PDA

View Full Version : 45 long colt success

sucngas
01-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Just thought I would report on a little success I had. I have just begun casting, and my first mold was a lee mold for conicals for my black powder revolver. I figured I'd start simple. So then I had several hundred conicals laying there, measured them with the calipers, and decided they just might work in as a bullet in a 45 long colt. They measured somewhere between .451 and .452, so they were slightly undersized. But I pan lubed them, cut them out of the cake with a 45/70 case. I drilled the back of the 45/70 case so I could push them out with a nail. It's not an ideal bullet for the 45 long colt, as they weigh only 200 grains, but they worked very well. I loaded them over a charge of 2400 powder, to about 1000 fps. The heel of the bullet is slightly tapered, to ease loading in the black powder revolver. This made it unnecessary to flare the case to seat the bullet. I never intended to use these bullets for this purpose, but it's been said it's better to be lucky than good. I just figured I'd post this as a reminder that sometimes, just sometimes, it pays to think outside the box. 8-)

Wireman134
01-20-2010, 12:59 AM
I've been using the Lee 450-200-1R conical for 17 years. Cast w/WW alloy drop out at .452" and a base dia. of .445", works well for what a 196gr. boolit needs to do. Lube grooves are a little shallow for pan lubing but tumble lubed with allox works well. Even use them in my .45 ACP for the 1911. :idea::idea::idea:

shooting on a shoestring
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Gee, .45 Colt and 200 gr boolits. Well, .45 Colt does great with everthing from #12 bird shot to round balls to 325 gr boolits. Why not shoot your conicals? They seem to be rather middle of the road projectiles for the cartridge.