PDA

View Full Version : .357 loaded on .38 dies

JudgeBAC
06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Can you load .357 mag on .38 special dies? I have two sets of carbide .38 special dies and would like to set one set up for .357 mag if possible.

klausg
06-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Judge-you sure can, you'd just need to adjust them out/up for expanding & bullet seat/crimp. I use a .38/.357 set that includes a spacer ring; so mine are adjusted for .38 and I throw the spacer in for expansion/seating, (you don't need it for sizing). Take care.

-Klaus

JudgeBAC
06-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks: I didnt think there was any logical reason you couldnt but I'd rather ask than be sorry.:castmine:

Leftoverdj
06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
RCBS and C-H sold at various times spacer washers to lift .38 Special dies the correct amount to load .357 without resetting the dies. Never caught on, and I never used them, but they looked like a neat idea.

Pepe Ray
06-02-2006, 11:08 PM
How old are they, if they'r RCBS.
I don't know what year RCBS changed their designs BUT in the 70's they made TWO DIFFERENT SETS, SPECIFICALLY FOR 38sPL & 357mAG. THEY WERE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. If the FL sizer has the decapping pin in it your OK .
Pepe Ray

versifier
06-03-2006, 12:36 AM
RCBS & Redding make the spacer washer. .38spec/.357mag is .135" thick. As mentioned, you just need the washer on the expander and the seater. Simple and easy to use. I've been using my RCBS set for 25yrs. You don't need a second set of dies. Get the washer and save yourself the hassle of resetting. Sell the second set of dies and buy another mould to play with instead.

JudgeBAC
06-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks: I found the Redding spacer at Midway. I will order it soon since I need a set of six banger handles anyway. :castmine: :mrgreen:

Pepe Ray
06-03-2006, 02:55 PM
With the decapping pin being mounted on the case expander/flairer at a set length (38 Vs. 357), and the crimping ring at a set length. how do you get by without owning both sets of dies? at least initially. :confused: Pepe ray

Four Fingers of Death
06-03-2006, 07:09 PM
The only trouble I've ever had is when I lent my dies to a 'friend' who had a batch of 38 cases that i have him and his dies where 357 specific and he couldn't seat the bullets properly. I told him to use them as I had aboout three thousand loaded up at that stage. He returned them a few months later. Funny thing was when I went to reload about a year later, I couldn't seat bullets in the 38 cases either perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*&%$#K!

As I now load and shoot large quantities of both, I have two sets of dies, they are not that expensive and it saves a lot of jerking about, I just pull the dies out and start loading, easy peasy. Actually I have three thinking of it. 357 carbine loads, 38SWC loads and 38 Wadcutter loads Mick.

Four Fingers of Death
06-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I have the extra sets as a set of dies because it is not much dearer for a whole set than a spare seating die.

Blackwater
06-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Years ago, I had a machinist friend make me a .135" thick spacer washer that I used with some carbide RCBS .38 dies, and this has worked beautifully for me for many years. I size using the .38 sizer, then use the spacer washer for neck expanding and then for seating. Never had a problem of any kind, but you DO have to make sure your crimp die and expander are adjusted just right, or there could be problems, I guess. Spacer washer was free, or rather, favor for favor, actually. Can't beat that price, or the results it has given me either.

TedH
06-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks: I found the Redding spacer at Midway. I will order it soon since I need a set of six banger handles anyway. :castmine: :mrgreen:
I've got an extra RCBS spacer that I will give you if you want it. Just PM me your address.

Pepe Ray
06-04-2006, 02:42 PM
When using one of the "old" RCBS 38Spl Expander decaper dies, how do you pop the primers out of a 357 case w/o over expanding the case? Like wise ,how do you seat and crimp a bullet in a 38Sp case with a 357Mag seater die, using a spacer? Some one please help me out here. Pepe Ray

doc25
06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
if you have .357 dies they will not reload .38 spec. I couldn't tell you about the .38 die in the .357. I have 2 sets of lee dies in .38 spec. One is set up for .357 mag the other for the .38 spec.

Uncle R.
06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
I have an old set of RCBS dies, probably from the '70s or therabouts, and the box is labeled 38 special / 357 magnum. The 3 die set came with the .135 spacing washer. It works great - no problems at all. I size without the spacer - die screwed tight to shellholder in the usual manner. I use the spacer for 357s in the decap/expand die, and don't need to readjust the die. I also use the spacer for 357s in the seater die, but I'm always loading different bullets so I readjust the die for each application.

slughammer
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
When using one of the "old" RCBS 38Spl Expander decaper dies, how do you pop the primers out of a 357 case w/o over expanding the case? Like wise ,how do you seat and crimp a bullet in a 38Sp case with a 357Mag seater die, using a spacer? Some one please help me out here. Pepe Ray

For an "old" RCBS 38spl Expander/Decapper, you may need to use a longer decap pin. Have you checked the length on yours?

(I think you reversed what you were asking in the second part).
The spacer is for setting up a seat/crimp die FIRST on a 38 spl. cartridge. Then add the spacer to use on .357. If you have a .357 seat/crimp die and it's hitting the shellholder before you can put the crimp on a 38, you'd have to grind it to allow it to go down farther.

JudgeBAC
06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Gentlemen: I just received a spacer graciously donated by TedH. This website is truly a wonderful place to visit with wonderful generous members. Ted, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query and thanks a million for sending the extra spacer.

D.Mack
06-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Pepe ray My decapper pin measured .925 in length. It was very close to perfect for decapping 357, by backing it out a few turns, but to make it better, I cut a small finish nail, about .090in length, and droped it in under the decapping pin. This made the decapping pin long enough to completely control the flare on the mouth of both the 38's and 357 by turning the stem in and out. Buckshot has stated these pins are just roller bearings, so you could also just go to a bearing supply house, and get one an inch long to use for both calibers. DM

Pepe Ray
06-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks to Slughammer & D.Mack.
I'm outa time rite now, so will come back later, maybe next week.
Goin' Bluegrassin'.:-D
Pepe Ray