PDA

View Full Version : What does Re10x look like?

Marlin Junky
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I've only used Re7 from the Alliant Reloder series of powders and was wondering if 10x is anything like Re7 in terms of kernel size and metering properties. A pic of 10x next to 7 would be nice for comparison.

Thanks,
MJ

Eutectic
01-20-2010, 11:13 AM
I've only used Re7 from the Alliant Reloder series of powders and was wondering if 10x is anything like Re7 in terms of kernel size and metering properties. A pic of 10x next to 7 would be nice for comparison.

Thanks,
MJ

MJ,

I won't post a picture as my Rel7 is older USA Hercules manf. I've heard the newer Swede Re7 is smaller kerneled but haven't seen it myself.

I see on another thread you are interested in 10x in .35 Rem or .444... Here I see strong possibility if you are familiar/comfortable with load development on your own as data isn't out there....

I weigh all rifle loads... But have "thrown enough" to know it (10x) will meter well. 10x physical appearance is very slightly larger than my older Re7 or H322. It would be similar to newer H-4198 only with shorter kernel length. It is quite dense.

Any application where Re7 is fast an sensitive while Re15 proves too slow might well be a nitch for 10x in my opinion.... Alliant is missing the boat NOT developing data for the family of large caliber and or straight walled cases where its (10x) burning rate and density may well be optimum.

How do I know this? Well, I have used 10x in my long throated Ruger #1 .405 Winchester. With 300gr "J" words 10x is faster, more uniform, and more accurate than ALL other powders tested! I have thought of the .35 Rem just haven't got there yet.

I REPEAT THOUGH.... One is on their own with it as I have seen no data so far for the application we speak of. SO YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN MJ.... I am confident of my testing of it, but it hasn't been through a pressure gun.

Eutectic

Marlin Junky
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Eutectic,

Thank you for the input. 10x looks good in the 35 and 444 from a QuickLoad standpoint and I'll probably order a 5 pounder each of 7 and 10x just to get a little more flexibility with respect to those cases. I normally check every charge on a digital scale when going for accuracy loads and don't mind throwing a couple back out of 25 or 30 but I don't want to incorporate the trickler in my loading sessions. The only powder I don't need to check on the digital scale is H380 which usually gets loaded into 30-30 maximum loads with 190-200 grain boolits.

MJ