PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs 1903A4 question

Coolhand
01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Guys, I received my Gibbs 1903A4 today. It is missing the rear trigger guard screw. It is supposed to have one right? Thanks

StarMetal
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Guys, I received my Gibbs 1903A4 today. It is missing the rear trigger guard screw. It is supposed to have one right? Thanks

Absolutely....that is the rear action screw too. Give them a call see if they'll send one to you.

Joe

Coolhand
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
Sorry guys, found the screw laying in the case. It appears they stripped it when installing, and I guess the tension and handling caused it to pop out. I was able to get it to start and screw back in. I just hope it holds. Pretty dissapointed...

StarMetal
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Sorry guys, found the screw laying in the case. It appears they stripped it when installing, and I guess the tension and handling caused it to pop out. I was able to get it to start and screw back in. I just hope it holds. Pretty dissapointed...

For temporary fix you may be able to go down to your local hardware, maybe even Lowes, and see if you can find a screw in the machine screw section that is the same thread. Even an Allen head one can work till you get the right one. You need to have that action anchored at both ends, not necessarily for a safety reason, but to get consistent groups and to not split your stock.

Joe

Shiloh
01-18-2010, 11:58 PM
For temporary fix you may be able to go down to your local hardware, maybe even Lowes, and see if you can find a screw in the machine screw section that is the same thread. Even an Allen head one can work till you get the right one. You need to have that action anchored at both ends, not necessarily for a safety reason, but to get consistent groups and to not split your stock.

Joe

Maybe you can find something at a hardware store. Probably not. I think it is 1/4x25 tpi.

It is risky. You could do further damage by trying to force one in that "Almost Fits" such as a 1/4x20.

Go here instead.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=516380B&CatID=11901&mySort=2

Shiloh

StarMetal
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Maybe you can find something at a hardware store. Probably not. I think it is 1/4x25 tpi.

It is risky. You could do further damage by trying to force one in that "Almost Fits" such as a 1/4x20.

Go here instead.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=516380B&CatID=11901&mySort=2

Shiloh

Should call Gibbs for a free replacement. So hardwares have a specialized screw section. I'm not sure what the thread on that is, but if it's a 1/4x28 such hardware stores will have it. Also if the screw I'm looking for has good enough threads on it I take it along with me, if not I take a gauge. Those receivers are case hardened pretty good and hard, thus why the screw was stripped not the receiver. I'm sure the poster is sensible enough not to force a wrong screw.

Joe

Hardcast416taylor
01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I`d go after whom ever I bought the rifle from! Let them go after whom ever they got it from. You paid a good bit of pocket change for this rifle - you have a reason to have the hair standing up on the back of your neck over this problem. Forget about the hardware store for a bolt unless you are really desperate.Robert

Coolhand
01-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. I work in a plant and deal with this kind of problem alot. I don't think i'll have any problem getting a correct replacement screw. I just wonder if I should run the proper tap thru the threads to make sure I don't ruin the new screw. Like someone said, the receivers are hardened.

MtGun44
01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Make sure you know the proper thread, it is likely to be nonstandard. In those days
many gun designs seemed to actually avoid standard threads, although maybe it was
just that the standards weren't very "standard" yet.

You may need to buy a high dollar special tap from Brownell's like I had to do for
1911 grip screws - try to find a .150-50 tap used anywhere else in the world.

Bill

StarMetal
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Make sure you know the proper thread, it is likely to be nonstandard. In those days
many gun designs seemed to actually avoid standard threads, although maybe it was
just that the standards weren't very "standard" yet.

You may need to buy a high dollar special tap from Brownell's like I had to do for
1911 grip screws - try to find a .150-50 tap used anywhere else in the world.

Bill

I believe it was Shiloh that had it right he guessed it was 1/4x25.
That indeed is an odd thread.

Joe

Coolhand
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Update, I sent an email to Gibbs customer service describing my problem. They responded within 1 hour and told me a new screw will be in the mail tomorrow morning. We'll see...

KCSO
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Geez if a 1000 dollar rifle comes with the rear gaurd screw stripped it needs to go back. This just ain't right. If that screw isn't tight and I tighten mine with a torque wrench, you won't get sny accuracy. If the screw is bad chances are the action will at least need to be chased out and that thread is special order only.

Coolhand
01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Does anyone on here know the thread for sure? I would get the correct tap and chase the threads before using the new screw.

docone31
01-19-2010, 10:49 PM
I believe it is 25.
When I replaced my 03-A3 trigger guard screws, I first went to the Hardware store. I got 1/4-28.
Nope.
The ones I got from Numerich were the correct ones, but, the new stock I made, the length had to be reworked.
In terms of rethreading the reciever, they are hard!!!! I might consider another alternative.
I went to 1/4-20 Allen Head machine screws. They are grade 8. They cut threads by themselves. Quite by accident, it worked, but, I wouldn't do it again.

MtGun44
01-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Taps are expensive, like I figured.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=26029/pid=17079/sku/Plug_Tap__1_4_25__3__17_64

$22.34 + shipping.

Bill

docone31
01-19-2010, 11:40 PM
It might be 1/4-24 instead of 1/4-25. If that is the case,
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=335927
A little more reasonable.
I have one, and I looked at it. I cannot tell. Definately not 28 though. Not 20 either.
Don't you love it.

Frank46
01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Just looked it up 1/4x25 is what you need. Frank

Coolhand
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get a 1/4-25 tap and try it out.

jgaynor
01-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Definately 1/4 - 25 TPI !!!

Adam Nehrt
01-25-2010, 01:06 AM
These people at gibbs amaze me, what kind of stuff will we here about with these rifles next! Coolhand did you check the pic's of the rifle I got against yours? A.N.

TAWILDCATT
01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
those rifles were parade rifles in all probability.look on the cut off and see if it looks odd.the bolts were also welded on firing pin hole.and on barrel reciever.
it should have a new barrel or a replacement barrel.I bought a parade rifle and it was a disaster.since the ATF found the guns were being restored they made sure the rest could not be.the whole bottom of receiver and right side rail is cut out.

Coolhand
01-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Update: I ran a 1/4 - 25 tap thru the threads just to make sure they were ok. Installed the new screw Gibbs provided with a little blue Loctite. Removed the scope and applied the blue Loctite to all the mount screws, reinstalled and tightened properly. I removed, cleaned, and inspected the bolt. I can find no evidence the bolt or receiver was ever welded on. Now i'm ready for a range test with my Garand match reloads. On a different note, the stock is really nice but I wish it had a darker finish. Is there any way to rub it down with some type of oil to darken it up without doing a complete refinish?