PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Trouble

sirgknight
01-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I purchased a Frankford Arsenal tumbler a little over a year ago and have used it sparingly. It's not like I use it every day -- maybe once a month and then for only two or three hours. Anyway, I turned it on the other day and it just hummed. I turned it off and on again and it started tumbling. It has done that now several times and each time it takes more switching on and off for it to start tumbling. Is there something that I can do to correct this problem or has it just about had it? Is it possible to take it apart and lube it or something? It seems that it should last a longer life than I have experienced, especially when I hear how long and how many cases some of you have tumbled.

c3d4b2
01-19-2010, 11:16 PM
I do not know if this will help....

I have not had this issue with tumblers, however my house fans do this. I add some oil and they run good for a while until the next time they need oil.

ANeat
01-19-2010, 11:25 PM
You should be able to oil the shaft on the motor. Probably has some type of bushings. Couple drops of some good gun oil

docone31
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Call Midway, they stand behind what they sell.

GP100man
01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
It`s funny how things work out !!
I just finished repairin a Georgia Arms tumbler it would only hum also ,

Took the motor off & found it had the good ball brng motor but had shook until the mount for the armature was wallowed out .

I shimmed it with a pop can for a shim , I had to tap the brngs into the mount .
It`s runnin fine now & quiter than ever!!

01-20-2010, 12:41 AM
I'd call Midway, too. They stood behind one of their products, after it failed...sent a new one.

Lloyd Smale
01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
look at the motor under the bottom cover and you will see a small counterweight that creates the vibration. Ive seen them jammed with junk before i once had one do what yours is doing and it had a piece of a plastic garbage bag wrapped around it.

Edubya
01-20-2010, 08:57 AM
There is a lot of dust created in the tumbling of brass. I wouldn't think that we want to oil much of anything, but a good blowing out of the motor every once in a while wouldn't be wrong.
EW

Spector
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Around 1990 I bought a Vibra-Shine timbler at a gun show. It started making a lot of racket in short order. I too found a ball bearing motor. I had to shim the bearing with a layer of aluminum coke can and it worked fine for years. Several years ago it began to act up. I took it apart and lubricated the bearings. Something nust have not go back together right because I too would get humming until I spul the motor by the fan and then turned in on. Finally I tore it back down last year and reassembled the shim and bearing. It runs fine again now. The company may have repaired it for free in the beginning, but I didn't want to take the time. If it's not a ball bearing motor check for play in the bearing and see if something is dragging. I just like mine to run as quietly as possible.......Mike

sirgknight
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Well, I finally talked myself into taking the thing apart..what did I have to lose? Nothing binding the shaft or fan fins.....balance weight intact. Motor won't run, just hums. With a spin or two of the fins the motor starts running, but won't restart without assistance with a spin. While I had it apart I did put a little sewing machine oil around the little bearing at the end of the shaft. I also took the armature out and gently polished it with my wire brush on the bench grinder. It shines like new but it didn't help the motor at all. It still requires a little assistance with a spin. I pulled up my purchase history and discovered that I bought this item in march 2007, almost three years ago. Oh well.....I just ordered a Lyman 1200 from Cabelas; it was the best price I could find.....$55 shipped. I'm going to leave the metal plate off of the bottom of my Frankford and use it until it stops completely, which probably won't be long. Thanks everybody.....