PDA

View Full Version : help with Uberti

tanstafl10
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I have an Uberti 1860 and have found a problem with feeding. Only bullet I could get to feed was a 200 gr Cowboy bullet (round nose flat nose).

I think I was spoiled by the Model 94 in same calibre... it feeds everything I tried. The 1860 hung up with all types and weights of SWC. different weights all with different profiles. all got hung up on the shoulder.

Is the nature of the beast because of the "in-line" elevator versus the 94's slanted lift plate?? Anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

Irascible
01-19-2010, 12:22 AM
The secret with the '73 is to have the loaded cartridge length only slightly shorter than the "elevator". With too short an OAL the next round in the tube magazine protrudes into the elevator. Too long a round will still be sticking out and into the magazine tube opening.
I also found that the Chambers on the Uberti's are tight. Be sure you are full length sizing the cartridges and that the bullet is not to fat at the front end. I designed a bullet using the flat nose designed by Dixie Slugs and it's too fat to chamber in the Uberti, although it feeds just fine in my Marlin '94. Try inserting a loaded round directly into the chamber to see if it goes all the way in.

NickSS
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
It could be that your elevator is not precisely aligning the bullet with the chamber. I have the same rifle but only shoot 250 gr round nose flat points in it. I have never tried shooting semi wad cutters as I have had too many issues with too many lever action rifles to want to fool with them. The RNF all work if the OAL is correct for the action.