PDA

View Full Version : Reamer question

peter nap
01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I've been thinking about trying a standard run of the mill reamer from McMaster to chamber for a wildcat.

I honestly don't see why a reamer like I use on AR rings with a properly sized piolet can't be used to lengthen a chamber.

There must be a reason because I don't know anyone that's done it.

ANeat
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
What caliber? Many chambers have a bit of taper, some very little, some quite a bit.

Most reamers cut a straight hole, unless you get a tapered reamer ;)

swheeler
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I would want a pilot that was as close fit as possible on the lands, and doubt that is possible with a std run of the mill reamer.

peter nap
01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
What caliber? Many chambers have a bit of taper, some very little, some quite a bit.

Most reamers cut a straight hole, unless you get a tapered reamer ;)

Straight wall 12 FH improved

peter nap
01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I would want a pilot that was as close fit as possible on the lands, and doubt that is possible with a std run of the mill reamer.

I was thinking of a removable pilot, turned to land diameter and the reamer hole enlarged to take the pilot shank.

something like this with a pilot added
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/reamers/ChuckingReamersRoundShanksStraight.gif

Cactus Farmer
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Ever drill a hole in the end of one of those reamers? I would like to watch you try........

Any other way to attach to pilot? And keep it perfectly centered? I grind tools and I build reamers but not that way....

peter nap
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Like I said, there had to be a reason.

JIMinPHX
01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
For straight wall calibers like .38 special going to a longer chamber like a .357 mag, you could probably get away with a plain straight decimal reamer. For a tapered, or bottleneck cartridge, you had better get the real thing. If you want your wild cat to be something like a .32 super duper long straight wall, then you probably have a viable project.

peter nap
01-19-2010, 06:47 PM
For straight wall calibers like .38 special going to a longer chamber like a .357 mag, you could probably get away with a plain straight decimal reamer. For a tapered, or bottleneck cartridge, you had better get the real thing. If you want your wild cat to be something like a .32 super duper long straight wall, then you probably have a viable project.

4" straight walled 12 gauge hull

ANeat
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
If you had access to a lathe you could just bore it out

peter nap
01-19-2010, 07:17 PM
If you had access to a lathe you could just bore it out

That's the problem, I don't. I already have one Handi chambered for the FH but it wasn't cheap. If I have anymore done, might as well buy the ready made reamer.

Cactus Farmer
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
That FH will have a forcing cone on the end where the chamber is transitioned to the barrel. The chucking reamer does not. It has a 45 degree lead in taper. Forcing cones are necessary to lessen recoil and to help center the slug/shot charge in the tube. Reamers do these things all at once. A forcing cone could be ground on a chucking reamer but you wouldn't have a lot of straight reamer left. My chamber/forcingcone reamers are 6+ inches long and they are sharpened to cut by hand. Most chucking reamers are run in a lathe or drill press,ie,under power with force on the reamer. Chambers are cut mostly by hand or lathe power if you dare . Broken reamers and ringed chambers can result from improper use of power on chamber reamers.

It sounds like you want to try so go ahead but be prepared to ruin a Handy gun. Gunsmithing is pricey for a reason. I get paid for what I know not so much for what I do.

Willbird
01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Guys like Dave Kiff of Pacific tool and gauge earn their money when they make a custom chambering reamer for like $150 each.

peter nap
01-20-2010, 01:15 AM
That FH will have a forcing cone on the end where the chamber is transitioned to the barrel. The chucking reamer does not. It has a 45 degree lead in taper. Forcing cones are necessary to lessen recoil and to help center the slug/shot charge in the tube. Reamers do these things all at once. A forcing cone could be ground on a chucking reamer but you wouldn't have a lot of straight reamer left. My chamber/forcingcone reamers are 6+ inches long and they are sharpened to cut by hand. Most chucking reamers are run in a lathe or drill press,ie,under power with force on the reamer. Chambers are cut mostly by hand or lathe power if you dare . Broken reamers and ringed chambers can result from improper use of power on chamber reamers.

It sounds like you want to try so go ahead but be prepared to ruin a Handy gun. Gunsmithing is pricey for a reason. I get paid for what I know not so much for what I do.

No forcing cone. It runs right up to the rifling on mine.
I doubt I will try it because of the pilot. I'm going to try drilling one of my AR reamers first. I don't use them anymore.

Handi barrels are only $40.00 or so used and easy to find.