PDA

View Full Version : Cast load for my SKS rifles

res45
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I've been working on some cast bullets loads for my SKS rifles for a couple weeks using the Lee .312 160 gr.tumble lube gas check bullet. I finally settled on 12.5 grs. of Alliant 2400 the MAX load in the 7.62 x 39 case would be 15.0 grs. This load is very accurate in both my Chinese and Yugo SKS producing simular groups,no leading and cycles both rifles dropping the brass about 5' from my shooting position.

The Yugo seem to see a bit flatter and not require as much sight elevation as the Chinese,in the standard Chinese SKS a rear sight leaf adjustment of 400 meters was required to hit the same point of aim with the cast bullet as the factory 123 gr. ball would at a 100 meter rear sight setting. I used the same 400 meter setting on the Yugo and it shot high by several inches as the target shows,so 200 or 300 meter setting is probably going to be more appropriate for the Yugo.

The TL GC bullets were cast from straight WW alloy and water quenched,lubed once with Lee Alox that has been thinned with mineral spirits 1 oz. to the 4 oz, bottle of Alox and allowed to dry overnight,gas checks were then seated with a Lee .314 sizing die with no sizing applied to the bullet. Then TL once more and allow to dry before loading.

5 shots 50 yds. no sight adjustments corrections on first test shots

dubber123
01-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Nice shooting! I've been meaning to try cast in my SKS's, but I never seem to get around to it.

badgeredd
01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Looks to me like you have a good load. I haven't seen very many SKSs shoot any better with j-words. :bigsmyl2:

Edd

res45
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
On a side note I have a question,I've been using the Lee FCD for crimping. I seat the bullet right to the edge of the crimp groove and use a med. weight crimp so as not to deform the bullet but hold it securely in place since I'm running these through a semi auto,I'm able to wipe the lube of the exposed part of the cast bullet without it moving in the case.

I"m wondering if maybe the built in roll crimp would be more appropriate,to use with the Lee TL design than the FCD and if I'm crimping it in the correct place or should I set it up to crimp on the lower TL band below the crimp groove with the FCD. Loading cast rifle bullets is all new to me so I'm just double checking my loading process.

VintageRifle
01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
That is a group I would like to see come from my SKS. Think I will start working on that again.

35remington
01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I personally prefer a roll crimp to a LFC on the cast bullet.

Reason being the roll crimp irons out of the case on firing, the Lee Factory Crimp does not. Picture the bullet's soft lead bearing surface being scored by the unexpanded crimp ring when it starts out of the case under the primer impulse and before the pressure gets very high.

Now, this may make no difference in accuracy in a practical sense. Then again it might. Testing both ways would be appropriate. It could be argued with groups like that you're not doing much harm so you're okay. More crimp may make things worse. Maybe.

It is possible with a brittle alloy like linotype to chop the bullet in half with an overzealous but possible Lee Factory Crimp on your SKS rounds.

Ask me how I know.

The crimper is set up to crimp bullets as small as .309".....at least mine is. It's possible to ravage a .314" bullet pretty severely if you're not careful.

res45
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks 35remington,I've have a lot of experience with the FCD on various rds. of ammo over the years but not with cast bullets in a rifle,I understand about not getting overzealous with the FCD especially on lead bullets.

I've loaded some of the Lee 155 grs. with the traditional grease groove before a friend sent me,I used the FCD on those,they were sized to .311.5 which was a little undersized for my bore,they shot decent about a 2" group but leaded the bore some and had a good bit of buildup in the gas tube and on the piston after 25 rds. I'm not having any of those problems with my cast bullet loads.

I loaded a few test rds. yesterday using the roll crimp vs. the FCD loads I shot the posted target with, but weather want let me test them today. I'm looking forward to seeing the results,I'm after accuracy where I end up using the FCD or roll crimp doesn't make much difference,I just want to produce the most consistent and accurate ammo I can.