falling behind. When foreign ammo was available, the range was packed. Today it is different.
At least there is room to shoot.
The coolest thing, people come to watch my wife shoot! She has a G63 Swede in 7.62.
That gets their attention, especially when she outshoots them with they haveing scopes.
We have paper patched loads, and peep sights.
Hehehehe.
They all give us their brass and leave.

Sprue
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I just stumbled on this post and remembered something that I heard recently.

Just a few days ago, I don't know whether I read this or heard it from one of those CSI programs. Anyway what ever the source may have been I heard/read that paper patching leaves no finger print to the rifle. Sounds conceivable. I thought that was interesting where true, or not. Oh well....carry on. [smilie=2:

montana_charlie
01-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I don't know whether I read this or heard it from one of those CSI programs. Anyway what ever the source may have been I heard/read that paper patching leaves no finger print to the rifle.
Yeah, but you know those CSI types. It might take two commercial breaks, but they will search until they find your confetti...and identify your rifle from that.

On top of that, they'll figure out which store you bought the paper from, the clerk who sold it to you, and her counterfeiter brother...who caused the state of Dubai to go bankrupt by buying their gold with phony money.

Stay tuned...

CM

cheese1566
01-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I just stumbled on this post and remembered something that I heard recently.

Just a few days ago, I don't know whether I read this or heard it from one of those CSI programs. Anyway what ever the source may have been I heard/read that paper patching leaves no finger print to the rifle. Sounds conceivable. I thought that was interesting where true, or not. Oh well....carry on. [smilie=2:

I seen the same theory in the sniper movie "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg.

Willbird
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
That was a bullet that had already been fired in another rifle, recovered, then paper patched and fired again :-).

Bill

docone31
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Ain't Hollywood great!

Sprue
01-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Thats where I heard it........

I seen the same theory in the sniper movie "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg.

bcp477
01-22-2010, 09:43 PM
This rumour has come up before.....and it is ONLY just that....a rumour, nothing more. There is NO truth to the idea that a paper-patched bullet is not imprinted with the rifling pattern when fired. It certainly IS. So, as regards forensic ballistics..... a recovered paper-patched bullet can be used to identify the particular gun from which it was fired.... just as any other.

Note: I am well aware that most everyone here already knows this - I am simply stating it clearly for the benefit of anyone who happens by.....who doesn't already know this. I think it is critically important to dispel such nonsense, as soon as it pops up. Just my opinion.